Repurposing the "old" Wavecor Ardent cabinet?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wayman
    • May 2014

Repurposing the "old" Wavecor Ardent cabinet?

Hi,
    When I built my cabinets I had always intended it to be primarily a learning experience. So not much in the way of a build thread, etc. They came out better than I expected with the tools on hand but I would still like to do a "final" version that will do justice to this speaker.

The old cabinets are spoken for as a house warming gift for my niece providing they actually make some music. But when looking around for woofers to replace them I'm seeing these really are quite unique. The cabinet seems to small for any other pair of 8" woofers so I'll probably have to go with a single.

And my budget is pretty low for these. My niece has a low end stereo & listens to (sigh) dance party stuff.

But what to do with the old cabinets? Any suggestions?

Cheers, Wayne
  • neuro
    • Oct 2007

The Dayton Audio RSS210 has a suggested volume of 0.55 cu. ft. and the Dayton Audio UM8-22 is 0.35 cu. ft. The UM8 is on sale now for $100 and the RSS210 is $105. I've been looking at those drivers for a budget Ardent. What is your definition of "pretty low" budget? The Dayton RS225 woofer is $58. If I were trying to stay super low budget I'd go with a single RS225 and a decent 3" full-range driver (something like the SB Acoustics SB65WBAC25) to make a two-way.
    The speaker becomes nothing like an Ardent but costs way way less (including crossover cost). It's been pointed out in previous discussions of a super low budget Ardent that you really can't build the Ardent crossover on a low budget.

Comment

• Wayman
      • May 2014

"The speaker becomes nothing like an Ardent but costs way way less". This is the perfect tag line. I'm currently "remodelling" a cabinet and I would say it's really easier just to build from scratch. Except, of course, for the Ardent.
      The single rs225 is a great suggestion. I'm also looking @ one of the seas 8" paper woofers with their passive radiator. I'll try modelling it and see how well it works.

Thanks for the feedback!

Cheers, Wayne

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"