X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • newman
    • Nov 2017

Quick Crossover wiring question

Greetings! New entrant to the DIY world. First project was the Quark build. Now in progress with TriTrix MTM TL mains and ported TriTrix center. Have a newbie question on wiring a cross over. Please see picture. Is there any difference in A vs. B? B is how I wired my first cross over but have not used it yet. Then I found the guide from Curt on his website and see that this is wired differently (A). Any help is appreciated.

Best,
    NewmanClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0129.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	872253
  • Heli-Tim
    • Nov 2015

Electrically, these two drawings seem to accomplish the same thing. The "node"on drawing "B" would meter out the same as the red wire on drawing "A" (with all components removed) - except connections. The green system is identical on both.

A more experienced member may have something to add regarding circuit noise through a common node, but my gut feeling is that this would be considered an acceptable equivalent.

I've never built a speaker cross-over before, so take my advice for what it's worth

Comment

• newman
      • Nov 2017

Thanks Heli-Tom. I appreciate it. I did not know if it made a difference for the tweeter and woofer negatives to be connected to the inductor and capacitors in the other networks physically. My thinking, with almost no knowledge, was the the path of least resistance would be to the negative lead, but needed someone with more knowledge to chime in. I will wire up the other two cross overs to match example ‘A’, but did not know if I needed to rewire the one that I already completed. Thanks.
      Last edited by newman; 21 November 2017, 00:28 Tuesday. Reason: Typos

Comment

• Heli-Tim
        • Nov 2015

Originally posted by newman
        ... My thinking, with almost no knowledge, was the the path of least resistance would be to the negative lead, Thanks.
        You are correct, the shorter the wire, the less the resistance. On paper, most people assume a wire is perfect (unless more specific data is needed), and resistance is assumed to be 0r.

If the wire took a route though a component instead of just "passing by it", then it would be a very different scenario.

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"