Anyone interested in designing a smaller WTMW center?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hdale85
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

Anyone interested in designing a smaller WTMW center?

I'm thinking of building some NatalieP's and Modula MT's for my HT setup but the center channel options that are optimal 3 way designs are very large. Was wondering if anyone thought about or would be willing to design a crossover for a WTMW that used the RS28A, RS125's, and RS75 for mid range. OR does anyone think this design would be good enough to match up to some NatP's for HT duty?

Dayton Audio RS125-4 5" Reference Woofer 4 OhmThe Dayton Audio Reference Series sets a new standard of value in high-performance loudspeaker drivers. Utilizing a low-distortion motor system with two short-circuit paths and a rigid aluminum cone, the Reference Series can outperform drivers that cost several times the price. Their low-distortion characteristics and high excursion capabilities provide exceptional clarity, detail, and dynamics. Woofer features a black anodized cone, heavy-duty 6-hole cast frame, low-loss rubber surround, solid aluminum phase plug, and gold terminals.

Maybe even the truncated to get the spacing even closer?

Dayton Audio RS125T-8 5" Reference Woofer Truncated FrameThe Dayton Audio Reference Series sets a new standard of value in high-performance loudspeaker drivers. Utilizing an advanced motor system and a rigid aluminum cone, the Reference Series can outperform drivers that cost several times the price. Their low-distortion characteristics and high excursion capabilities provide exceptional clarity, detail, and dynamics. Woofer features a black anodized cone, heavy-duty cast frame, low-loss rubber surround, solid aluminum phase plug, distortion-reducing magnetic gap copper ring, rubber magnet boot, and gold terminals.

Truncated mid

Dayton Audio RS75T-8 3" Reference Full-Range Driver Truncated FrameThe Dayton Audio Reference Series sets a new standard of value in high-performance loudspeaker drivers. Incorporating a low-distortion motor system with a copper ring, a copper cap, and an aluminum phase plug, the RS75T-8 can outperform "boutique" drivers that cost several times the price. The driver's truncated frame makes it ideal for line arrays and ultra-compact MTM designs requiring minimal driver-to-driver spacing. Its low-distortion characteristics and smooth response provide exceptional clarity, detail, and dynamics. Features a black anodized cone, heavy-duty 4-hole cast frame, low-loss rubber surround, and gold terminals.

Can even get a truncated plate for the RS28

Dayton Audio RS28TF Truncated Faceplate for RS TweetersOptional truncated faceplate for Dayton Audio Reference Series tweeter applications like line arrays or compact mini-monitors that demand reduced frontal area. Precision machined from aluminum and coated with an attractive black anodized finish that matches other RS drivers. Fits the Dayton Audio RS28A-4 and RS28F-4 tweeters, as well as Usher Audio's 9930 and 9950 models.Specifications: • Dimensions: 4-1/8" diameter, 3-1/4" across flats x 3/32" deep. 1-3/4" center hole. Faceplate-to-motor hole spacing: 2-3/8" OC. Faceplate-to-enclosure hole spacing: 3-9/16" OC.

So should be able to get nice spacing in a smaller cabinet size that might actually fit some TV stands out there lol. Although it appears the RS28A is not available anymore? So we'd have to use the RS28F which is fine as it's a drop in replacement for the NatalieP's. I imagine it should fit in the .75 cu ft PE cabinets, maybe a smaller enclosure for custom built.
  • technodanvan
    Super Senior Member
    • Nov 2009

What sort of volume levels are we talking about here? I would think a single RS75 might have a problem with the levels some people are interested in, and I'm not convinced it would offer any tangible improvement over simply an MTM with RS125s. What sort of dimensions are you limited to?
    - Danny

Comment

• Hdale85
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2006

Not necessarily limited by size, Just didn't want an enormous center channel in my living room setup. I wouldn't imagine the RS75 in only midrange duty would have issues with output? But I imagine you could probably fit an RS100 as well if using all truncated mounting plates. This will of course be crossed to a sub so really only need output down to a bit below 80hz. I doubt I'd be pushing anything close to 100dB normally.

Comment

• Hdale85
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2006

I didn't really want to go with an MTM because off axis performance is somewhat important to me.

Comment

• technodanvan
          Super Senior Member
          • Nov 2009

Well in all fairness I barely know what I'm talking about, just playing devil's advocate until someone who knows something about stuff swings on by.

I believe someone made a waveguide for the RS28 series, though I don't know if it's still available.
          - Danny

Comment

• Hdale85
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2006

A 3" midrange should likely be capable of very loud output in a 3 way generally lol. I'm not sure a waveguide is really needed. I want these to timbre match the NatP's.

Comment

• Hdale85
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jan 2006

Seems like 2 RS150's with an RS100T and an RS28FT would fit in a .75 cu ft MTM cabinet from PE pretty well. So that's probably what' I'd try and go for if possible.

Comment

• JonMarsh
                Mad Max Moderator
                • Aug 2000

That a sounds like a good suggestion-

Something to keep in mind is the difficulty of building a small three way crossover... that phrase is something of an Oxymoron.

I should revisit the Neo D CC design, see if I can find good contemporary drivers to work in it. The HiVi D6.8B should work (other than price- but the bass performance is deep and linear for a smallish enclosure) - I'd be more inclined to use the new Dayton Esoteric, though. one of the new SB tweeters or SS could cover the top end. Not inexpensive. And don't forget, currently no RS28a is available, though they are working on a substitute.

Have to give that a little thought... even finding time for that is tough lately! That's what the NeoD CC was designed for, as center channel, though I never got around to using them that way! I'd probably look at redoing the crossover to something more like a simplified Ardent crossover...

But I will need a new CC some day... and CC is important, a lot of center channel dialog and stuff going on.

Stay tuned...
                the AudioWorx
                Natalie P
                M8ta
                Modula Neo DCC
                Modula MT XE
                Modula Xtreme
                Isiris
                Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                Minerva Monitor
                Calliope
                Ardent D

In Development...
                Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                Obi-Wan
                Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                Modula PWB
                Calliope CC Supreme
                Natalie P Ultra
                Natalie P Supreme
                Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Hdale85
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Jan 2006

Yeah I know you've been busy and have a lot of life stuff going on which is why I didn't just send you a message.

The NeoDcc is nice for sure, kind of expensive though. Would it not sound quite a bit different than the NatP's?

I know the RS28A is not around currently, was just figuring I'd use the silk dome version. Kind of sucks that they got rid of it because of how many designs here use it! Going to have a lot of stuff to update maybe?

Comment

• Steve Manning
                    • Dec 2006

Originally posted by Hdale85
                    Yeah I know you've been busy and have a lot of life stuff going on which is why I didn't just send you a message.

The NeoDcc is nice for sure, kind of expensive though. Would it not sound quite a bit different than the NatP's?

I know the RS28A is not around currently, was just figuring I'd use the silk dome version. Kind of sucks that they got rid of it because of how many designs here use it! Going to have a lot of stuff to update maybe?
                    I actually touched base with Dayton and they are moving the manufacturing of the RS28 to another location. Along with that move, they plan on making a few tweaks to improve performance. They did not have a "when" this would all occur.
                    Hold on to your butts - It's about to get Musical!

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Steve Manning
                      I actually touched base with Dayton and they are moving the manufacturing of the RS28 to another location. Along with that move, they plan on making a few tweaks to improve performance. They did not have a "when" this would all occur.
                      Hi Steve,

I don't know how forth coming whoever you talked to was, but I also heard a very reliable rumor that the Rs28F's will soon be gone and there won't be any replacement for about a year. Usher was the manufacturer and they closed their doors. They were recently purchased and are under new ownership who are trying to get production back up and running. But, that puts Dayton replacements out up to 12 months I was told.

That puts a couple designs that Curt and I have done in limbo. I like the RS28F a lot and am sorry to see it fade away, However there are a number of other tweeters at the same price point that could be substituted with a crossover redesign by someone other than us. No drop in's that I'm aware of. For center channel's, Statements II center would be a great choice since they're all voiced the same.

Jim

Comment

• Jonasz
                        • Nov 2004

I believe I read on this forum many moons ago the Vifa XT25 is a drop in as long as the crossover is high enough. I can remember wrong though, it's happened before...

Comment

• JonMarsh
                          Mad Max Moderator
                          • Aug 2000

Looking at current drivers, I think this would be feasible to do with the new Esoteric 7" woofers, given that the operating range will more or less avoid the resonance around 1kHz. RS52 still on the midrange; there might be any number of smaller tweeters that might work, some from SB Acoustics, for example, or if you wanted to spend a bit, maybe one of the newer small form factor Scanspeaks.

Now, if you wanted to go pricey, we have some options for you...

Consider the Accuton AS168 Cell woofers... very nice, and will work even better with the Duelund crossover approach than the Esoterics, due to how the acoustic origin is managed.

This could wind up being a real gem, or diamond in the not so rough- the Sd is about 3/4 of the AS190, but the price is 5/9. Definitely a better value proposition. And a pair can model decently (especially for a center channel) in a 30L enclosure.

I have a pair on order- or rather, back order- not in stock at Madisound. If they have the superb off axis dispersion and very low distortion of the AS190, this will be an interesting driver to work with.

It would be ironic if I get something done with these before anything with the AS190, but such is life...

Steve and I are also thinking about a possible two way, with a custom waveguide built by him, though even with a very low crossover point I tend to doubt it would work all that well as a lay down center channel.

Wonder how long it will take to get them in? I'm guessing several weeks to a month, depending on stock in Germany...

And I have some maple piano pin block ply on hand that would be perfect for the front baffle, going either way...
                          the AudioWorx
                          Natalie P
                          M8ta
                          Modula Neo DCC
                          Modula MT XE
                          Modula Xtreme
                          Isiris
                          Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                          Minerva Monitor
                          Calliope
                          Ardent D

In Development...
                          Obi-Wan
                          Modula PWB
                          Calliope CC Supreme
                          Natalie P Ultra
                          Natalie P Supreme
                          Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Hdale85
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Jan 2006

Lol, I was hoping for something closer to NatP money. I mean I know it's a 3Way so it's not going to be quite as cheap, but Accuton certainly isn't in my vocabulary right now lol.

Comment

• technodanvan
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Nov 2009

Originally posted by JonMarsh
                              That escalated quickly!
                              - Danny

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                Mad Max Moderator
                                • Aug 2000

No reason someone couldn't do something with the RS180 and RS52 and small form factor tweeter- just remember that a three way always sets a higher cost floor because of the crossover- and dealing with the RS180 breakup modes raises the bar compared to better behaved mid woofers.

If I was to do a revised NeoD CC, I'd go with the new Esoteric 7", I think. need to model it in the box to confirm that, but the specs look Ok. It's less expensive than the newer HiVi D6.8, at least.

Now, if you have the ability to have the center channel vertical, just use a NatP to save money. Or, if you don't need a wide listening area, let's say there's just you and one other person that likes to sit close to you, then a NatP laid down is OK- just don't expect good lateral dispersion in the crossover region (1800 Hz) with that format. And that's an important area for speech.

And yeah, I escalated a bit, perhaps too much, but geez, guys, we already have so many WMTW CC's to choose from already with modestly priced drivers.... and TEK and others have been pestering me for something to go with the Ardent's in a compact form factor. This might do it nicely... :T
                                the AudioWorx
                                Natalie P
                                M8ta
                                Modula Neo DCC
                                Modula MT XE
                                Modula Xtreme
                                Isiris
                                Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                Minerva Monitor
                                Calliope
                                Ardent D

In Development...
                                Obi-Wan
                                Modula PWB
                                Calliope CC Supreme
                                Natalie P Ultra
                                Natalie P Supreme
                                Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Hdale85
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Jan 2006

I mean...if we could get a MTM and matching center design that could be done in PE cabinets using the Esoterics for ~1500 parts cost I'd be all for it Most of Jon's stuff that falls outside the NatP and Modula MT don't generally fit that budget though. Love his stuff but aint got that kind of spare cash currently lol.

Comment

• Ray_D
                                    • Apr 2005

Zd3c

Originally posted by JonMarsh
                                    No reason someone couldn't do something with the RS180 and RS52 and small form factor tweeter- just remember that a three way always sets a higher cost floor because of the crossover- and dealing with the RS180 breakup modes raises the bar compared to better behaved mid woofers. :T
                                    Look at the ZD3C; it has been around for a long time and is excellent: http://www.zaphaudio.com/ZDT3.5.html

Comment

• fbov
                                      • Jun 2008

Originally posted by Hdale85
                                      ... get a MTM and matching center design that ... fit that budget ...
                                      Then give in, compromise, and build the Modula MTM CC. It works very well, at a price equal to a pair of NatP's.

Yes, you said no MTMs, but this one's different. Jon did it right, without exceeding driver limits. Crossover is 1100Hz, 1300Hz in my on-wall version, while the M-M center distance of 9" corresponds to 1506Hz. Despite the low crossover, that little tweeter shows no sign of distortion to my HD-sensitive ears. Even the wife noticed a marked improvement in dialog intelligibility - just what you want in a CC.

HAve fun,
                                      Frank

Comment

• fish fingers
                                        • Apr 2015

I'm using the 7" esoterics in a compact tower build with a 3" eton hexcone and ribbon. I cd see a nice centre channel with this combo.. maybe overkill I dunno

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Comment

• agrippa
                                          • Dec 2005

Or you could use this 7". Since Jon pulled an accuton out I thought this one would be fun to work with. Any guesses?
                                          Attached Files
                                          Lady Nancy Astor: "Winston, if I were married to you I'd put poison in your coffee"
                                          Winston Churchill "Nancy, if I were married to you I'd drink it."

Comment

• olu78
                                            • Sep 2012

That driver is the woofer from Paradigm's flagship Persona speaker series.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Comment

• agrippa
                                              • Dec 2005

Originally posted by olu78
                                              That driver is the woofer from Paradigm's flagship Persona speaker series.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
                                              Winner. Beryllium frame. Not cheap
                                              Lady Nancy Astor: "Winston, if I were married to you I'd put poison in your coffee"

Comment

• TEK
                                                Super Senior Member
                                                • Oct 2002

And yeah, I escalated a bit, perhaps too much, but geez, guys, we already have so many WMTW CC's to choose from already with modestly priced drivers.... and TEK and others have been pestering me for something to go with the Ardent's in a compact form factor. This might do it nicely...
                                                With the numbers of Ardents beeing buildt I assume that there are a number of us (including me) that are interested in a matching center channel - although maybe not quite what the thread starter was looking for :W
                                                -TEK

Many of the great achievements of the world were accomplished by tired and discouraged men who kept on working...

Comment

• Carl V
                                                  • Apr 2005

Originally posted by TEK
                                                  With the numbers of Ardents beeing buildt I assume that there are a number of us (including me) that are interested in a matching center channel - although maybe not quite what the thread starter was looking for :W
                                                  I believe Rick Craig did one for one of the ARDENT guys.
                                                  In addition Rick has other Center Channels that might appeal.
                                                  Salk has Some ambitious Center Channels in his SoundScape series.

Comment

• 5th element
                                                    Supreme Being Moderator
                                                    • Sep 2009

Originally posted by agrippa
                                                    Winner. Beryllium frame. Not cheap
                                                    I believe the midrange and tweeters use Be diaphragms but the woofer does not. And none of them use a Be frame.
                                                    What you screamin' for, every five minutes there's a bomb or something. I'm leavin' Bzzzzzzz!
                                                    5th Element, otherwise known as Matt.
                                                    Now with website. www.5een.co.uk Still under construction.

Comment

• agrippa
                                                      • Dec 2005

hmmm.... I think the frame is Beryllium unless their video is wrong

Comment

• fish fingers
                                                        • Apr 2015

Originally posted by agrippa
                                                        hmmm.... I think the frame is Beryllium unless their video is wrong
                                                        Something is, because making a frame from an astronomically expensive and toxic material doesn't make any sense.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Comment

• Hdale85
                                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                                          • Jan 2006

Hmm, well now I'm not sure what I'll do seems the RS28's are no longer available lol. I keep going back and forth on build vs buy..... It's been a while since I've built a speaker.

Comment

Working...
                                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                          Search Result for "|||"