X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • idiot
    • Jul 2017

helping a newb

i'm really new to the whole diy speaker thing but in the last weeks it has really cought my interrest, i have a basic understandign of how a speaker works and i already made a decent build around some old sony speakers. however the speakers where to old to provide a good quality sound.
    my next project is to make a portable bluetooth speaker however i have no idea about how many woofers, subwoofers and tweeters i should put in it or wich to buy, i have everything but the speakers and a friend who can help with the wirering. so my question to you is wich speakers should i buy?

what i need the speaker to do:
    play most kinds of music (not techno and stuff like that but still a good bass)
    not to expensive (budget around 300$)
  • tcpip
    • Oct 2005

Portable speakers are hard to make DIY, because we can't build a small enough enclosure to hold decent drivers, crossover, amp, and control electronics. It's a challenge. So, I'd suggest that you first simplify life by selecting a full range driver, of the kind they use for cars. Then see if you can add a chipamp kit and a Bluetooth module. Both these modules are available pre-assembled and tested from Far Eastern vendors on eBay.

If this basic approach appeals to you, we can discuss further.

Comment

• idiot
      • Jul 2017

the difficulty of the build doesnt really matter to me, and when is say portable i don't mean a speaker you can have in one hand, it's okay if it's heavy since it's meant to be used at festivals, campin etc.

Comment

• tcpip
        • Oct 2005

Originally posted by idiot
        the difficulty of the build doesnt really matter to me, and when is say portable i don't mean a speaker you can have in one hand, it's okay if it's heavy since it's meant to be used at festivals, campin etc.
        Good. In that case, almost any speaker design or kit will do for you. Like the well-known Statement designs or the Modula MTM. Add chipamp, Bluetooth module and power supply inside the enclosure.

Comment

• idiot
          • Jul 2017

but wich speakers should i get? and how many woofers, subs and tweeters should i have in my speaker?

Comment

• tcpip
            • Oct 2005

but wich speakers should i get? and how many woofers, subs and tweeters should i have in my speaker?
            Select a pre-published design. I have named two designs which are very well-known on these forums. Search for them. You will get exact designs, dimensions, which drivers to buy, what the crossover circuit is like, everything. (I hope you know how to build speakers from the design specs?) In particular, the Modula MTM, IIRC, is built on a Parts Express ready-made enclosure, so your woodworking too reduces.

Once you get the design and parts, add a chipamp (there are plenty of inexpensive ones around the LM3886 which will be ideal for a big and strong Bluetooth speaker), a Bluetooth receiver module, and the power supply parts, then put them together.

And the idea of "portable" doesn't go well with lots of drivers or adding subwoofers, IMHO.

Comment

• idiot
              • Jul 2017

how about building it in to a flight case? would the sound be to corrupted if building it directly into the flight case or should i built it into enclosures then put them into the flight case?

Comment

• idiot
                • Jul 2017

and yes as long as there is just a bit of a blueprint i can figure 90% out

Comment

• fish fingers
                  • Apr 2015

Maybe first start with a full range, something decent like the tangband W4 1320.
                  The good thing about this driver is you can then use it as a dedicated mid for future builds, as you get an understanding for building loudspeakers.

Comment

• tcpip
                    • Oct 2005

how about building it in to a flight case? would the sound be to corrupted if building it directly into the flight case or should i built it into enclosures then put them into the flight case?
                    With my limited knowledge of speaker building, I'd say you should build the enclosure separately and then put it into a flight case or any other case. But then your quality expectations may be different from mine.

Comment

• idiot
                      • Jul 2017

i decided to build a mtm with parts from parts express, i found alot of guides and blueprints for it and i wont break the bank so i dont have to worry as much about failing. if i suceed would it then later be possible to at a sub to the build? of course building a new enclosure and some re-wiring would be required.

Comment

• idiot
                        • Jul 2017

https://sites.google.com/site/undefi...htsensationmtm could anyone recomend an amplifier for this build? i would probably build them both into one box with an internal lipo battery to make it into a boombox

Comment

• knifeinthesink
                          • Jan 2006

dayton audio dta-1. These things caused a flap several years ago. I bought a couple and i was never blown away but they were fun, useful, ridiculously cheap. They have the option of battery power so you could just attach them to you cabinet. They are only a bit bigger then two decks of cards side by side.

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"