X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bvbellomo
    • Mar 2013

A friend who liked bose

Hope this thread isn't too out of place. This does seem an impossible mission, and I am sure this group has good advice.

A friend, actually my boss at work, just built a theater room. I was listening when he talked about how huge projection screen is and how amazing his 4k projector, is going to be. Then he said he got done wiring walls for 7 speakers and is going to order his Bose sound theater...

I have no idea what Bose product he was so excited about. But he hasn't listened to anything else, and I at least convinced him that was a bad idea. Bose is the only name he's heard of, so he asked me for other brands. I had a Harmon setup before, so I suggested Infinity and JBL, and after a quick Google search, he got annoyed I'd suggest he waste his time with speakers that are only a few hundred dollars. This puts me into a range I am unfamiliar with, even if my own DIY budget is up there. I quickly thought of Revel, being Harmon's brand and B&W being the brand I considered used instead of going DIY. This at least got him to make an appointment with a local high end shop.

So is whatever salesperson he finds at a high end store going to help him more than the Bose salesperson who just bought a new car thinking his check is coming? If feel like my choices are between sending him to wolves or snakes. And while he is a brilliant software developer, unlike me, he has no interest or knowledge outside software development. I tried and failed miserably explaining why he shouldn't audition rear ported speakers if he is going to wall mount them.

Any advice? Beyond just letting him waste his money?
  • JaxLax
    • Jul 2007

You don't list a location, but I'd venture you're near a major city.
    All of them OUGHT to have at least a few different audio shops with test/audition rooms. Convince him to go to a few (or at least one) with the same CD or movie. Let the guys there flip through a few different brands [don't tell him the brands or the prices]. Just let him see what's out there. Maybe he likes his stuff warmer or more bass heavy or whatever. Then start to tailor to that.
    Bose makes fine speakers for what they are; to me it's like MONSTER CABLE in that they make some good stuff, it's just overpriced to cover their marketing.

I guess you need to win the value argument. Just because one setup costs $5k doesn't necessarily make it a better experience than a $3k that fits the room acoustics better or his aesthetics. Think cars here. There are lots of fast cars, but they don't all cost the same or have the same amenities. There are lots of speakers/setups, but they sound and perform different. Take into account the rooms size, shape, preferred mounting/ locations, visibility (flat black versus piano veneer), etc. Then look for what fits, buying a name brand for the sake of the name brand is like buying a Ferrari and not knowing how to drive stick.

As you said, ported against walls? There's a reason they make in-walls and in-celing designs. They work better in that application.

Comment

• bvbellomo
      • Mar 2013

We work downtown Cleveland and live 25 mile south east

Comment

• wkhanna
        Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2006

my best friend, PewterTA, has made a few purchases here.

edit:

HTG rule#1- there is no such thing as too much power

HTG rule#2- See HTG rule #1

HTG rule#3- friends do not let friends buy bose
        _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
        ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• 5th element
          Supreme Being Moderator
          • Sep 2009

To be honest Revel would be one of my number one go to companies for commercial loudspeakers. Waveguides, suitably chosen xover frequencies with high performance drivers and cabinetry. They do no-nonsense design and actually offer this design ethos across a wide range of products and price points.

If your friend is getting all up about the price of things then he can literally pay as much as he wants. Revel have stuff to cover most of their bases.

I would steer away from B&W in terms of accuracy and neutrality. Their cabinetry and drivers are top notch though. As this is for HT he might actually prefer their tonal balance. But certainly do not let him buy bose
          What you screamin' for, every five minutes there's a bomb or something. I'm leavin' Bzzzzzzz!
          5th Element, otherwise known as Matt.
          Now with website. www.5een.co.uk Still under construction.

Comment

• Navy Guy
            • Oct 2014

He might try Paradigm or for mainly movies Def Tech might be up his alley.
            www.pursuitofperfectsound.com

Comment

• Alaric
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Jan 2006

I'm a fan of Paradigm. Yuuuuge fan. LOL
              Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
              Marantz PM-KI Pearl
              Schiit Modi 3
              Marantz CD5005
              Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• doubleTrouble
                • Mar 2016

Originally posted by Navy Guy
                Def Tech
                I think the Def Tech could be bought only if living in the US.
                I've burned a pair of DefTechs (bought on Amazon, delivered to Australia) and asked their support to send me a pair of replacement woofers for my own expenses. They did not even bother to answer. I just hope they do not ignore US customers.

Comment

• wkhanna
                  Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
                  • Jan 2006

based solely on my experience listing to the the complete Triton Series from Golden Ear, on a purely value vs performance ron, one may wish to consider/audition their HT surround SuperSat Series

LINK
                  _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
                  ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• madmac
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2010

Originally posted by wkhanna
                    my best friend, PewterTA, has made a few purchases here.

edit:

HTG rule#1- there is no such thing as too much power

HTG rule#2- See HTG rule #1

HTG rule#3- friends do not let friends buy bose
                    Yep......dem's are the rules !!!
                    Dan Madden :T

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"