X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chris48
    • Mar 2017

Finding replacement woofer

Hi,

I have an old pair of speakers. About 20 years old. One of the woofers (a Eton 4-480) needs to be replaced because the voice coil is rubbing.

Generally, would it be better to look for a direct replacement (which would be hard) or should I get a more modern, currently available woofer, like the Eton 8-212, without touching the crossover?

The specs of the 4-480 here:-

The specs of the 4-212:-

This page has been removed, but Madisound has thousands of loudspeaker parts. Contact us today at info@madisound.com.
  • ---k---
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Nov 2005

Generally, you want the same, because many factors can influence the crossover.

But, I looked at those two. Very similar. I'm not the crossover guru, so maybe one will speak up. But, I first looked at Sensitivity to see if you would have a mismatch. Both are 91 db. That's perfect. The impedance graphs are to different scales, but look very similar. The Total Q is 0.3 new versus 0.34 for the old. Not too off. Vas = 81 versus 93 for old isn't to bad. Qm is the only one with big differences. I think the new one could be close. If it were me, you have all the data to model both drivers. I'd model both of them in Unibox and overlay the frequency graphs. If the frequency and impedance are close, you're probably good to go with using the new one.
    - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
    CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
    CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• ---k---
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Nov 2005

double post: http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthr...nt-suggestions
      - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
      CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
      CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• chris48
        • Mar 2017

Thank you Ryan. Yes, they are close in specs. But I don't have the expertise/experience like you guys to judge the sonic impacts.

I would want to try the new woofer because (1) easily available with warranty (2) technically superior (they can't be mucking around all those years, right?) (3) hopefully will last another 20 years - can't say that for another of the old driver. So, if the sonic differences are small, I will probably get the new woofer and who knows it might just work out better sounding:W. Wishing thinking??

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"