X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JaxLax
    • Jul 2007

Best way to wire for surrounds?

I've started into my MicroStatement build and am back to contemplating mounting and wiring.

The room has a second floor above it, so I'd have to fish the wire through the joists. Not sure the best way to do it or accomplish, so I'm here.
    There's also the option of running it along the base boards (and tucking under) then up a wall and into the ceiling.

Neither seems very easy or simple or quick.

I do have two junction boxes unused down the middle of the room (splitting it into thirds) that are for uninstalled fans. I could tie some wire and pull it back, but it's (hopefully) stapled and I'm not 100% sure where it's fed from.

So really, what's the easiest way to get wiring to the back wall/ceiling of a room with a second floor and without disturbing any drywall if possible?

I'm going to search around, but wanted to see if there were any links/suggestions you guys had in your back pockets.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.
  • bvbellomo
    • Mar 2013

I'd run wire through the joints, especially if you have access from above (what is the floor above, are the walls finished?). I am using a Dayton wireless transmitter, works well enough for surrounds, but wish I had more power. I only went this route as I anticipate moving. Access for me is an attic with no floor less than 2 feet high in places, not good for a 220lbs guy. And I would do it if I thought I'd be here 2 more years.

Comment

• Kevin D
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Oct 2002

Can you post a picture or two of the room? I see you're in Florida, typical cinder block walls?

Have you verified they are actually open trusses? Lots of options here, but very few without sheetrock patching of some sort.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Kevin D
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Oct 2002

Also you stated tucking under the baseboard, so carpet in this room? Is there carpet in the upstairs room?

Comment

• JaxLax
          • Jul 2007

Originally posted by bvbellomo
          I'd run wire through the joints, especially if you have access from above (what is the floor above, are the walls finished?). I am using a Dayton wireless transmitter, works well enough for surrounds, but wish I had more power. I only went this route as I anticipate moving. Access for me is an attic with no floor less than 2 feet high in places, not good for a 220lbs guy. And I would do it if I thought I'd be here 2 more years.
          No access from above (it's be my bedroom and then my bathroom). Wireless transmitters are out as they aren't wireless (need a power wire).

Comment

• JaxLax
            • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Kevin D
            Can you post a picture or two of the room? I see you're in Florida, typical cinder block walls?

Have you verified they are actually open trusses? Lots of options here, but very few without sheetrock patching of some sort.

Kevin D.
            Walls are frame and insulation. The trusses are open and I have "access". I can sit above the office, but the wall with the TV goes all up with my bed right above it. I have some cable/ethernet wires running up there, but I didn't fish it. Opening/insertion space is about 6" tall.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Top down.webp
Views:	55
Size:	7.4 KB
ID:	940010

Name:	side view.webp
Views:	52
Size:	12.1 KB
ID:	940011
            Last edited by theSven; 10 June 2023, 21:19 Saturday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• JaxLax
              • Jul 2007

Also you stated tucking under the baseboard, so carpet in this room? Is there carpet in the upstairs room?
              Yes. Carpet over slab.
              Yes and then eventually tile as you move into the bathroom.

Comment

• Steve Manning
                • Dec 2006

Depending on the baseboard, you can remove it and router a channel into the backside for wires and then reinstall. Running up the wall chances are you will have to make a few small holes, but if your drywall has a smooth finish should not be too bad to patch a paint once your done.
                Hold on to your butts - It's about to get Musical!

Comment

• Kevin D
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Oct 2002

OK, you can get down the front wall from the attic over the office. Can't tell you how without actually seeing it, but you might need to buy some speciality drill bits.

Is the center all ready on the ceiling, or is that a goal as well? Surrounds on the ceiling as well? It looked like you were building some bookshelves, but they will be mounted from ceiling and not the wall correct?

Which way to the rafters run? I would imagine parallel with TV wall.

Kevin D.

Comment

• JaxLax
                    • Jul 2007

OK, you can get down the front wall from the attic over the office. Can't tell you how without actually seeing it, but you might need to buy some speciality drill bits.

Is the center all ready on the ceiling, or is that a goal as well? Surrounds on the ceiling as well? It looked like you were building some bookshelves, but they will be mounted from ceiling and not the wall correct?

Which way to the rafters run? I would imagine parallel with TV wall.

Kevin D.
                    Yes. I have my cable and Ethernet wires in wall between office and living room up to the attic for distribution. I can go into the attic and access them, but hit the wall immediately (for my bedroom).

The center ended up on a stand mounted on the wall. It is not currently wired through the wall, but when/depending on how I do the surrounds, I will tuck it in while doing the others/working in the attic.

I have a 3.1 setup of Mini-Statements and a PE 18" sub. The drawings were done back when I was trying to shoe-horn an IB setup in. The surrounds will be mounted "high" in the room. Whether that means connected to a rafter or the wall is TBD by wire routing.

The rafters run perpendicular to the TV. IE They go from the Garage/Sitting Room/Kitchen to the outside walls. That portion of the house was actually an addition and the french doors originally led to the back yard. So yes, my roof line is a little wacky.

I've come up with some wacky solutions so far...running connected conduit sections (since I'll need to traverse ~25 linear feet from wall to back of room) back and hoping that I can predict where it'll end up (keep it in the grooves of the rafters) and using a fish tape to grab the wires. I could redo the cornice and run the wires in the void. I'm leaning away from the base boards as we want to redo the floors in the room, but if we're going that far [would be new floors, fireplace, wall color, maybe some built ins elsewhere] I'd just make a few extra holes/cuts and let the pros fix them then. This might also be 5 years away and I don't want a 'temporary' solution for 5 years.

Comment

• JaxLax
                      • Jul 2007

Or just give up and run some white cable channel on the roof.
                      Yeah, probably that.
                      $50 and no real labor.
                      I'm going to half hate it, but oh well.

Comment

• Kevin D
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • Oct 2002

First some questions:

Name:	questions.png
Views:	1
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	862707

Is is still open trusses over the office? Is the attic floored over the office?
                        What's between the bedroom wall and down tv wall?

If the attic is floored, you probably can see. It's probably a laminated beam or some form of solid truss. Either way you should be able to get through it.

It might be easier to think of it as three fishes.It will probably be tough to get from attic to equipment location, but if you cut an access box behind center, you can fish from EQ to center, center to attic, attic to surrounds.

Usually in this situation, we drill down at the right angle in the attic to get into the wall. Since you have a center we can hide a hole behind, just drill up at an angle into attic. The closer the hole is to ceiling, the easier it is to get an angle you know will come out into the attic.

Name:	drill.png
Views:	1
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	862706

As far as attic to surrounds. You'll be hard pressed to run wire through conduit and grab it at the end. You can do it with screw together glow rods, but you'll need a good size hole on the speaker end in order to grab the wire. The accuracy of getting a wire where you want it over 25' is not that great.

Easiest thing is pull the carpet in the bedroom, drill straight up where you want surrounds (through decking of bedroom) then route wires to side walls before going through wall into attic. You can cut carpet padding to allow for wires, or use flat wire. Alternatively, pull the carpet and then the decking in the middle of bedroom. Should be able to route them wherever you want in subfloor and then screw decking back down.

You can go through the base boards without removing them:

LSDI by GRI provides professional installation tools that can be used for a variety of purposes. Visit our website today for available tools.

You would need a blank plate at outlet height under each surround, since this just lets you get into the wall. Near impossible to fish from top of the wall to this hole on the bottom plate.

Kevin D.

Comment

• JaxLax
                          • Jul 2007

First some questions:

ANSWERS IN RED

Is is still open trusses over the office? Is the attic floored over the office? Open trusses. No, I walk/move on the rafters/trusses.
                          What's between the bedroom wall and down tv wall? Nothing. They are the same vertical wall. So there's a single opening where the open trusses are.

If the attic is floored, you probably can see. It's probably a laminated beam or some form of solid truss. Either way you should be able to get through it. I can see. 6-8" open trusses. Apparently it was needed for the large bath tub in my bath where they go from 18" spacing to 6" spacing for a period. It's just tough to get flat to see because it's not solid floored (as noted above).

It might be easier to think of it as three fishes.It will probably be tough to get from attic to equipment location, but if you cut an access box behind center, you can fish from EQ to center, center to attic, attic to surrounds. Attic to equipment is easy. I already have wires that make it, so I can attach and pull forwards/backwards a couple of times until I have them all run. I would need only the one hole behind the center to be drillied within the room.

Usually in this situation, we drill down at the right angle in the attic to get into the wall. Since you have a center we can hide a hole behind, just drill up at an angle into attic. The closer the hole is to ceiling, the easier it is to get an angle you know will come out into the attic. No? I want the hole hidden behind the speaker. And moulding would be in the way of an angled drill.

As far as attic to surrounds. You'll be hard pressed to run wire through conduit and grab it at the end. You can do it with screw together glow rods, but you'll need a good size hole on the speaker end in order to grab the wire. The accuracy of getting a wire where you want it over 25' is not that great. Ugh.

Easiest thing is pull the carpet in the bedroom, drill straight up where you want surrounds (through decking of bedroom) then route wires to side walls before going through wall into attic. You can cut carpet padding to allow for wires, or use flat wire. Alternatively, pull the carpet and then the decking in the middle of bedroom. Should be able to route them wherever you want in subfloor and then screw decking back down. Well, No. If I drill straight up from the living room, I will not be in the bedroom any more, but rather a tile floor bathroom. And possibly under the bathtub (literally).

You can go through the base boards without removing them: Is there a way to borrow/rent this? I'm not looking to invest in a single use tool.

You would need a blank plate at outlet height under each surround, since this just lets you get into the wall. Near impossible to fish from top of the wall to this hole on the bottom plate.

Kevin D.
                          Answers in red

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"