X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Helmuts
    • Feb 2017

Tweeter with lowest possible distortion

I am building a very special special speaker system and thus my needs are different from what has been posted here before. Please read system background info before you reply.

Advice needed: Please suggest what would be a tweeter of choice if my main consideration is distortion level and price. The tweeter is going to be crossed at 3khz so no need for low Fs. In terms of price I would expect to stay below 200$ range for a pair of tweeters. I do not care about frequency response unless it is crazy bad off-axis performance.

System background: I am building a fully active 4 way and fully DSPed system. This means separate amplifier for each driver and no passive crossovers. The system is driven by a dedicated computer doing active crossovers and DSP. In particular I have unlimited processing power for frequency and phase response manipulations on an individual driver level.
  • cochinada
    • May 2014

Very interesting project. :T
    I can't tell you anyone in particular but the new Satori line from SB Accoustics and Transducer Labs have very low distortion although they are a bit over that budget I'm afraid.
    Take a look at this if you didn't already:

they seems the same tw but neo motor.... what are your impression, which is better ? excuseme for bad question:W

Joaquim

DIY 4 way speakers.
    DIY subwoofers.
    Zaph ZD3C.

Comment

• JonMarsh
      Mad Max Moderator
      • Aug 2000

Considering measured distortion from 3kHz and up, and you're serious about distortion, it's hard to beat the Transducer labs models, even their standard ceramic tweeter:

Click image for larger version

Name:	N26Disto_Old_zpsdd67ed8a.png
Views:	58
Size:	120.6 KB
ID:	940012

But you're looking at about $150 each.

For under $100, the D2608/9130 might be a good bet.

Click image for larger version

Name:	9130HD_zpse77097e4.png
Views:	59
Size:	267.2 KB
ID:	940013
      Last edited by theSven; 10 June 2023, 21:20 Saturday. Reason: Update image location
      the AudioWorx
      Natalie P
      M8ta
      Modula Neo DCC
      Modula MT XE
      Modula Xtreme
      Isiris
      Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
      Minerva Monitor
      Calliope
      Ardent D

In Development...
      Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
      Obi-Wan
      Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
      Modula PWB
      Calliope CC Supreme
      Natalie P Ultra
      Natalie P Supreme
      Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
      Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• AJINFLA
        • Mar 2005

Audible or visible distortion??
        Originally posted by Helmuts
        I am building a very special special speaker system and thus my needs are different from what has been posted here before. Please read system background info before you reply.
        Myself and quite a few others here have been building such DSP based systems for many years.

What sort of spectra do you want directed at all surfaces of room, assuming these are indoor speakers?

You may want to read this post for a slightly different perspective. Or not.

cheers,

AJ
        Manufacturer

Comment

• Helmuts
          • Feb 2017

Jon thanks so much for suggestion. I have now done tons of research and am stuck between SS 9130 and Dayton RS28A. To be honest I already have Focal TNV2 and BG NEO3 PDR as test piggies for this build. I want to add 3rd driver for the match-up and then I will chose the best I like. Contrary to my expectation I have found out that some tweeters I like subjectively even though I can not show it in data. How would you compare SS 9130 to Dayton RS28A?

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"