X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • augerpro
    Super Senior Member
    • Aug 2006

The Perfect Port?

So I'm reading the Harman paper on ports, here is a link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/u18zq95ko9...Study.pdf?dl=0. They test various theories regarding flare radius, power compression, harmonic distortion, surface roughness, etc. They come up with a Normalized Flare Radius relating the flare radius to the port length: NFR = port length/ 2(flare radius), 0 < NFR < 1 where 0 is a straight pipe and 1 is a full flare. After a number of tests of the previously mentioned properties, they find a NFR = .5 seems to be the best balance of properties. This greatly simplifies the equation to basically saying flare radius = port length. Essentially there is never a straight a section, the profile is always an arc with a radius equal to the port length and some minimum diameter in the middle that the designer would select based on max air velocity (or Reynolds number if you can figure it out). You can visualize as the port length grows so does the port exit size. For any given length and minimum diameter I came up with this equation which defines the diameter of the port exit: Ed = .268L + Md, where Ed is port exit diameter, L is port length, and Md is minimum diameter. For example if my port were 8" long and I needed a 3" minimum diameter to keep air speed low, then the port exit diameter would be 5.144". This is on both ends BTW. Two other provisos in the article: 12mm radius to blend the flare to baffle, and a 15mm flange on the inside flare to sort of mimic a little flat baffle. Apparently this reduced odd order harmonic distortion in their tests.

Threw this together in Fusion 360 to give you an idea:

Click image for larger version

Name:	port1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	26.8 KB
ID:	872132Click image for larger version

Name:	port2.PNG
Views:	1
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	872133
    ~Brandon 8O
    Please donate to my Waveguides for CNC and 3D Printing Project!!
    Please donate to my Monster Box Construction Methods Project!!
    DriverVault
    Soma Sonus
  • ergo
    • Mar 2005

Interesting.

For getting closer to 'perfect' see also KEF-s take here

They made the middle of the port 'flexible' claiming a further improvement.

Comment

• wkhanna
      Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2006

having a constant, relatively large radius along the entire axis of the port seems intuitively to make sense to me.

the idea to use a flexible (energy absorbing) wall to mitigate naturally occurring resonance is quite interesting, too.

neat stuff, guys!
      _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
      ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• augerpro
        Super Senior Member
        • Aug 2006

Thanks Ergo for the paper!

This Harman paper has me a bit confused. Instead of doing what most of us would do and take a straight pipe and add ever larger radius flares to the end, they make the entire pipe a flare. Going from NFR = 1 which is a half circle, all the way down to NFR = 0 which basically means the radius has reached infinity, in other words a straight pipe. Other than the actual straight pipe they use, the only thing that they test that might get close to a straight pipe w/ flared ends is the elliptical profile, which fares pretty well (go figure). I'm not sure if the provide the equation for that, so not sure how close it would be.

My other concern is in their attempt to compare apples to apples, they keep port length the same, but change the diameter to keep the Fs the same also. Given how important diameter is, I'm not sure the differences can be attributed to the flare. However the more highly flared ports are the ones with the smallest diameter, and they are the better performers vs a straight pipe (which had the largest diameter) so I guess the flares did their job despite being handicapped. Now they also ultimately "choke" a bit harder than the straight pipe, I wonder if keeping the diameter the same (and Fs the same so letting length float) would have resulted in a similar choke point to the straight pipe? BTW even the straight pipe had a 12mm radius at the baffle.
        ~Brandon 8O
        DriverVault
        Soma Sonus

Comment

• TEK
          Super Senior Member
          • Oct 2002

Are you going to take this from the drawing board and test how such a design work?
          It would be very interesting to see if this type of port makes any measurable differences.

Producing such a port will be a interesting challenge for your reqular DIY'er ;-)
          Any ideas avout how it could be done? I do see that something like the trns-lam design nethod mith work
          -TEK

Many of the great achievements of the world were accomplished by tired and discouraged men who kept on working...

Comment

• augerpro
            Super Senior Member
            • Aug 2006

Originally posted by TEK
            It would be very interesting to see if this type of port makes any measurable differences.
            Well there are measured results in the paper I don't know yet if I'll test it out. I have a design with a builder right now (all my tools are in storage) and we discussed it but haven't made a decision. If we do it he has access to a 3D printer that we would print it on. You could also CNC each half and glue it together. Those aren't easy for a typical DIY'er, but it is becoming more common.
            ~Brandon 8O
            DriverVault
            Soma Sonus

Comment

• augerpro
              Super Senior Member
              • Aug 2006

Probably the main concern for the DIY'er is surface smoothness. You can see in the paper they test that and I was surprised that even a 1mm surface texture was measurably worse than smooth.
              ~Brandon 8O
              DriverVault
              Soma Sonus

Comment

• Steve Manning
                • Dec 2006

Originally posted by augerpro
                Probably the main concern for the DIY'er is surface smoothness. You can see in the paper they test that and I was surprised that even a 1mm surface texture was measurably worse than smooth.
                I wonder what B&W has figured out since they dimple the inside of their ports?
                Hold on to your butts - It's about to get Musical!

Comment

• TEK
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Oct 2002

According to commercial/product leflet from like 15-20 years ago (when I bought my 805 that I had a lot of years) the dimpels are there to reduce air turbolence - at least that whats I recall from those days....
                  3D print - of course, I did not think of that. Jup, more and more available!
                  -TEK

Many of the great achievements of the world were accomplished by tired and discouraged men who kept on working...

Comment

• augerpro
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Aug 2006

Originally posted by Steve Manning
                    I wonder what B&W has figured out since they dimple the inside of their ports?
                    Dunno. Like many things maybe nothing but a hypothesis. In the Harman paper they were a bit surprised too, but figured that things like golf balls have dimples that work well in purely turbulent air flow. But you never get to purely turbulent air flow in a port. Looking at their chart you'll see the port has completely choked before then, in the transition zone which is a mix of laminar and turbulent flow. I think on the Reynolds chart turbulent is over 100k, while ports are having real problems by around 50k.
                    ~Brandon 8O
                    DriverVault
                    Soma Sonus

Comment

• TEK
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Oct 2002

"Bowers & Wilkins’s Flowport™ minimises turbulence in the same way as a golf ball. Dimples on the surface generate tiny eddy currents over which air can flow smoothly and, above all, silently."
                      Visit Bowers & Wilkins to experience and shop for our award-winning wireless speakers, wired & wireless headphones, earphones, hi-fi speakers and home theatre speakers

Wondering about other parts of B&W tech? Go here:
                      Visit Bowers & Wilkins to experience and shop for our award-winning wireless speakers, wired & wireless headphones, earphones, hi-fi speakers and home theatre speakers
                      -TEK

Comment

• augerpro
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Aug 2006

Thanks TEK! So it is interesting B&W only use the dimples at the flare, which is exactly where we get the formation of eddies, so pretty turbulent. But is turbulent enough to matter, given the results in the Harman paper? Still they didn't put it inside so maybe they got some benefit without the penalty shown in the Harman paper which applied the beads to the entire port?

OTOH there are no measurements provided, and his claim of 6dB seems hard to believe when they already have a very large flare, something similar in the Harman paper would be good enough that the flare was no longer the SPL limit, but the port tube (mostly diameter) itself.
                        ~Brandon 8O
                        DriverVault
                        Soma Sonus

Comment

• wkhanna
                          Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
                          • Jan 2006

these ports are perfect for our printer at work.
                          i can get a V good surface finish on a radius like they have.
                          _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
                          ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Steve Manning
                            • Dec 2006

Thanks TEK! So it is interesting B&W only use the dimples at the flare, which is exactly where we get the formation of eddies, so pretty turbulent. But is turbulent enough to matter, given the results in the Harman paper? Still they didn't put it inside so maybe they got some benefit without the penalty shown in the Harman paper which applied the beads to the entire port?

OTOH there are no measurements provided, and his claim of 6dB seems hard to believe when they already have a very large flare, something similar in the Harman paper would be good enough that the flare was no longer the SPL limit, but the port tube (mostly diameter) itself.
                            As I recall, either from a video or paper, B&W looked at golf balls to come up with the dimple concept. Found this on their website. http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/Discov.../Flowport.html
                            Hold on to your butts - It's about to get Musical!

Comment

• ---k---
                              Ultra Senior Member
                              • Nov 2005

On the subject of ports. Does anyone remember Polk having what they called a Power Port. It was an inverted cone inside the port exit. I remember seeing this about 10 - 15 years ago. I'm not sure the thinking behind it.
                              - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
                              CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
                              CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• augerpro
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Aug 2006

I remember that. Don't recall exactly how it looked but in that Harman paper there is something very close cited. I don't think it was a very new idea. Had to do with directing and smoothing air flow instead of abrupt transition from port environment to free space. Something like that anyway.
                                ~Brandon 8O
                                DriverVault
                                Soma Sonus

Comment

• NyxOne
                                  • Jan 2008

Power port with drawing from an older thread (post #6)

Chuck

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                    Mad Max Moderator
                                    • Aug 2000

That's not something i would have expected... Interesting.
                                    the AudioWorx
                                    Natalie P
                                    M8ta
                                    Modula Neo DCC
                                    Modula MT XE
                                    Modula Xtreme
                                    Isiris
                                    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                    Minerva Monitor
                                    Calliope
                                    Ardent D

In Development...
                                    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                                    Obi-Wan
                                    Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                                    Modula PWB
                                    Calliope CC Supreme
                                    Natalie P Ultra
                                    Natalie P Supreme
                                    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                                    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• augerpro
                                      Super Senior Member
                                      • Aug 2006

That Polk power port is actually the one cited in the Harman paper. Thought it looked familiar.
                                      ~Brandon 8O
                                      DriverVault
                                      Soma Sonus

Comment

• JonP
                                        • Apr 2006

Thanks Ergo for the paper!

This Harman paper has me a bit confused. Instead of doing what most of us would do and take a straight pipe and add ever larger radius flares to the end, they make the entire pipe a flare. Going from NFR = 1 which is a half circle, all the way down to NFR = 0 which basically means the radius has reached infinity, in other words a straight pipe. Other than the actual straight pipe they use, the only thing that they test that might get close to a straight pipe w/ flared ends is the elliptical profile, which fares pretty well (go figure). I'm not sure if the provide the equation for that, so not sure how close it would be.

My other concern is in their attempt to compare apples to apples, they keep port length the same, but change the diameter to keep the Fs the same also. Given how important diameter is, I'm not sure the differences can be attributed to the flare. However the more highly flared ports are the ones with the smallest diameter, and they are the better performers vs a straight pipe (which had the largest diameter) so I guess the flares did their job despite being handicapped. Now they also ultimately "choke" a bit harder than the straight pipe, I wonder if keeping the diameter the same (and Fs the same so letting length float) would have resulted in a similar choke point to the straight pipe? BTW even the straight pipe had a 12mm radius at the baffle.
                                        Very interesting paper, with interesting implications. Like, the large differences in THD, with even moderate changes, for instance.

Here's some work done a while ago, not quite the Harmon tour de force (Force?) as the paper, but some good work done on straight pipes with different end flare radi and the effects on limits... in the general direction of your questions. He even boils down his findings into a calculator..

Details of tests carried out on flared ports to determine usable velocity

Wow... been 10-12yrs already... 8O

Comment

• mdjamesd
                                          • May 2016

Not to awaken a dead thread, but I stumbled across this one. When I was building my sub last summer, I finally hunted down the power port spreadsheet. It works fantastically for enabling the use of a shorter port to reach desired tuning. If anyone wants it, drop me a pm.

Comment

• augerpro
                                            Super Senior Member
                                            • Aug 2006

Can you upload it here, or link to it? Was this a third-party-built software from Polk's patent, or?
                                            ~Brandon 8O
                                            DriverVault
                                            Soma Sonus

Comment

• Zvu
                                              • Oct 2013

One more thing, suited for this thread.

Is there a way to predict how severe port resonances will be ?

There are a number of simulators that tell us where the port resonance will occur but, as can be seen from measurements from stereophile, there are a lots of ports that influence, otherwise perfect frequency response, in a rather bad fashion. Lots of loudspeakers have been made and engineered by a knowledgeable bunch of guys yet, severe port resonances are present and are easily heard. Clearly, back firing ports that have resonances higher in frequency will impact the sound less but some of this loudspeakers have front-firing ports and with very low frequency resonances (carrying a lot of energy). Here are some measurements from stereophile:

Morel Octave 6

Joseph Audio Pulsar

Sjofn HiFi

Canalis Anima

Opera Callas

Dynaudio Excite X14

Usher BE718

Aerial Acoustics 5T

Snell Illusion A7

There are a number of speakers that perform well in this regard and the price isn't part of the equation. Examples are given:

Pioneer SP-BS22-LR

Elac Debut B6

Harbeth Super HL5

Technics Premium Class SB-C700

Revel Performa3 M106

DALI Zensor 1

I'm posting this because i'm truly and utterly ashamed of how bad my port measurements are on my last 2-way bookshelf. I just couldn't believe they were true until a friend measured it with his measuring equipment and it measured the same. Since i did front firing slot-port, it's now integral part of the cabinet and bracing, and i don't want to invest a dime in a new cabinet until i fully understand what is happening here and how to mitigate or prevent it. Port resonances on my 2-way are at about 300Hz and 600Hz.
                                              Last edited by Zvu; 31 March 2017, 13:38 Friday.
                                              Tesla; George Carlin;

Comment

• Alaric
                                                Ultra Senior Member
                                                • Jan 2006

Originally posted by JonMarsh
                                                That's not something i would have expected... Interesting.
                                                After playing with, and actually improving a few, intake ports on engines, that doesn't surprise me at all. The turbulence creates a bearing surface for the moving air, reducing friction.
                                                Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                                                Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                                                Schiit Modi 3
                                                Marantz CD5005
                                                Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• augerpro
                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                  • Aug 2006

Zvu> my measurements are pretty poor there too. I wonder what made the better examples better? Although I would note all are tuned fairly high except the Harbeth. Perhaps their higher resonances were just easier to absorb with stuffing/lining? Is their a difference between the resonances generated by a straight port versus a fully curved port as is the example in this thread? Definitely something worth investigating.
                                                  ~Brandon 8O
                                                  DriverVault
                                                  Soma Sonus

Comment

• mdjamesd
                                                    • May 2016

Can you upload it here, or link to it? Was this a third-party-built software from Polk's patent, or?
                                                    There was a spreadsheet made available many moons ago when Matthew Polk was interviewed regarding the power port. Polk removed it from their webpages, but the internet never forgets.

I am out of town at the moment, but when I get back, I will fire up my old laptop and upload it here

Comment

• fatmarley
                                                      • May 2011

IIRC there was a commercial speaker that had some kind of material lining the inside of the port. Not sure what that was supposed to do though.

Comment

• Zvu
                                                        • Oct 2013

Zvu> my measurements are pretty poor there too. I wonder what made the better examples better? Although I would note all are tuned fairly high except the Harbeth. Perhaps their higher resonances were just easier to absorb with stuffing/lining? Is their a difference between the resonances generated by a straight port versus a fully curved port as is the example in this thread? Definitely something worth investigating.
                                                        There are few in the "bad" department that have high tuning that still suffer from strong port resonances so no correlation there that i've noticed. Curved vs straight would be interesting comparison.

Originally posted by fatmarley
                                                        IIRC there was a commercial speaker that had some kind of material lining the inside of the port. Not sure what that was supposed to do though.
                                                        Joseph Audio Perspective has it optional. But i think that's more in the service of loudspeaker tuning rather than anti-resonance role, but i might be wrong.

Anyway, some kind of software that can simulate performance of different kinds of ports would be great.
                                                        Tesla; George Carlin;

Comment

• Alaric
                                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                                          • Jan 2006

Calculating Port Velocity

If you know the cross-sectional area of a given port you can calculate the port velocity based on the bore diameter and the piston speed at any given RPM using the following formula.

Port Velocityfps = (Ps ÷ 60) x (B2 ÷ Ap)

Where:

Ps = piston speed in feet per minute

B = bore diameter in inches

Ap = area of port in square inches

The first part of the formula converts the piston speed to feet per second while the second half relates the bore area to the port cross section. Consider the following example: A 3-inch-stroke 302-ci engine running at 4,400 rpm (torque peak) achieves a piston speed of 2,200 feet per minute at that point. The bore is 4.00 inches and the port cross section is 2.44 square inches

It should be relatively easy to adapt the math. Piston=driver cone, etc. I don't know at what speed the air flow becomes audible ("chuffing") but the math is out there for port flow. I mentioned "cross pollination" of technology and information in a recent rant in Homebrew, and this is a perfect example.

Pvel = (2,200 ÷ 60) x (4.002 ÷ 2.44) = 240.4 feet per second
                                                          Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                                                          Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                                                          Schiit Modi 3
                                                          Marantz CD5005
                                                          Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• Zvu
                                                            • Oct 2013

Hi Alaric.

Calculation of air velocity through port is something that most of the calculators do, calculating resonant frequency of the port also... The thing no calculator known to me does is how bad that resonance is going to be.

EDIT:

I'm playing with Seas L15RLY-P right now. Unibox says there's 830Hz resonance, and even estimates how bad is it. We'll see if it's any good in test cabinets for my new project.

Unibox prediction of port resonances pretty much matches frequencies i measure them at in my current 2-way:

Tesla; George Carlin;

Comment

• Alaric
                                                              Ultra Senior Member
                                                              • Jan 2006

The final part of the calculation would be the audio specific bits (resonance, audible flow noise, etc.). The crossover engine math hits a wall when you realize the object is to increase port velocity. So you have to work backwards from that.
                                                              Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                                                              Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                                                              Schiit Modi 3
                                                              Marantz CD5005
                                                              Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• keith_correa
                                                                • Sep 2009

Is this Power Port spreadsheet what you're looking for?

powerport.zip

Comment

Working...
                                                                Searching...Please wait.
                                                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                Search Result for "|||"