X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gabriel1974
    • Dec 2016

looking for suggestions for new speakers to build

Hi ... I am looking to build some new speakers but cant decide on what is right for me, sooo I will list some details in the hope that I will get some suggestions.
    Will be used for music (all types) and HT
    Will be used with a Sub (90's soundstream rubicon 12" 3cf ported) willing to change if needed
    Receiver is a Pioneer vsx 1131 (min 6 ohms - prefer 8 ohm with high efficiency)
    room is 4.2m wide and opens up to an open plan living area
    Speakers will be placed 4.2m apart
    Speakers must be as close to walls as possible (2 - 5")
    Also want a matching (or close to) center and smaller surrounds
    seating position is about 5m back from main speakers
    Off axis performance is important as not everyone gets to sit in the "sweet spot"
    I prefer the look of multiple drivers like khanspires, statements
    I want good looking drivers as there will be no grills and I intend on building some curved sides

I have been reading heaps but keep coming up against 4 ohm designs and speakers that need at least 12" from the wall

Thank you
  • BobEllis
    Super Senior Member
    • Dec 2005

I believe there are a few threads about boxed In-Khan-Neatos. They are designed for in wall installation but a wide enclosure very close to the wall should work almost as well if you cant build them into the wall. A trapezoidal enclosure with the wide side against the wall would be closer to the target installation.

Multiple drivers and 8 ohm impedance are usually competing priorities. There are some designs that use 4 ohm woofers in series to keep the impedance up, but most use 8 ohm drivers in parallel to get added sensitivity. The good news is even though most receivers say use speaker with 6 ohm minimum impedance they will handle normal use with 4 ohm (nominal) loads. Just be sure that you allow plenty of ventilation - like on an open shelf rather than buried in a rack. It also helps to keep the volume setting reasonable. Hopefully someone with the same receiver will respond and let you know if it handles low impedance loads.

If the receiver has preamp outputs you can always add an external amp or three. The stated 6 ohm limit seems to mean that the power supply is not up to driving all channels at full power without overheating. Remove the L/R to an external amp and you've lightened the load considerably.

I don't know your sub, but there's no such thing as too much subwoofer for home theater. Multiple subs help to even out the room response. See the Harmon multiple subwoofer white paper. If your budget and SAF requirements allow add at least one more 15" or larger sub.

Hope this helps and post a build thread. There are lots of folks here willing to help.

Comment

• oneplustwo
      • Jan 2010

Would you consider something a bit different? I've built several diy speakers and am about to try a pair inspired by the Murphy line arrays. They are effectively built into the corners of the room which seems like it might work for you based on your description. You also get to play with FIR and/or IIR DSP or equalization instead of passive crossovers. I started a thread about my plan but there are many others that have already gone down this path. Mostly on diyaudio.com. Here are some links.

Short story: Corner line arrays can save space, can eliminate ceiling and front wall reflections, and can be fairly efficient. Using 24 Vifa TC9s, a 3.5" full range driver, a corner floor to ceiling line array was created. The array measures and sounds pretty awesome and achieves the design...

After riding along on a few different line array threads I figured this project deserved it's own thread. I wanted to get new speakers for my living room for a while but could not quite find something I liked. The speakers I have right now are just too big to use in a proper setup. In a domestic...

My thread:
      This is a new thread specifically regarding my version of the Murphy Corner loaded line array using Vifa TC9 and stealing ideas from both RA7 and wesayso's line array threads. Mine will be somewhat unique in that I can build them into the walls themselves so I can get the drivers as close to...

I'm mostly excited to try it because of the learning opportunity. But I also have high hopes for the sonic results as well as the fact that WAF is high given the small footprint.
      Zaph SR-71
      Zaph ZDT 3.5
      Sunflower Redux
      12" Dayton HF sub
      CJD RS 150 MT
      Revelator bookshelf
      2x12 Guitar cab
      Corner loaded line array

Comment

• Gabriel1974
        • Dec 2016

Thanks for your reply

The receiver has no pre-outs and I would prefer a speaker at 6 ohms so I can confidently push the system without over heating

Comment

• Gabriel1974
          • Dec 2016

I have been reading about "The Uluwatu"

+ It is 6 ohms
          + High sensitivity
          + Multiple driver
          + Can go close to wall

They look OK (I dont love them but sure they will grow on me)

- TL so cant do a curved walls (not unless i build the curves over the exterior - don't really want to)
          - Not sure what to do for a matching center and surrounds

how do they compare to Khanspire and statements (I refer to these as they seem to be the standard from what i have been reading)

Another speaker I have been reading on is "Anthologys"

+ It is 6 ohms
          + Reasonable sensitivity
          + Multiple driver
          + I like the look of them (I could really show them off in some nice cabinets)

? Not sure if they can go close to wall
          ? Not sure what to do for a matching center and surrounds

Opinions please

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"