OT - Can a 7.1 system use different wattage amps?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sahren7
    • Sep 2012

OT - Can a 7.1 system use different wattage amps?

Newb questions, yes, but I simply do not know. I recently moved to separates. I have acquired a used processor (AV7005) and funds dictate that the amps will be acquired over time on the used market. As such I might end up with different brands having different wattage. I was thinking of getting a 2 channel amp to run audio, which would also be used as the FL and FR in HT. What would happen if I had a 200 watt amp running the FL and FR then a 100 watt amp running the center and surrounds? Does this negatively impact the sound? the volume? the tonal quality?

I am not planning on the above, but wanted to know just in case. What happens if I acquire a decent 100w 5 channel amp, then next year by some miracle funds allow me to purchase a Parasound A21. Is this like mixing oil and water or simply subtle nuance.

Thanks.
  • BobEllis
    Super Senior Member
    • Dec 2005

Doubling the power means only a 3dB difference in maximum output. If the gain of the amplifiers is different you'll have to trim the levels, just as you do in setup. I'd leave the L/R trim at 0 and adjust the others.

I do what you describe with a good quality DIY amp on L/R and an old HT receiver on surround duty. My focus is 2 channel music. I don't have a center that is timbre matched close enough to blend well with the L/R, so I go phantom center. For me having surrounds with a timbre match is not important. YMMV.

Depending on your HT requirements/priorities you may want to consider using similar amps across the front. If the amp on your center sounds sounds drastically different than your main amp it may not blend well, but that's largely a function of how good your speakers are. I had to go pretty far before my speakers revealed a difference in amplifiers. You may not hear a difference once the channels are level matched.

Everyone is different and what is ok with me may be unbearable to you. I'm happy with 4.1 for now, although I know many hard core HT enthusiasts would say everything must match up front and you must use three front channels. Not everyone can afford to jump in at full boogie.

Your proposed upgrade path seems reasonable to me. The important thing is that your system make YOU happy. You may recognize shortcomings, but you can address them as budget allows. Have fun along the way. I've been at this over 40 years and have enjoyed my systems along the way. Not that I'm done improving.

Comment

• Sahren7
      • Sep 2012

Bob, thank you for the response. I do appreciate it. I now can say I have a similar set-up as yours. Kidding of course - your mains are a cut above.

I do want to save and get the best 2 channel amp I can. Music is the primary use, but HT is a close second. Knowing i have latitude with the 2 channel down the road helps. As Mick says "you can't always get what you want......."

I have been running Modules the past few years - thinking of going with the Finalists for the new set up. Very excited about putting this together.

Thanks again.

Greg

Comment

• BobEllis
        Super Senior Member
        • Dec 2005

You're welcome.

Modulas or Finalists should be able to resolve the differences between amplifiers. Worth listening to a couple if you have a friend or two that will let you borrow an amp. That will give you an idea if any difference across the front will be an issue.

Comment

• wkhanna
          Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2006

imho, precise matching of amps & speakers is necessary for accurate multi-channel music (i.e. sacd)

for surround movies in a 7.1 configuration.....at the least, center & front mains should be matched for good performance.

i am a 2 ch music guy with a 4.2 system.......for what i require, it works just fine for the occasional movies.
          _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
          ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"