X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DocNice
    • Aug 2016

Amp setup for Statements

As I wait for more parts to finish my Statements II, I'm starting to think ahead of amplification needs. I think my Yamaha HTR-6240 is likely to fall a bit short and want some advice. Everywhere I read that AV receivers are inferior. The separate amp/pre-amp seems to be the highest quality, but DAMN is that stuff expensive. And it keeps getting outdated by new video requirements.

I think I can talk the wife into $1,000, maybe double that if my bonus is on the high side this year. Any suggestions? My current thinking is to pair one of the Emotiva amps with a receiver that has preamp outs. But I still run into questions of whether I'll get good sound quality with my digital streaming that way...

I only need my setup to do two things:
    1. Get my music from my computer/phone to my speakers. I'm currently using Apple Music after trying Spotify, Rhapsody and Tidal first. I have an iMac, Apple TV 4, two iPads and an iPhone, though a Samsung Android phone is not out of the question after they took out the headphone jack. Point is, I can use those things to try to play the music. I also have a Sonos Connect.
    2. Watch home theater via an HDMI connection.

I don't care about CD's or turntables or any other stuff. What's the cheapest way to get my music off my computer phone and my movies/TV to my stereo and have it sound good?
  • Alaric
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Jan 2006

There is some good Schiit here http://schiit.com/products for a decent DAC. A lot will depend on the format of your music. Is it lossless (FLAC, etc.?) Uncompressed music takes up considerably more space and isn't usually found on phones. Certainly not impossible, just not as common as mp3 storage. There is nothing wrong with Emotiva amps. They give great bang per buck and sound very good.
    Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
    Marantz PM-KI Pearl
    Schiit Modi 3
    Marantz CD5005
    Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• wkhanna
      Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2006

i like what Lee suggests...
      afa amps, my recommendation is Odyssey... Khartago link
      _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
      ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• BobEllis
        Super Senior Member
        • Dec 2005

I second the Schiit recommendation with the caveat that it won't do HDMI. The Modi 2 Uber and above will take coax spdif or toslink. I have a Modi Multibit and the sound is significantly better than an M-Audio FW410 interface even on low level speakers and a Dayton T-amp. I haven't bothered comparing with my Ardents.

If you need both phone and HDMI connections on the cheap, your best bet is probably an inexpensive receiver with preamp outputs.

Comment

• fbov
          • Jun 2008

Originally posted by DocNice
          ... amplification needs. I think my Yamaha HTR-6240 is likely to fall a bit short and want some advice. Everywhere I read that AV receivers are inferior. The separate amp/pre-amp seems to be the highest quality,...
          There are two answer to this question, depending how you come at it.

The audiophile approach will look for the best quality at every step, and thus will tend to a chain of specific capability units.

I spent my career as an engineer, so I first ask: What's your Improvement Goal? How is the current system deficient in use, not in forum.

In amp power, there are three factors:
          - amp power available
          - speaker sensitivity
          - application requirements, room size and target SPL in that space

You determine that last one, so let's start there. One goal is THX spec conformance. This is well documented, roughly requiring 75dB at the listening position, with 30dB headroom, for a 105dB peak output capability. The key bit is "listening position" due to the -6dB inverse square law effect. In a large room, it invariably needs sensitive speakers and larger amps than found in AVRs.

Another is "THX on paper" where you ignore listening distances, assume a 3dB power cushion (peak power is twice RMS rating), and rely on the dynamic nature of most audio programs to keep the amp from running into actual clipping conditions, or thermal shutdown. This is a very reasonable, cost-effective approach in most residential-size spaces. Any high-end AVR can do it with reasonably-sensitive speakers, especially if, as I, you find 75dB fairly loud.

A third option addresses folks who don't listen very loud. Not everyone needs to know from THX, and that takes about 1/10 the power. This usage won't make any modern AVR sweat, and if done with separates, may include tube amps.

I would call my system "THX on paper." Onkyo 707 AVR has similar power to yours, but over 7 channels. Five of them are pushing MTMs with power ratings similar to the amp, and power sensitivity well north of 85dB@1W, 1m. 100W is +20dB, so that gets me close to a 105dB peak output capability. Conveniently enough, the 7 channels is also two doublings of both power (+3dB) and radiating area (+3dB) compared with a single speaker, so this isn't a bad approach, if your room isn't too large.

If your AVR meets your current needs from a features standpoint, you may look at adding a subwoofer, if you aren't using one, or upgrading the subwoofer or your speakers. Nothing has a bigger bang-for-the-buck, and there are 95dB speakers out there if your room is large or you want a lot of headroom.

The one feature I shopped for, that your AVR is missing, is pre-outs (says you only have rear surrounds). That feature enables an easy amplifier upgrade, to a separate amp. I've also got an Emotiva XPA-5 sitting under the kitchen table waiting for me to install it. It's not a big bang for the buck when you consider things like dedicated power lines and remote triggers (my Onk's shortfall).

So, where are you trying to get to?

HAve fun,
          Frank

Comment

• kevinm
            • Jun 2013

I can only help from personal expreience, but I have a set of Statements II that I used to run on Emotiva XPA-1 monoblocks. I also tried an XPA-2 for a while (parents have one). I am currently powering off a Marantz SR6010 while I change my setup. I can tell you that the higher power Emo amps made a pretty drastic difference. The Marantz is a great receiver, but it's easy to stress with the Statements if you like to watch movies with any volume. The XPA-1s were amazing, but they only carried a slight edge over the XPA-2 in my opinion. I would run with an XPA-2 for something like the Statements.

I recommend heading over to the Emo forum and picking one up for a fellow member in the for sale section. I've bought 4 Emo amps that way and it's always been smooth (and much more cost-effective).

Comment

• Jim Holtz
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Mar 2005

Originally posted by kevinm
              I can only help from personal expreience, but I have a set of Statements II that I used to run on Emotiva XPA-1 monoblocks. I also tried an XPA-2 for a while (parents have one). I am currently powering off a Marantz SR6010 while I change my setup. I can tell you that the higher power Emo amps made a pretty drastic difference. The Marantz is a great receiver, but it's easy to stress with the Statements if you like to watch movies with any volume. The XPA-1s were amazing, but they only carried a slight edge over the XPA-2 in my opinion. I would run with an XPA-2 for something like the Statements.

I recommend heading over to the Emo forum and picking one up for a fellow member in the for sale section. I've bought 4 Emo amps that way and it's always been smooth (and much more cost-effective).
              +1 on Kevin's recommendation. I used an Emotiva LPA-1 for some time and then upgraded to an XPA-5 and can also recommend it for powering the Statements. Lots of power!

I spoke with Lonnie, the engineer who designed these amps before I bought my 1st one and the way he explained the topology was, the power from the 1.1K transformer is pooled for all 5 channels and is what it's rated at for all 5 channels driven. However, if you are only using it in 2 channel mode, the full power of the transformer is available to the 2 channels which significantly increases its power out put ability. I'm not an engineer but that's the way he explained it to me.

I'm not quite as sold on their new modular configuration as I was the XPA series but time will tell if the new is as good as the old.

Highly recommended!

Jim

Comment

• jwanck11
                • Jan 2016

I have a Gen3 XPA-5 and it powers the Statements no differently than my Outlaw 7700. I am not sure whether the modular / switching Gen3 amps will have the longevity, but the power is definitely there to pair with a reasonable pre-amp.

I absolutely suggest separates though... you can always replace the pre-amp as features change over time.

The emo forum is great as is avsforum for picking up inexpensive used components.

Comment

• flamethrower1
                  • May 2008

I was running my Mini Statements in my main system from an XPA-2 and now the Anthologys have taken their place.
                  The Minis are now being driven with an XPA-200 and that amp is still very capable of driving these speakers, just my 2 cents worth.
                  I agree with the above poster on separates and like he said check the Emo Emporium.

Comment

• DocNice
                    • Aug 2016

Thanks guys. I think I will try to go with a receiver with preamp outputs and then at least drive my statements with a separate amp.

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"