X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jpphun
    • Dec 2015

next project

hi all, i love the in-khan-neatos with my in all install. they are great. i just finished my first box build of the over night sensation and those are quite good as well.

So my project (not a fast one)
    front LandR and Rear L and R i want to use the in-khan-neatos, if the current amp is not correct then i will adjust that as needed.

my question is what is the correct center to go with the in-khan-neatos, and which sub is a good one with the in-khan-neatos, i am fine with diy.

with the sub i am more partial to closed subs.

I have a pioneer receiver but am open to suggestions, goal is to set up speakers first, then update hardware.
  • ---k---
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Nov 2005

For center, the correct speaker would be a third In-Khan.
    If for placement reasons, that is not possible, the Khancenter should be pretty darn close. It was designed to be over/under a TV with no baffle step. Tweaking probably is only needed for driver tolerances over the years, differences in construction, and personal tastes. When you read the thread, not the comments about the box size. I built my box bigger than probably needed. And with an in-wall, there are no restrictions on increasing the box size horizontally or vertically to make up for the depth.

For subs, since your building a center channel, I'm guessing this is for movies too. I really like big ported subs for movies. There is so much fun information way down in the 15hz - 30hz range that you need the extension a ported sub gives you. My personal opinion, with movies it more important to shake the room than to have ultra-low distortion. And a good ported sub can sound really good. When equalized to the same frequency (including extension), I think the room would cause more to affect the perception of ported vs. sealed sub than the actual sub.

A lot of people share your view. And cost no object, I'd have a bunch of sealed subs too. So, I'm not trying to talk you out of a sealed sub, but just point out to extend the range deep into the "fun" range, you'll need some fancy electronics, such as a Mini-DSP, more amp, and probably additional driver too.

I'm seeing a lot of people enjoying the Utilmax and RS subs. You can go wrong with those drivers. They can be either ported or sealed. Utilimax has bigger xmax and is a more robust driver that can take a little bit of showing off abuse. RS is more optimized for lower distortion and precision.

I always recommend the 15" + size. I got this from ThomasW way back when. Generally speaking, a 15" will have 2x the output potential of a 12". The difference in costs of the drivers is small. But, the effort of building the box is the same for a 12" or 15". The only question is can you live with the box size?

Down the road, a good 4 ohm stable amp will bring the best out of these speakers. Emotiva is frequently recommended. CJD owns a pair. There are many more expensive amps that could be a nice fit. But, the cost benefit is always debatable.
    - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
    CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
    CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• jpphun
      • Dec 2015

OK, great thanks for the feedback.
      Next question.
      I am fine going ported for the sub, is there a good diy to follow?
      For the center, I need to lay it on the side(not upright), is this where the chance yet would be best?
      Current amp is pioneer vsx-821.

Comment

• ---k---
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Nov 2005

Yeah. Go with the Khan Center. All should be good.

There are tons of sub builds at AVS. I think everyone here built theirs years ago and are living blissfully. There is a series of "Marty" subs which are slot ported cubs that work with different drivers. BUT, I would suggest going back in time to when everyone was building Sonotube subs. If you don't mind the appearance, they are going to be a lot lighter and perform equally as well (or maybe better). There is nothing to modeling a sub driver to get the volume and port size you need. Get Unibox and some basic math.
        - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
        CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
        CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• TEK
          Super Senior Member
          • Oct 2002

-TEK

Many of the great achievements of the world were accomplished by tired and discouraged men who kept on working...

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"