X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Evil Twin
    Super Senior Member
    • Nov 2004

The Force Returns...

At long last, after imprisonment in a dank cell in the cloud mines of Bespin, my Imperial lawyer has conclusively proven that I have had nothing to do with the creation and resurgence of this so called "New Order" rabble, and am allowed my freedom once more... with conditions.

Those conditions are my banishment to this backwater galactic cesspool whose politics make even those of the Republic at it's most decadent look benevolently enlightened. However, there is one positive point to my work release conditions- I am required to do public service by once again promoting and supporting both my earlier speaker designs for music lovers and constructors in this quadrant, and to embark on new projects of value.

This shall now begin...

Taking up the issue of one of the most popular designs, there have been a number of questions regarding upgrades... you do understand that nothing comes for free?

First agenda is some component and crossover upgrades for the Natalie loudspeaker system.

A point of long discussion and contention has been what tweeter... even the original configuration can be constructed with several options of varying performance, though truly one must concede they are largely different flavors of a similar level of capability. At the behest of numerous requests, today I am presenting some initial measurement data on what may well be the best candidate considering well rounded performance and price, the ScanSpeak D2904/7100.

The factory measured IB response is quite attractive- but what happens on a real world sized baffle?

As it turns out, matters look quite similar on axis, though with the inevitable impact from diffraction from the baffle edges, as seen at 2 kHz. In this test case, the 7100 was mounted symmetrically with regards to the long axis- this makes the case for the recommended asymmetric positioning of the NatalieP front panel.

What becomes very interesting is the behavior off axis- this will also vary by baffle size and driver position. but on the test cabinet, a sweep of curves form 0 degrees to 70 degrees is very credible, and better than expected.

The larger polar measurement window above captures a large part of the energy output of the tweeter and can be considered a truer representation of the driver performance subjectively. Perhaps we can increase your understanding of the driver's behavior by also showing a plot of the RMS average of the previously shown measurements:

Now, the changes in SPL on one measurement vector are averaged into the total power response of the driver, and not manifesting the dip at 2 kHz- as the energy was reflected elsewhere from the 00 degree axis.

Clearly there are possibilities here which earlier iterations of this design have not yet unlocked.
    Last edited by Evil Twin; 02 May 2016, 13:39 Monday.
    DFAL
    Dark Force Acoustic Labs

A wholly owned subsidiary of Palpatine Heavy Industries
  • Evil Twin
    Super Senior Member
    • Nov 2004

Impedance measurements of these samples are complete.

The impedance is nearly ideal in the range from 1800 Hz to 20 kHz, which speaks well to the ease of use in a typical crossover application, and specifically the NatalieP. However, the best behavior in controlling the transition band and stop band for a two way system will likely require an LCR conjugate network, due to the 4:1 impedance rise at resonance.

For a three way with higher crossover point, this may or may not be desirable...
    DFAL
    Dark Force Acoustic Labs

Comment

• wkhanna
      Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2006

we rejoice in the streets of all quadrants at news of the Master's conditional release & proper adjudication of these charges amounting to nothing more than slanderous, fabricated & unjust accusations!

with slim resources at our sector, we will now soon be able to pursue upgrades to some of our battle-worn federation attack vehicles that will keep them superior to what the Rebel scum have currently acquired via clandestine trades at the black market on Mandalore!

the timing of this event is most profound!
      _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
      ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• wkhanna
        • Jan 2006

Greetings to the Dark Lord from our humble, distant federation outpost in the East.

the Empire's funding has been approved & processed for completion of the "Duded Up" SS D2904-7100 Nat-P's project.
        its beginnings can be found HERE

with your assistance on specifications for brand & quantity of 'no holds barred' crossover components deserving of the Chancellor Darth Sidious, we are ready to submit procurement forms to the Empirical depository.

Originally posted by Renron
        Because Jon doesn't have enough to do in his (spare) time, I gave him a pair of lower cost NOS Russian PETP 10 Ohm K73-16 capacitors yesterday for testing. These have been reviewed favorably by many, many people. Metal case, hard epoxied end caps silver leads all the good stuff.
        We'll see what the Magic Scope says.
        Ron

Originally posted by Evil Twin
        Interesting.. most interesting. This appears to be the local system equivalent of NOS from the Empire- the similarities are striking.

So, I only think it appropriate that the Empire should strike back, and stock up at these prices... it's doubtful that rebel scum will fully appreciate them, and I have some upcoming small builds that will benefit from a selection of relatively high quality compact low cost parts...

Perhaps I will leave a few left for others to buy... perhaps not.
        does indication exist for these on the "Duded -Up" ScanSpeak Nat-P's?

Edit: note that Dan (PewterTA) & i both have the SS D2904-7100's in hand, mine for my completed 68 litre floor-standers & his for the curved 1cf PE cabinets that are waiting to built.
        Last edited by wkhanna; 09 January 2017, 09:03 Monday.
        _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• ---k---
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Nov 2005

It's nice to see this progressing. Putting a little fun into the forum.

Did the CatZ ever get completed?
          - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
          CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
          CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• wkhanna
            • Jan 2006

Originally posted by ---k---

not that i saw....but i could be wrong (hard to believe, but you never know )
            _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• JonMarsh
              Mad Max Moderator
              • Aug 2000

Originally posted by ---k---
              It's nice to see this progressing. Putting a little fun into the forum.

Nope. Priorities...all the stuff is sitting around, but now that they discontinued the Esoteric drivers, it kind of pushes the reset button.
              the AudioWorx
              Natalie P
              M8ta
              Modula Neo DCC
              Modula MT XE
              Modula Xtreme
              Isiris
              Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
              Minerva Monitor
              Calliope
              Ardent D

In Development...
              Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
              Obi-Wan
              Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
              Modula PWB
              Calliope CC Supreme
              Natalie P Ultra
              Natalie P Supreme
              Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
              Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Evil Twin
                Super Senior Member
                • Nov 2004

Originally posted by wkhanna
                Greetings to the Dark Lord from our humble, distant federation outpost in the East.

the Empire's funding has been approved & processed for completion of the "Duded Up" SS D2904-7100 Nat-P's project.
                its beginnings can be found HERE

with your assistance on specifications for brand & quantity of 'no holds barred' crossover components deserving of the Chancellor Darth Sidious, we are ready to submit procurement forms to the Empirical depository.

does indication exist for these on the "Duded -Up" ScanSpeak Nat-P's?

Edit: note that Dan (PewterTA) & i both have the SS D2904-7100's in hand, mine for my completed 65 litre floor-standers & his for the curved 1cf PE cabinets that are waiting to built.
                That has yet to be determined, but I must warn you that the available quantities and values were relatively low... and they are now safely on the way to the Empire as we speak, shipping confirmations having been received from the Ukrainian smugglers I purchased these from.

The target I have in mind for them are a couple of possible small builds, equivalent to a 5" two way MT or MTM. Whether they prove satisfactory in that role is yet to be determined- the small size and low cost is a clear advantage, though.

Given that you are ready to proceed, it is obviously time for a full crossover design assessment. You may expect that this will begin this coming weekend...
                DFAL
                Dark Force Acoustic Labs

Comment

• augerpro
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Aug 2006

Jon the Esoteric are back, but slightly changed
                  ~Brandon 8O
                  Please donate to my Waveguides for CNC and 3D Printing Project!!
                  Please donate to my Monster Box Construction Methods Project!!
                  DriverVault
                  Soma Sonus

Comment

• wkhanna
                    • Jan 2006

Greetings & gratitude to our Dark Lord from his humbled servants.

We shall proceed as directed; any application of possibly superior components acquired from the Ukrainian smugglers will wait.
                    This LINK will provide the current status.
                    _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Evil Twin
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Nov 2004

Originally posted by augerpro
                      Jon the Esoteric are back, but slightly changed

"Return of the Esoteric"? One sincerely hopes the change is for the better...

The new measurements look more realistic for the 5" version, but they are troublesome- mechanical resonances just a above 2 kHz.

Mating the voice coil suited to a 12" driver with a 4" cone does not always produce exemplary results...

Most curiously, the 7" version appears better engineered and with more extended response before having problems...

Perhaps a revised concept for the CatherineZ can be considered... likely with a waveguide...
                      DFAL
                      Dark Force Acoustic Labs

Comment

• ---k---
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • Nov 2005

Originally posted by JonMarsh
                        Nope. Priorities...all the stuff is sitting around, but now that they discontinued the Esoteric drivers, it kind of pushes the reset button.
                        Understood. I wasn't rushing to build it. It just similar appear of the duded up Nat P and looked like it would be super popular. I had lost track and was wondering. No pressure or judgement intended.
                        - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
                        CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
                        CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• MikePM
                          • Jun 2005

Any word on when parts express is going to get new PE cabinets in so you can build the duded up Nat P? I think only the 1.0 cu. ft. in curved cherry is available. I'm not much of a wood worker and the cherry doesn't go with the wife's decor.

Comment

• wkhanna
                            • Jan 2006

maybe get the cherry & paint them?
                            might be a while for the replacements
                            also, it is a crap shoot as to whether the construction quality of the replacements will match the previous supplier

just thinking out loud........
                            _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Face
                              • Mar 2007

It would have been nice if PE gave them a nice clearance price, they would have all been gone already, and we would have the new cabinets. Instead, PE gave them a small price beak. They are still listed for higher than they sold for a few years ago and that's why they still have some older models in stock.
                              SEOS 12/AE TD10M Front Stage in Progress

Comment

• DFAL Minion
                                • Jan 2017

My padawan apprentice, wkhanna has procrastinated far too long on this assignment.

He is currently serving penance at the Chroman Labor Pits for a short time in an effort to "motivate' him.

While there he is also tasked with accelerated study of the Dark Force powers of electron management.

It is my hope that this experiance, along with ET's guidance of course, will accelerate completion of this project.

We shall see......
                                DFAL
                                Dark Force Acoustic Labs

Supreme Director of Operations, EVIL TWIN

"A Royal Guardsman never seeks special privileges, ever. His entire goal in life is to serve our Dark Master, ET, and the New Order he created."

Comment

• dar47
                                  • Nov 2008

I think many are lurking and hoping 2017 is it for this super duper soup up, haha. I have a friend who keeps saying are we going to build these or what? Alas I don't know how to do that choke thing.

Comment

• wkhanna
                                    • Jan 2006

i have recently returned from exile at the Chroman Labor Pits.
                                    my training was intense, however my skills are still not the level required to assign specifications to the xo components.

however i was able to gain a modicum of respect from ET such that he has elevated this task on his priority list.
                                    obviously, to banter him with updates on his progress will at best only annoy him, at worst, prove most uncomfortable for those of us who like to be able to breathe on our own.......
                                    _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• dar47
                                      • Nov 2008

Ya, I hear you Bill

Your patience will be reworded for this upgrade that I think has a ton of value. When I look around this is still the killer MTM that most guys can get approval for in the living room. My friend is looking to turn them up when she is gone so any old 2way will not do! I think Jon will be surprised how this will inspire a ton of new builds maybe more then the original.:W

Comment

• Evil Twin
                                        Super Senior Member
                                        • Nov 2004

Deferred gratification appears to be a unifying them for 2017...

My workload in re-training the Imperial remnants has gotten completely out of hand, as the Moffs are proving completely ineffective at managing resources. They are over committing to new goals in the effort to create the perception of dynamism in leadership, while neglecting and actually cutting back the resources necessary for true accomplishment.

Perhaps it is time to throw some of THEM down the reactor shaft...

Regardless, one must embrace the small pleasures and accomplishments, such as the long over due arrival of the Festool orbital sander. This unit was ordered in September, for delivery in November (new product), and they managed to catch up with demands and orders just the end of March- mine just received.

The construction and workmanship appears first rate, to the usual Festool standards, even though the pricing was more in line with ordinary brands.

I have the feeling that unless I hurl someone else down a reactor shaft soon, it will be an equally long period before I have the opportunity to try this unit out on the current projects...
                                        DFAL
                                        Dark Force Acoustic Labs

Comment

• Steve Manning
                                          • Dec 2006

Very nice ..... I hear once you go green and black you all done.
                                          Hold on to your butts - It's about to get Musical!

Comment

• TEK
                                            Super Senior Member
                                            • Oct 2002

Nice one Jon!
                                            Do you know what model number this unit has in europa?
                                            I can not find it.

Festool has several orbital sanders. Why did you end up on this one?
                                            I'm especially interested as my previous sander died on me, and I'm thinking about getting a Festool as a replacement
                                            -TEK

Many of the great achievements of the world were accomplished by tired and discouraged men who kept on working...

Comment

• Evil Twin
                                              Super Senior Member
                                              • Nov 2004

My apologies for the delay in getting back to you, but matters have been extraordinary this year....

Here, this is a Pro 5 Sander. Given differences in electrical power, it is not surprising that it is likely a North American model only- and priced reasonably, at $99 from "The Tool Nut" online.

If one goes to Festool in the USA,, there is nothing like this model listed online. Available models slot in to price ranges between $250 and $500. If one searches for that model on their web site using the name provided by "The Tool Nut", nothing turns up.

My sense through the Force that this was something of an experiment conducted with this online retailer- it was originally supposed to be delivered in early November, and response was so overwhelming that I did not receive mine when they caught up with the order backlog until April.

There is an occasionally used term, which would seem to apply to this model: "Unobtanium"

It is probably just something of a Fluke that I noticed and took advantage of the online flyer and ordered one when I did. I don't know if it was built down to this price point, or if it was something of an experimental loss leader intended to introduce a wider audience to Festool.

Time will tell... hopefully it will perform more reliably than the Mirka it replaces.

Right now, the similarly priced Milwaukee holds top honors in that price class for build and performance in $100 random orbital sanders.
                                              DFAL
                                              Dark Force Acoustic Labs

Comment

• elessar
                                                • Aug 2013

Well it use to be on the website (here is the google cached page)

according to that page it shows it's supposed to be an upgraded version. Congrats on a good deal. Recently I have started looking into getting a random orbital sander.

Comment

• augerpro
                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                  • Aug 2006

Original pics show it to be the new 125 REQ, but both mine and Jon's say Pro 5 LTD on the sander. Different or just labeling? Who knows.
                                                  ~Brandon 8O
                                                  Please donate to my Waveguides for CNC and 3D Printing Project!!
                                                  Please donate to my Monster Box Construction Methods Project!!
                                                  DriverVault
                                                  Soma Sonus

Comment

• TEK
                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                    • Oct 2002

If thats the case I envy you...
                                                    Du er vist havnet et forkert sted, der er intet her, prøv at gå tilbage eller klik her for at komme til forsiden.

For me, if importing from Denmark, the REQ would be about 350 usd 8O
                                                    -TEK

Many of the great achievements of the world were accomplished by tired and discouraged men who kept on working...

Comment

• ergo
                                                      • Mar 2005

New Brit has made a review video with these sanders. The others share same model name as the case shows above but the round one has a model nr ETS 125. Looks very similar though.

Comment

• CraigJ
                                                        • Feb 2006

Hi,

The promotion I was aware of was in early October 2016 and read;

Festool 201234 PRO 5 LTD ETS 125 REQ Random Orbital Sander (Pre-order) + Bonus $50 Festool Voucher for $99 + Free shipping.
                                                        Order the Festool PRO 5 Sander and receive a $50 voucher toward your next Festool power tool purchase. The voucher will be included in the Systainer with your sander. Voucher expires on December 31st, 2017

Note: This is a pre-order and the item will ship on Nov 1, 2016.

Comment

• Evil Twin
                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                          • Nov 2004

This is the same offering I received. Shipment did not occur until late March, though.
                                                          DFAL
                                                          Dark Force Acoustic Labs

Comment

• TEK
                                                            Super Senior Member
                                                            • Oct 2002

Please give me a heads up the next time you reveive an offer like this ;-)
                                                            -TEK

Comment

• Hdale85
                                                              Moderator Emeritus
                                                              • Jan 2006

I believe I posted a thread about that offer when I first found it. I wish I had funds to order one when it was available! Sadly I did not.

Comment

Working...
                                                              Searching...Please wait.
                                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                              Search Result for "|||"