X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jpphun
    • Dec 2015

so my DIY worked but does that apply to everything

so can i just replace my car speakers with dayton 5.25 woofers and expect improvements? With audio does the head unit do the crossover or is it within the speaker? if i change these will i need crossovers? i have a hyundai accent 2013 and it also has tweeters in the front door pillars, can i just upgrade those to a new tweeter or will it also need a crossover.
  • jwanck11
    • Jan 2016

Bot sure of the car audio knowledge on this forum??

A couple of things:

Your car speakers probably have a tweeter and a woofer together - so replacing them with a woofer is probably going to be a significant downgrade in clarity. Secondly, you can likely just replace your tweeters as there is a crossover already in the car.

Comment

• kevinm
      • Jun 2013

You could see an upgrade - if done right. The xovers your car uses are setup for a specific impedance, so you;d need to find drivers that match. Then you'd need to make sure you also find drivers that have the same/similar efficiency. If done correctly, I'm betting you could see a fairly nice difference. But that's a lot of IFs. I would recommend bypassing the stock xovers and using something custom.

I currently use some little dayton tweeters with 7in Dayton woofers and an active crossover. Sounds much, much better than stock.

Comment

• ---k---
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Nov 2005

I know nothing of car audio anymore.
        - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
        CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
        CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• Steve Manning
          • Dec 2006

It's been a while but ....... with a lot of car audio speaker companies you can purchase the appropriate crossovers at the same time, some even include them as a set. I would not really recommend using what you have there already since it is not optimized for the new drivers.
          Hold on to your butts - It's about to get Musical!

Comment

• kevinm
            • Jun 2013

Originally posted by Steve Manning
            It's been a while but ....... with a lot of car audio speaker companies you can purchase the appropriate crossovers at the same time, some even include them as a set. I would not really recommend using what you have there already since it is not optimized for the new drivers.
            I played around with some of these kits before i went active. Really wasn't impressed. They charge a premium for pretty mediocre equipment. I havent tried the more expensive stuff (higher end JL/Focal) - just couldnt justify the cost. Installed a complete active system (including sub with DSP and needed amps) for the cost of a nice set of Focal components.

But agreed, don't use the stock stuff.

Comment

• ergo
              • Mar 2005

Best is to start with internet (forums and Youtube) by searhing your specific car model and checking how do the originals look like and how they are mounted. My VW Tiguan for example has a pretty inconvenient mounting method - a specific few cm high plastic frame right on the speaker riveted to the door. I decided to go for the Eaton speaker upgrade kit built for Tiguan specifically. Made the job much easier and did achieve a clear sound improvement.

Whatever you'll use, try to stick with metal or polyprop cones if you choose from HiFi units. It's a harsh and humid environment with even direct water exposure is not totally impossible. The car units are built for a different durability in this sense.

My Tiguan speakers sounded rally poor - especially in winter. After hearing in Klippel training that there are car speakers that go up a lot with resonant frequency if there are freezing temperatures I checked my VW original also in temperature chamber later on... Sure enough, the resonant frequency went from about 55Hz to 300Hz when I got to -20 deg celsius !!! You can imagine that it'll sound very thinny indeed.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Eaton.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	861655

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"