X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jwanck11
    • Jan 2016

Almos speakers build

I am building an upward firing set of speakers to test Atmos characteristics in my HT environment (which is no where near perfect - or even good for that matter.) Running speakers in the ceiling would be way too much a pain in the ass as the room sits on a slab and has a fireplace and multiple doorways, a hallway egress/ingress and a half wall.

The speakers will feature 4 Faital 4" 8Ohm drivers a piece at a total of 120 watts. The enclosures are custom sized and angled to match the room, seating and the dimensions of my Statements and Finalists.

I have made decent progress - though I am somewhat stalled until the screws and terminals arrive from parts-express. I also will be getting the GEN3-XP5 that will initially power them on Monday as long as UPS stays on time!

I'll post dimensions later (my paper with all of the measurements are downstairs in the basement and I'm on the front porch with a laptop and a stogie at the moment.) Here are a couple of teaser picts of this basic build to test the concept. I am hoping they sound cool but am worried about just how much an effect there will be in addition to the likelihood of being localized.

part of the box assembled:

Image not available

measuring for the terminal cups

Image not available

terminal cup test fit

Image not available

baffle front

Image not available

baffle rear

Image not available

clamped together

Image not available

with speaker

Image not available

fronts will be at 30 degrees and rear are at 20 degrees to reflect positioning. I have the foam, wires, etc for the rest of the build - and I anticipate listening to them by next weekend.
    Last edited by theSven; 08 July 2023, 13:40 Saturday. Reason: Remove broken image links
  • jwanck11
    • Jan 2016

having a bugger of a time painting the baffles with a rattle can. I did 3 light coats, sanded with 1000 grit, tacked and put down another 2 light coats - and got significant spider cracking. I am guessing 24 hours between coating then sanding was not enough. So, I am waiting for the cracked coat to dry so that I can sand it off and go at it again.

I need to move to a painter now that the weather is warming up and I'll be going at the statements and finalists. What sprayers / kind of sprayers are you guys using?

Comment

• ---k---
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Nov 2005

Good start. Looking forward to hearing your results.

Are you copying an Atmos design? Any reason you went with 4 - 4" drivers in each box?

I hate rattle cans.
      - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
      CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
      CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• kevinm
        • Jun 2013

I use a Fuji spray system - specifically the Fuji Semi-Pro 2. I've painted all kinds of stuff with it - most recently all the doors in my house (white latex). Works great once you get a hang of setting up the paint/gun properly.

What type of finishing are looking to get? Did seal the MDF (specifically the edges)?

Comment

• jwanck11
          • Jan 2016

Thanks very much for the responses.

@K, I actually am copying a number of different design ideas. I originally got the idea from the klipsch implementation and thought about designing atmos into my statements and then realized atmos is highly likely to be transient. So, once I decided to go a stand alone speaker, I found a similar design on several forums. The 4 speaker design is a direct copy of a user names Javs on avsforum; however, I had actually selected the drivers (Faital FE432) before he went that direction. As there is no crossover work needed and I will end up with an 8 Ohm load / speaker, this is a technically simply and easy to drive design. This is a proof of concept so I am keeping costs low.

@Kevin, that is a cool looking sprayer. I will look into it. I am just coloring the baffles at the moment, and am researching what I need to do for the butt joins and exposed edges.

I did run across a product called duratex. Has anyone heard of it and/or used it? I understand it can be used as a primer as well and there is no need to seal it.

I am thinking of a semi-gloss cabinet with a dark walnut color and a satin baffle.

BTW... my GEN3 XPA-5 was delivered this morning. I have not yet unwrapped it, but am very excited to bring it online in conjunction with my Outlaw 7700!

Comment

• jwanck11
            • Jan 2016

oh - and I hate rattle can't too!!! I just wanted to get the baffle done and I immediately regretted that decision.

Comment

• jwanck11
              • Jan 2016

Regarding sprayers, the Fuji get a lot of grate reviews. I am wondering though whether it makes sense to go with an HVLP system or an Airless like the Graco. They are about the same prices and it seems the Graco can do a much larger area if I buy a model that can suck from a pail.

Comment

• Alaric
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Jan 2006

MDF sucks up primer like Bernie Sanders sucks up other people's money. A decent coat of primer is pretty much a requirement for spray bombs.

Interesting design! I'm curious to see how it turns out.
                Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                Schiit Modi 3
                Marantz CD5005
                Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• jwanck11
                  • Jan 2016

hahaha Alaric! Thanks for the advice. The duratek product looks promising and it seems many have had good luck / results with it. I am not sold, but highly considering that route.

I will be sure to present my opinion. Whether it works, sucks or is somewhere in the middle, I will be sure to post my straightforward opinion.

I have opened threads on HVLP versus airless to get opinions and perspectives - I am hoping to buy something in the next week or two.

Comment

• Steve Manning
                    • Dec 2006

Isn't the duratex a textured type coating? Not sure if that's what your going for. You might want to try a couple of coats of epoxy, sand in between coats, My understanding is that does a pretty good job of sealing things up for painting or veneer work on mdf.

I have the Earlex 5500 sprayer. If you not into spending a lot of money that's a pretty good option. If you have the funds though, I think the Fuji's are the way to go.
                    Hold on to your butts - It's about to get Musical!

Comment

• kevinm
                      • Jun 2013

AFAK, Duratex can't be sprayed. It'll need to be rolled. Great product for MDF since it hides seams very well.

If you decide to spray with normal paint, seal the cabinets with a billion coats of sanding sealer. Otherwise you'll have terrible seams popping through the paint.

Comment

• jwanck11
                        • Jan 2016

There is a "spray version" I will be calling the company about this morning. My understanding is that you can get a smooth coat, but I want to ask. I dont want a textured finish.

Thanks for the tip for mdf. Looking back, I would have gone with wood and been a bit more detail oriented, but have no regrets that I have a wonderful set of speakers that sound fantastic. I want to compliment them with a good finish, while putting time and efforts into the "new." I will be building something else (already have the itch) and once I settle on what that will be, I'll decide on a set of techniques to challenge myself.

Thanks for the head's up on the Earlex. I will look into it! I have a lot of painting to do and then the tool I buy will probably sit in between uses for some thereafter.

Comment

• jwanck11
                          • Jan 2016

Thanks Kevin! Yeah, I plan to coat everything in bondo and then a sealer before priming and painting.

Comment

• jwanck11
                            • Jan 2016

Well, a Fuji paint system is on the way as is a trial quart of Duratex. I am also headed to Benjamin Moore to get a sample of water based gloss black for test shooting. Thanks for all of the help and suggestions with painting!

Last night I made most of the internal wiring for the Atmos speakers; today I hope to finish making the wires and get the boxes all glued. My goal is to be test firing them tomorrow. I have a lot of work to do setting and wiring in the new Emotiva amp, and have travel soccer tryouts to run, so it might be Friday before I get a first listen. Picts forthcoming!

Comment

• TEK
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Oct 2002

If you want a perfect finish I would suggest that you route a small recess over your joints, use filler, sand it flat and finally cost the whole thing with some layers of epoxy. Finally rough out/flatten the epoxy before you apply base coat and finish.
                              You may get a good result without the epoxy as well, but it's a bit more risky.

I painted my this way, expect the recesses and filler i the joints. I think I would ha much easier job with the joints if I had done that.
                              -TEK

Many of the great achievements of the world were accomplished by tired and discouraged men who kept on working...

Comment

• jwanck11
                                • Jan 2016

Thanks TEK for the process!! I basically did the groove and filler on the Statements. I cut a small channel and filled it with a mixture of glue and mdf dust, then sanded it. I planned on doing the same for the atmos speakers and then using bonds before epoxy and finally paint.

I am very interested in seeing how the duratex product looks... I have my mind set on a black mirror finish, but want to do several tests of different techniques to ultimately decide on the finish that is going to go on. The one thing about black mirror is that dust shows within a couple of days - and I am not sure my OCD tendencies can handle that.

One of the atmos speakers is fully assembled other than the top pieces of foam and soldering on the terminals / screwing down the plate. The others are in the final stages of assembly and glueing. They will be done tomorrow, Friday at the latest. It will take me the better part of Friday afternoon / night to set up the new amp and run all of the new wiring so Saturday I expect to listen to my first movie with them. Pretty excited. I have lots of pictures on my phone that I have to get up to photo bucket to share ... something to do tomorrow.

Comment

• ---k---
                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                  • Nov 2005

I want to know how they sound and whether you think the Atmos is worth it. I've read mixed reviews.
                                  - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
                                  CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
                                  CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• jwanck11
                                    • Jan 2016

They are done, are upstairs and are in place in raw form. I will run the wiring tomorrow night and be listening to them Saturday.

The duratex arrived today too. I am going to wait to open the can for when I am ready to apply as I understand it skins very easily / quickly. My Fuji also arrived.... oh man, I can't wait to play!

Comment

• jwanck11
                                      • Jan 2016

There are 2 cut lists because one pair is sitting on top of the Statements and the other on top of the Finalists:

Statements sized:
                                      (2) 10 X 10 - Bottom
                                      (4) 10 3/4 X 7 7/8 - Sides
                                      (2) 11 X 7 7/8 - Front
                                      (2) 10 1/4 X 9 1/2 - Baffle
                                      (2) 2 1/2 X 9 1/2 - Baffle Support (30 degree angle)
                                      (2) 9 1/2 X 7 7/8 - Rear

Finalists:
                                      (2) 10 1/4 X 9 1/2 - Baffle
                                      (2) 9 1/2 X 7 7/8 - Rear
                                      (2) 11 X 7 7/8 - Front
                                      (4) 11 1/4 X 7 7/8 - Sides
                                      (2) 9 1/2 X 10 1/2 - Bottom
                                      (4) 2 1/2 X 9 1/2 - Baffle Support (20 degree angle)

All the wiring got done late last night and I'll be listening today.

Comment

• jwanck11
                                        • Jan 2016

The weather is getting much nicer and it's about time to plan to finish all of my builds - though I have 2 subs to build yet ... but, I decided to buy a house, so pretty much all DIY work has come to a halt until I am in the new place. That means I get to enjoy the creations a bit longer before having to disassemble them for finishing.

The atmos speakers came out pretty well. I will have to do a better foam cut on the finished variants, but for now, they are acceptable.

I guess the most important thing is that without question, they work. I have no doubt that downward firing speakers would give a better response, but can relate that upward firing does in fact produce a height effect to the experience. I have the atmos speakers running off of their own amp so I can cut over in the middle of a scene or replay scenes, events and actions with and without the atmos speakers running and everyone who has been in to listen to the system comments they really like it when the atmos speakers are running. Leaves fall from trees and we can hear the descent, helicopters, planes, dirigibles, etc all seem to hover above the line of the 5.1 system sound waves. Explosions now fill the entire listening space. Background music and effects are more "environmental" in complete. Again, downward firing I am certain would give a better effect, but these upward firing are a great addition to our theater experience.

That said, I do turn them off for music as the Statements and Finalists (actually I prefer just the LR Statements) do a much better job of creating an immersive sound stage.

lots of wire components!

Image not available

1" pyramid was all that would fit in the box! You can also see the angle of the baffle in this shot.

Image not available

Drivers set in and wired up!

Image not available

All 4 ready to fire up

Image not available

Sitting on a Finalist

Image not available

Image not available
                                        Last edited by theSven; 08 July 2023, 13:40 Saturday. Reason: Remove broken image links

Comment

Working...
                                        Searching...Please wait.
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                        Search Result for "|||"