X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • flamethrower1
    • May 2008

port question

I am on the tail end of a vented Trtrix pair for A friend of mines rear speakers.
    The original design was a straight vent that was 2" Dia x 6 1/2" long.
    The kit I purchased was the Precision Port 268-348 from PE which has flared ends .
    Anyway, do I have to make any adjustments in my overall length to compensate for this?
  • dar47
    • Nov 2008

Pretty sure the flared portion on each end is not considered in the port length.

Comment

• flamethrower1
      • May 2008

I ended up finding a port calculator on PE for the Percision ports, put in the parameters and it came out very close to the original.
      Going to roll with that, will put them in first unglued and do so listening and adjust if needed.

Comment

• Steve Manning
        • Dec 2006

Don't know if this will be of use to you ..... I had a similar conversation with Troels Gravesen when I built my 1071's. He told me to go ahead and include the flare length in the calculation. He also provided some additional information to me when I could not get port calculations to match his stuff. http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/ports.htm ......... http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/vent_tuning.htm.
        Hold on to your butts - It's about to get Musical!

Comment

• ---k---
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Nov 2005

You can easily model the port length in Unibox or other programs. It has inputs for one or two ends flared and will adjust accordingly. It is pretty easy.
          - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
          CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
          CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• Jim Holtz
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Mar 2005

How about using Precision Port's online calculator?

Originally posted by flamethrower1
            I am on the tail end of a vented Trtrix pair for A friend of mines rear speakers.
            The original design was a straight vent that was 2" Dia x 6 1/2" long.
            The kit I purchased was the Precision Port 268-348 from PE which has flared ends .
            Anyway, do I have to make any adjustments in my overall length to compensate for this?
            The easiest way to get an accurate port length is to use Precision Port's online calculator HERE. Precision Ports have such a large flare that they measure a bit different. However, Curt has told me that minor difference will have little if any effect on the outcome.

HTH

Jim

Comment

• JonP
              • Apr 2006

Good suggestions all, above, and the PP calculator probably the best. Flares add some, but less than their full length to the port, from the perspective of the tuning you'll get. You will benefit from an improved threshold of chuffing noise, i.e. playing louder and lower before you hear port noise. See Collo's Subwoofer Site, if your interested, in some experiments on noise thresholds with different sized ports and flares.

And... the Precision Ports do look very cool and professional, especially when flush mounted.

Comment

• JonMarsh
                Mad Max Moderator
                • Aug 2000

Yup, PP's are my preferred choice if I'm going ported, though these days I lean more towards passive radiators, in spite of the expense.
                the AudioWorx
                Natalie P
                M8ta
                Modula Neo DCC
                Modula MT XE
                Modula Xtreme
                Isiris
                Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                Minerva Monitor
                Calliope
                Ardent D

In Development...
                Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                Obi-Wan
                Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                Modula PWB
                Calliope CC Supreme
                Natalie P Ultra
                Natalie P Supreme
                Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"