X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tomrip
    • May 2010

help with finalist center speaker

Hello all. i have purchased a flat pack for the finalist center speaker. I also got the kit that has all speakers and components with it. Before i begin, so i must apologize in advance for begin a noob. Ok, form looking at drawings, i see the mids are enclosed inside, so to get speaker wires in, do we just drill a hole, run wires in and seal? Are there any pictures of the finalist center crossover put together. Is there a guide telling how to hook up the speaker wires? i am sorry for the silly questions, just want to put the box together, and want to plan accordingly.
  • Jim Holtz
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

Originally posted by tomrip
    Hello all. i have purchased a flat pack for the finalist center speaker. I also got the kit that has all speakers and components with it. Before i begin, so i must apologize in advance for begin a noob. Ok, form looking at drawings, i see the mids are enclosed inside, so to get speaker wires in, do we just drill a hole, run wires in and seal? Are there any pictures of the finalist center crossover put together. Is there a guide telling how to hook up the speaker wires? i am sorry for the silly questions, just want to put the box together, and want to plan accordingly.
    The woofers and mids are both wired in parallel and then attached to the crossover. Yes, drill appropriate size holes in the mid chamber wall to feed the wires through then seal them with a drop of glue. The wires connecting to the woofers are fed behind the mid chamber. The binding posts and crossover should be placed behind the woofer that is closest to your amp or receiver.

I don't have any pictures or tutorial to offer beyond the CAD drawing of the cabinet. It sounds like this may be your 1st project. Since it's a 3-way, its much more complicated than a small 2-way. I'd suggest you contact who ever you bought the flat pack from and see if they offer crossover assembly. The mids are wired in reverse polarity which is a bit confusing until you've created a few crossovers which of course requires the ability to read schematics.

Also, search here for center channel build threads that usually have many pictures and step by step assembly. The Statements II and Finalists centers are the same except for tweeter/ribbon cut out size and the tweeter/ribbon crossover portion. Actual assembly will be the same.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Jim

Comment

• Renron
      • Jan 2008

Tomrip,
      There are no silly questions, except the ones that don't get asked. Ask away!
      We'll help you with whatever you need help with. I use hot melt glue seal drilled holes for the speaker wires. Works well and stays semi-flexible.
      Use a good quality glue like TiteBond 2. Lightly rough up the MDF surface (120 grit) when gluing up corners. End grain (it's not really end grain) MDF sucks up a lot of glue, so don't be stingy. Use a moist paper towel to mop up the excess. Clamp tight and square. It doesn't have to be 1,000,000 PSI tight.
      Plan ahead on how you are going to finish the speaker(s) before you start.
      Ask a LOT of questions before you make a mistake. We'll help. This is a fantastic Web Site.

PS, Jim is a really good guy, and smart too.
      Ron
      Ardent TS

Comment

• Jim Holtz
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Renron
        Tomrip,
        There are no silly questions, except the ones that don't get asked. Ask away!
        We'll help you with whatever you need help with. I use hot melt glue seal drilled holes for the speaker wires. Works well and stays semi-flexible.
        Use a good quality glue like TiteBond 2. Lightly rough up the MDF surface (120 grit) when gluing up corners. End grain (it's not really end grain) MDF sucks up a lot of glue, so don't be stingy. Use a moist paper towel to mop up the excess. Clamp tight and square. It doesn't have to be 1,000,000 PSI tight.
        Plan ahead on how you are going to finish the speaker(s) before you start.
        Ask a LOT of questions before you make a mistake. We'll help. This is a fantastic Web Site.

PS, Jim is a really good guy, and smart too.
        Ron
        Great advice and tips Ron!

Thank you for the kind words. However, you've obviously never gotten my wife's opinion regarding my "smarts" but I appreciate your thoughts!

Jim

Comment

• fbov
          • Jun 2008

Tom,
          Do you know how to solder? Can you glue two panels square?

These are two skills you will need to get from flat pack to speaker. Renron covered a lot, I'll add to dry fit things to see if your glue-up plan will work. Glue things together progressively, using unglued panels to keep things square. Let glue dry an hour or more between glue-ups. 90 degree clamps can help, but I don't use them. Pin nailers are very good for maintaining alignment while gluing, but don't buy one for this...

Soldering the XO may be a challenge; there's a pre-assembled option you may want to look into if this is daunting. Soldering irons are cheap, and lots of us just twist wires together and solder. You will need a mounting board; pegboard has holes convenient for tie-wraps to hold things down. You don't want a buzz due to loose components!

Have fun,
          Frank

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"