X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ShaunD
    • Jan 2006

Modula MT matching center

I have Modula MTs with the Dayton RS28A-4 in the PE .75cu ft boxes and I'm trying to find a center to build. I want to use a prebuilt box and precut baffle.

Is there anything like this? Or maybe a prebuilt speaker that would match? I imagine that would cost a lot more though. There's this: http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-...herry--302-973

Also, In 2006 I built a set of Modula MTs with the H1212 tweeters, and prefer those. Would a center with the H1212 be too different from the mains for home theater use?
  • dar47
    • Nov 2008

I built theses with the H1212. Your going to have to build or get someone to build the box though.

Comment

• ShaunD
      • Jan 2006

That's what I'd like to avoid. I just want something prebuilt that I can use until I move in a year or so.

How well would this or this match, and would they work as centers?

Comment

• fbov
        • Jun 2008

Not as well as if you didn't take the shortcut...

My HT is based on Jon's RSS MTMs, specifically the Natalie P. The RSS722 you link are another RSS MTM, in fact, there are about 8 different crossover designs out there for the same drivers in the same box and application. The RSS722 kit is about as close as you'll come, in a ready-to-build kit. The problem is that MTMs are intended to be used vertically, so that when toppled, they have wide variation in response as you move off-axis. As long as everyone's within ~20* of the tweeter axis, it's minor. At 40-45* off-axis, it's huge.

There are other approaches that offer substantial benefit. This article covers more than I can, with data. You'll note they love the WMTW, with vertical TM section, as that's the "really" right way to go, if size is not a limitation.

The one option they don't cover is Jon's approach; close-mount the RS180's to drive the interference frequency up, and use a robust tweeter with a low crossover point, so the RS180's never get a chance to interact. The only issue is finding the correct tweeter; I used the Illuminator D3004/602010, which is still available. You would need help cutting a new baffle, but if you can solder the XO, that's it. Put it in a 1 cu ft PE box; they come with blank baffles.

I figured it keeps things in the family (all Jon Marsh RS180 MTMs). Being designed by the same person, one might expect a similar sound, despite the CC's design variants.

HAve fun,
        Frank

PS another TM is the best option of all... vertically oriented, of course!

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"