Oh great...another 'what speaker' thread. ;)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AndrewM
    • Oct 2000

Oh great...another 'what speaker' thread. ;)

So it's been quite a few years since I've been around - work, life and just being generally happy with my setup has kept me away. But I'm starting to get back into some good ol' fashioned music listening and I'm finding my current setup just isn't making me happy. So since I've been away and out of the loop I come looking for advice.

What I've heard and liked - I'm drawn to crazy detailed mids and highs. I really love the sound one can get out of ESL's and Maggies, and I lean a bit more to the ESL side, from the low end Martin Logans all the way up to house-priced Soundlabs. If I had the space for them (I can't really work with such tall and wide speakers), I wouldn't even be asking this question, but I can't pull them off in the space I'm in, about the most I could do are the smallest Martin Logans and there are just a few too many trade-offs with them. There are some aspects of the higher end B&W's that I've enjoyed (800 series - almost bought a set of 804's many years ago). I've enjoyed the sounds from JM Labs/Focal old Utopia line, I assume the current stuff is the same/better, I've never heard their lower line up (back then they didn't have the same kind of lineup). My last set of DIY speakers were Focal TLR's with some 7" Focal kevlar drivers in an MTM (but with a really lackluster x-over), what they did well they did very well...but the flip side of what they didn't do well wasn't all that great.

What I have and why I don't like it - I really only have a giant great room (well it's part kitchen, living room, dining room, etc...but all open...and probably 800-1000sq/ft - but listening position is probably 15-16ft from ear to speaker) for TV/Movie and music listening so many, many, MANY years ago I put together 3 NatP's for HT use (wasn't listening to much music) and I've been happy with them in that role. But now for music I'm finding them lacking a little bit. And it's hard to explain why, the speakers are overall better than my old Focal setup, I liken it to taking a nice RAW photo, correcting everything that is wrong with it, make it pleasing, but then save it as a medium compression JPEG at a lowish resolution, overall the picture if great, but you notice some things that just aren't perfect. A cymbal doesn't sound quite as good as it should. That 'snap' of a snare drum isn't quite the same and on it goes. On the one hand it sounds nit-picky, and it probably is, but it's enough to keep me from listening to music as much as I could be. And to be fair, as I've listened to some 'store bought' stuff the NatP's are huge value wise, I haven't really heard anything under the $3-4k range (I haven't really hit the higher end stores yet) that were what I would call overall better, lots sounded different in some ways, but from a total package standpoint. As for equipment, I have a few amps sitting around (Anthem, Aragon..some small wattage Class A thing), some older Rega TT...basically call it the low end of high-end stuff.

So I started looking around to see what the latest and greatest is. The linkwitz stuff caught my eye, the LXMini probably won't work in my room (room is way too big), the LX521's look promising, but are lacking a bit on the aesthetics. The NaO's look interesting, a little better on the aesthetics. I'm not sure if I really need to go the open baffle route, the things I love about ESL's aren't the bi/dipole nature of it (to me it's a small part of it), and I'd be concerned about placement and the like (now and in the future). But is that truly a big concern, I can get stuff a couple feet off the walls, but after that I'm pretty limited.

The Ardents look good, but I'm curious about the Accuton midrange, never heard them (and don't have an Avalon or anybody else that uses them dealer nearby), but I have never heard anything bad about them, but will they sound good to me? I have liked the few ScanSpeak tweeters I've heard, and a beryllium version, I can't imagine I'll not like it. But beyond that I haven't really seen many other designs that blow my kilt up so far.

I don't really have a set budget in mind other than I'm not afraid to spend bucks to get good results, I'm willing to go pretty far into the grey area of 'diminishing returns' to get what I'm after.

Thoughts/comments/questions? What have I missed?
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

Hmm, I understand what you're saying, but what you HAVEN'T told is is what your source system is like.

If I hook up a set of NatalieP's to my current home system, I could sell them to just about anyone, I'm sure, but a large measure of that is what the DAC does and the rest of the electronics, and all of that sounds a lot like what you're missing.

That is not to say that if one redesigned the NatP's for the Scanspeak 6640's that we used in the Ardents that they wouldn't be better, or that overall the Ardents are in another class, IMO, in a major part because of the C79 and also the low distortion and dynamics of the SW223BD01/02.

But I'm just saying, the difference between what my current electronics setup does and what I was using 10-11 years ago when the NatP was designed is pretty staggering, IMO. Now, it's also a staggering difference in what you can get at more moderate price ranges, too. If I had to minimize my outlay, I'd go for a Schitt Yggdrasil DAC, and a Cambridge Audio integrated using the Class XD amps. With more budget, I'd bump that up in the amplification, say, a Cambridge Audio 851e preamp and some DIY Hypex nCore 400's in dual mono. More money, and I'd go with an AURALiC Taurus Pre preamp, and an NAD M22. I'd recommend the AURALiC Vega DAC, too, but I'm not fully convinced it's better than the Yggdrasil. It is more expensive, though. Next step would be adding re-clocking with a Mutec 1.3, and throw in a Rubidium 10MHz oscillator to stabilize that.

And if you have time on your hands, do the electronics and wait and see how the Minerva monitor turns out. It will cost less than the Ardents, depending on the build approach, and will have some use case advantages (such as near field off axis).
    the AudioWorx
    Natalie P
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• AndrewM
      • Oct 2000

Originally posted by JonMarsh
      Hmm, I understand what you're saying, but what you HAVEN'T told is is what your source system is like.
      It's a mix of mid-fi stuff and lower end hi-fi stuff. Some good amps (Anthem, Aragon, some boutique low-power Class A thing...sits in the closet), decent Rega TT bought used (cheaper Phono preamp on it though)....I haven't really dived into re-doing the digital side of it yet. But it's all still going through an SR7xxx series Marantz receiver (another place I'm looking to make some changes).

If I hook up a set of NatalieP's to my current home system, I could sell them to just about anyone, I'm sure, but a large measure of that is what the DAC does and the rest of the electronics, and all of that sounds a lot like what you're missing.
      No doubt I'm not getting the best out of the electronics, but I grabbed one of the Focal speakers and hooked it up to one side and there are things I'm just not getting out of the NatP's with how everything is setup today. That reads much worse than it really is, the Focal setup is not hooked up for a reason as the NatP's are a much better overall package.

I hate trying to describe sound because it just becomes impossible. But take the crash of cymbal, it sounds quite a bit different (and to me better) coming from the TLR tweeter than it does the Dayton. Same with the sound of a drumstick hitting a snare drum, just a little clearer on the focal setup, electric guitar swings both ways and on it goes. I can go the other way as well, the Focal setup is so poorly implemented that there are a lot of things it does worse than the NatP's, as mentioned they aren't hooked up for a reason (and this would have been a kit that would have cost around $2k....thank god for used...).

That is not to say that if one redesigned the NatP's for the Scanspeak 6640's that we used in the Ardents that they wouldn't be better, or that overall the Ardents are in another class, IMO, in a major part because of the C79 and also the low distortion and dynamics of the SW223BD01/02.
      This goes back to having to describe sounds, I'm just really curious how the Accutons sound since I've never heard them and don't have an easy way to hear them. The best way I can describe the TLR tweeter is that when it's running within it's parameters it's REALLY good (like comparing a supermarket choice strip steak and a grade 5+ Kobe strip), it will turn a soft-dome hardliner into a hard dome person, but you are really paying a lot for that privilege, from a value perspective they don't pencil out, despite all the stuff I'm talking about in these posts it's all remarkably subtle stuff, if I asked my wife if one was worth 15-20x more money than the other, she'd have me committed.

I'm guessing the Accutons are much the same?

But I'm just saying, the difference between what my current electronics setup does and what I was using 10-11 years ago when the NatP was designed is pretty staggering, IMO. Now, it's also a staggering difference in what you can get at more moderate price ranges, too. If I had to minimize my outlay, I'd go for a Schitt Yggdrasil DAC, and a Cambridge Audio integrated using the Class XD amps. With more budget, I'd bump that up in the amplification, say, a Cambridge Audio 851e preamp and some DIY Hypex nCore 400's in dual mono. More money, and I'd go with an AURALiC Taurus Pre preamp, and an NAD M22. I'd recommend the AURALiC Vega DAC, too, but I'm not fully convinced it's better than the Yggdrasil. It is more expensive, though. Next step would be adding re-clocking with a Mutec 1.3, and throw in a Rubidium 10MHz oscillator to stabilize that.
      I'll have to take a look at some of those items, the Hypex NC400 is on my short list already (hey I like to build things...). I am lucky that I have a local high end store that somehow manages to collect/sell lots of gear, so I pop in from time to time to see what they have, quite a lot of it dives into the esoteric stuff, but there are some buys from time to time.

And if you have time on your hands, do the electronics and wait and see how the Minerva monitor turns out. It will cost less than the Ardents, depending on the build approach, and will have some use case advantages (such as near field off axis).
      Some of it will be happening as I go and find stuff, some will wait until I decide on some speakers, it's hard to decide on an amplifier choice if you're looking at everything from 2 channels needed (most passive speakers) all the way up to 10 channels needed (Linkwitz 521's with miniDSP).

Comment

• BobEllis
        Super Senior Member
        • Dec 2005

Jon has a good point about feeding the Nat-P with good gear. I built a pair for a friend. They sounded much better with a portable CD player feeding directly into a Hafler DH-500 than through his low range Pioneer receiver. He was happy so I bit my tongue.

That said, it sounds like your room is fairly large and you might benefit from turning the Nat-Ps into a three way with some bass bins. It might be the stress of trying to reach low in a big room causing some of the apparent high end issues. I have a small MT (Seas Excel) that sounds great in a small room but in a 500+ sq. ft. room they sound a bit rough. Still working on my Ardents to solve that. . How about adding a pair of L26ROYs and PRs under each Nat-P?

Comment

• dar47
          • Nov 2008

Okay, I'm going to have to be careful here as you seem to have a blank canvas with a budget, and my wife said I'm a great purchaser and need to work on saving, haha.

Jon has already given you a wise recommendation on source gear to get the best out of your P's. that you like and he is not pushing new speaks. If you can hear some Keff Blades that would give you an idea of concentric drivers and an idea of his new design. Sounds like you like dome tweeters soft or hard and haven't mentioned ribbons. From the P's there are some larger stand mounted 3ways I would consider over a MTM. If you want to hear a new $7000.00 larger stand mount 3way getting praise go hear a Harbeth 40.2 monitor. If you like that sound and could handle the price then you are now in the kick that all over the play ground range of the Ardents. Of course you have to have the funds and want it for at least 10 years or in my case my last speak. If you can find a speak with a diamond or beryllium tweet that would give you an idea of the tweet worth to you. The BE at 1/3 the cost most would say your there. The Accuton mid is very resolving and neutral some would say polite, to me it just does it all and you don't notice it. Com speaks with them are north of $10G's. Great advise with added base to your P's but if you can't spare the room or aesthetics and love sealed base in a 42" tower then the Ardents have enough for your size room. Sounds like you have already experience a great system design and you have noted Jon's crossovers are hard to beat so that goes without saying.

Many ways to attack it, improve your source gear and stay put or start with new Speaks and add the gear to keep up. I would go listen to as many new commercial speaks as you can and note the prices. The new speaks, DACs, amps and interfaces from computer that might give you an idea of what you like.

Comment

• ---k---
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Nov 2005

Maybe he is just ready to move up to the CatZ. poke poke poke.

Depending on the size, budget, and output levels. Over the years, I've seen lots of simple small 2-ways with Scan drivers that I'm sure would deliver quality that he is after. Not sure about the output level and impact. I thought Jeff Bagby had a Raal design out there that might be the ticket.
            - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
            CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
            CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• 5th element
              Supreme Being Moderator
              • Sep 2009

It is possible that the differences you are hearing between the NatP and the focal loudspeaker are related to linear distortion. That and the chosen crossover points and resulting of axis response. Jon has designed the NatP to be neutral and without any off axis issues typically associated with six and a half inch plus one inch two ways. The focals might not be so lucky.

From a tonal balance point of view you are probably better going by how the NatP sounds and then if you want to add some spice to the sound use small amounts of EQ or tone controls. There is absolutely nothing wrong with this if it gives you the kind of sound you are after. A good preamp with tone controls can make some music that would otherwise be quite unlistenable pleasant on the ears. It is only the recent audiophile trend to completely remove tone controls well once upon a time they were included so that you could get the sound how you wanted it. All recordings are not created equal and a bit of adjustment here and there it's never a bad thing just don't go overboard with it.
              What you screamin' for, every five minutes there's a bomb or something. I'm leavin' Bzzzzzzz!
              5th Element, otherwise known as Matt.
              Now with website. www.5een.co.uk Still under construction.

Comment

• JonMarsh
                Mad Max Moderator
                • Aug 2000

With the right source components (especially the DAC) then you may also benefit from some judicious component upgrades in the crossover. Were I building myself a set of NatP's today, I would use Clarity MR caps in the tweeter circuit or at least the Jantzen Superior Z. This has an impact in reducing treble "fuzz" and increasing definition.

I cannot under emphasize how important your digital source component is... I've basically been very "meh" about digital until I got my Berkeley Alpha DAC and some of the subsequent units. The Yiggy is the best bang for the buck out there; NAD M51 was my previous "low dollar" preference. And is still very good. Just not quite as good for overall natural tonality and resolution. (Though close...)

My reference DAC is a Total-DAC D1 Dual (full balanced) currently running with a Brainstrom DCD-8 re-clocking system with 10MHz rubidium oscillator, so yeah, I'm a little out there, but then I used to have a very good vinyl rig and it's only since the Berkeley that I'm really getting fairly happy with digital.
                the AudioWorx
                Natalie P
                M8ta
                Modula Neo DCC
                Modula MT XE
                Modula Xtreme
                Isiris
                Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                Minerva Monitor
                Calliope
                Ardent D

In Development...
                Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                Obi-Wan
                Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                Modula PWB
                Calliope CC Supreme
                Natalie P Ultra
                Natalie P Supreme
                Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• AndrewM
                  • Oct 2000

Everybody, thanks for the feedback. A few other details, I do already have the bass side covered with a 15" sub in a giant sealed enclosure (tuned to a Qtc around .57'ish with a little EQ to help it out).

From a source perspective, no doubt what I have is lacking, but it's also in flux right now as I'm looking to build back into a 2ch setup, and I have no idea which ways I'll go with the various pieces at the moment, I'll certainly check out all of the items mentioned. About my only real limitation is the need to integrate it into the HT side of things (well there are budget constraints as well), but it appears a number of pre-amps have HT bypass modes, certainly not ideal, but those are the cards I've been dealt.

As for the speaker side, the other reason for looking at options is simply the desire for another project along with all of the rest plus the desire to step up to that next level. I've been digging around to see what options are out there, I have been eyeing the Ardents. I've also been intrigued by the Troels SP44 setup (linky-link) as a step down from the Ardents (cost, size, probably SQ in many areas), although the cabinets need some help in terms of over-building (so they'd be a bit larger in depth once it's all done), may be a little thin output wise in my room. But any other input is always welcome, Troels stuff is generally well reviewed, but I lack the expertise to really dissect it all.

Some of Troels other designs are interesting, although many are simply too large for where they need to go, others don't really make sense from a cost/value perspective, like the Ekta speaker looks interesting, but it would cost more to build than the SP44's and Troels says the SP will outperform the Ekta. The Illumina 66 looks nice as well, but I'm worried about it being a fairly small 2 way (for my big'ish room), but on the flip side I don't really listen too loud... The Zaph Audio ZRT 2.5 looks interesting and is well reviewed, so it's on the short list as well (put it in a solid enclosure and build it up with some good x-over components). Any other designs worth checking out?

Comment

• Carl V
                    • Apr 2005

Any other designs worth checking out?
                    Look into Rick Craig's site SELAH audio

His Tempesta, Ottavo estremo TRT etc.,
                    would all be good candidates

have fun.

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"