X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kkaminski
    • Jan 2016

Statement II inductor Question

Hello everyone!

I've started my first build and slowing gathering parts/building the cabinets. Since the Canadian dollar is absolute crap right now, I've been doing my best to keep my purchases in Canada. Now, the crossover for the NEOCD3 calls for a 18 AWG, 0.4mH inductor. Would it be possible to use a 18 AWG, 0.39mH Inductor or a 0.43mH instead? Would this effect sounds/performance? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
  • Jim Holtz
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Kkaminski
    Hello everyone!

I've started my first build and slowing gathering parts/building the cabinets. Since the Canadian dollar is absolute crap right now, I've been doing my best to keep my purchases in Canada. Now, the crossover for the NEOCD3 calls for a 18 AWG, 0.4mH inductor. Would it be possible to use a 18 AWG, 0.39mH Inductor or a 0.43mH instead? Would this effect sounds/performance? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    The .39 would be closest, well within normal tolerance and should work just fine.

Jim

Comment

• Kkaminski
      • Jan 2016

Thanks for the quick response Jim! What is the acceptable tolerance for inductors, in relation to the original design? +-10%?

Comment

• Jim Holtz
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Mar 2005

Thanks for the quick response Jim! What is the acceptable tolerance for inductors, in relation to the original design? +-10%?
        I believe 10% is considered normal tolerance. However, I find that unacceptable. I want to be under 5% and 2-3% is more to my liking. Honestly, I find resistors to have the greatest variation and often sort through several combinations to parallel and end up with the correct value. That's just my OCD kicking in. 8O I like as close to perfect as I can get.

BTW, .1 difference is perfectly acceptable so no sweat.

Jim

Comment

• JoeAngelicchio
          • Oct 2006

Hello everyone!

Where are you purchasing in Canada?
          I'm in the same boat. Cdn $$ in the dumpster now.

Comment

• Heli-Tim
            • Nov 2015

Me Three!

Comment

• Kkaminski
              • Jan 2016

Originally posted by Jim Holtz
              I believe 10% is considered normal tolerance. However, I find that unacceptable. I want to be under 5% and 2-3% is more to my liking. Honestly, I find resistors to have the greatest variation and often sort through several combinations to parallel and end up with the correct value. That's just my OCD kicking in. 8O I like as close to perfect as I can get.

BTW, .1 difference is perfectly acceptable so no sweat.

Jim
              Thanks again Jim, I'll keep this in mind. Trust me, I understand the OCD!

Originally posted by JoeAngelicchio
              Where are you purchasing in Canada?
              I'm in the same boat. Cdn $$ in the dumpster now.
              http://solen.ca/. Definitely check them out!

Comment

• Heli-Tim
                • Nov 2015

FYI:
                Just keep in mind that they only sell Air-Core Inductors... I was looking around their site for the sledgehammer inductor(or similar) and spoke with them directly. They do not carry, and don't source them.

Do you have a source for the iron core?

Comment

• Kkaminski
                  • Jan 2016

For the laminated cores, I'm going through Mark @http://meniscusaudio.com/700mh-15sl-p-734.html. He's answered a few questions for me and he's been great.

Comment

• Heli-Tim
                    • Nov 2015

Thanks so much Kkaminski!

Comment

• Heli-Tim
                      • Nov 2015

Kkaminski: Before I forget...

Are you using the recommend capacitor values in the BOM? Some of the Solen Canada capacitors are just outside of the tolerances given. I was looking to buy smaller sizes and combine to get the correct values. I'm just curious what other people like yourself decided to do.

Thanks,
                      Tim

Comment

• Kkaminski
                        • Jan 2016

Hey Tim,

Solen has all the recommend capacitor sizes. Now in terms of the their in house brand of poly caps, the only size they don't have if the 60mfd. For that I just chose the Dayton audio available of Solen. I'll be posting my build thread tomorrow with a copy of my BOM, which might help other Canadian buyers as well.

Comment

• Heli-Tim
                          • Nov 2015

... I'll be posting my build thread tomorrow with a copy of my BOM, which might help other Canadian buyers as well.
                          Thank you! I seen the 62uF, and even emailed them about it. They never mentioned the Dayton caps, and I must have overlooked them, because I didn't see them either! my cart has been 99% full, and on "hold" for a while now. just waiting to sort out a few parts .

Comment

• Heli-Tim
                            • Nov 2015

Hi Kkaminski, Just wondering if you did anything with the BOM after? I have been looking around, and from what I see it still looks very close in price to shop at meniscus vs Solen. for just the components alone(excluding wires, terminals, connectors, etc is $1530.00) and this also doesn't include the steel core inductor. I guess also depends on the cost of customs...

UPDATE:
                            The entire Statement II package with customs(8% duty-assuming this is class 5 import)/shipping/ GST(13%) would come to $1950.00 to the door from meniscus

I just got cleaned out with the exchange rate on parts for the amplifier I'm building, I need to save money somewhere or the wife will kill me!! Im currently over budget on the amplifier by approx. 50% lol.

2nd update: using my recent Amp build purchases...with the extra hidden fees UPS tacked on to my amp for "paperwork", It looks like you can add at least 250-400 bucks to that $1950.00. Buying in Canada is significantly cheaper!
                            Last edited by Heli-Tim; 25 January 2016, 16:58 Monday.

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"