X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jus24112
    • Aug 2011

Statements build HELP

Hey guys long time read I finally decided to build the statements and I have most of them assembled. I had a major brain fart and glued in the bottom brace like 2 inches lower than it needs to be! Will this effect the sound as it is just a brace and the internal volume is the same or should I try and chisel this thing out lol?

Any help would be fantastic
    Attached Files
  • Jim Holtz
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

Welcome to the Statements family!

The cabinets look great and the brace is just fine. Don't worry about it.

Jim

Comment

• Heli-Tim
      • Nov 2015

Good luck along the way! I look forward to the progress updates!

Comment

• jus24112
        • Aug 2011

Awesome thanks for the replys.. I'll post some updates soon. I'll be ordering the drivers tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• jus24112
          • Aug 2011

Now I see that the plans don't call for the extra material to be taking off the mid tunnels for the tweeter clearance, but I do see some with and some with out? Any suggestions as mine are at this stage.

Comment

• jus24112
            • Aug 2011

I also ordered the drivers this morning!!! Super stoked can't wait.

Comment

• Jim Holtz
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Mar 2005

Originally posted by jus24112
              Now I see that the plans don't call for the extra material to be taking off the mid tunnels for the tweeter clearance, but I do see some with and some with out? Any suggestions as mine are at this stage.

I used a rasp and took about a 3/16"T x 3"W x 2"D off the top and bottom of the lower and upper mid tunnels. That's just a ball park figure but should give you plenty of room to install the ribbon.

HTH

Jim

Comment

• jus24112
                • Aug 2011

Well it was a long day of building as I decided to build two new home theater subs. Only thing left is to cut out the baffles and solder the cross overs together. Kinda nervous about the crossovers as its my first stab at doing it. Welcome to any suggestions 😀!

Comment

• Heli-Tim
                  • Nov 2015

Holy home theater batman 8O

Comment

• Steve Manning
                    • Dec 2006

Wow, some nice progress going on there :T
                    Hold on to your butts - It's about to get Musical!

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Mar 2005

Looks great! However, be careful about blocking the reflected backwave from the Statements by the subs and the screen. The subs are huge!

Jim

Comment

• jus24112
                        • Aug 2011

Thanks for the comments guys but, I think I have confused my self even more and probably should of let meniscus assembly the crossovers but I wanted to try. So I am trying a dry set up as the instructions said to do and the speakers are SUPER quiet I know something is wrong but I'm not sure what. Here is a picture of the the boards so far any help would be much appreciated sorry I'm some what new to crossovers.. Or where to hook up the drivers?

Comment

• knowledgebass
                          • May 2013

Thanks for the comments guys but, I think I have confused my self even more and probably should of let meniscus assembly the crossovers but I wanted to try. So I am trying a dry set up as the instructions said to do and the speakers are SUPER quiet I know something is wrong but I'm not sure what. Here is a picture of the the boards so far any help would be much appreciated sorry I'm some what new to crossovers.. Or where to hook up the drivers?
                          If the drivers are out of the box then you can expect them to be lacking bass and probably the lower mids. Try playing something and putting your ear closer to the driver. Can you hear the highs ok?

Comment

• jus24112
                            • Aug 2011

They are out of the box but it's like I have to hold the tweeter up to my ear to hear anything when I could just plug it in to my other speakers and hear it across the room. So to recap it is quiet with the woofers as well as the tweeter.

Comment

• sdl2112
                              • Mar 2006

I'm not that familiar with the Statements but here's a couple comments/questions.

The sound difference between having the x-over in place and connected direct can be significant. Especially for a metal woofer where the cone breakup is primarily what you would hear with the speaker out of the box connected directly. With it in place it would be much quieter.

It's not a good idea to connect the tweeter directly, especially a ribbon tweeter...you could cause damage.

I don't know if there are different versions of statement x-overs out there but some of the component values I see don't match those on Jim/Curt's website.

Have you populated the other channel...if not could you post pics of the unpopulated boards.

The woofer components look correct so if the output from amplifier is the green and black wire, the woofers should be connected from black wire (common) to the speaker neg terminal and the other connection between the inductor and capacitor to the woofer pos terminals.

I know at this point of the build it can be frustrating but I'm sure Statement guys will chime in soon.

Comment

• Heli-Tim
                                • Nov 2015

I don't have diagrams at the moment, but your mid cross over appears to have a 68 uF cap on it. I believe it should be 100 uF. I need to revisit revisit diagrams to help out more. I will try to figure out what your set up is, and tomorrow morning if I have access to a computer I can try to help if you are still stuck.

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                  • Mar 2005

Hi Guys,

Justin is building the original Statements and matching center. We've been emailing and he's working on it. The 68 uF cap is correct.

Jim

Comment

• Heli-Tim
                                    • Nov 2015

OK, perfect. Look forward to more updates

Comment

• jus24112
                                      • Aug 2011

Ok hopefully tonight I can go back over what Jim has gracefully has sent me I think I'm going to start from scratch and De-Solder everything and start using Curts diagrams as I think they are easier to read than the Meniscus ones. I will keep you guys updated with Pics later tonight and thanks again for all the contribution and help with my build super stoked to get these up and running and hear them!!!

Comment

• Heli-Tim
                                        • Nov 2015

I'm stoked for you too! Lol.I have to live vicariously through other people's builds until I start my own .

Comment

• jus24112
                                          • Aug 2011

So is it ok to have lets say 3 wires connected to the binding posts as in one from each board positive and negative or do I need a common wire to goto that then the boards

Comment

• jus24112
                                            • Aug 2011

And also is it ok to branch off another wire like this to goto the woofers in parallel as seen in my woofer board? Hopefully this is ok seen below

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                                              Ultra Senior Member
                                              • Mar 2005

And also is it ok to branch off another wire like this to goto the woofers in parallel as seen in my woofer board? Hopefully this is ok seen below

Yes that is fine. BTW, the woofer circuit looks good.

Jim

Comment

• jus24112
                                                • Aug 2011

I think once I get down the first set of boards I'll be fine lol here is the tweeter hope it looks ok

Comment

• jus24112
                                                  • Aug 2011

Ok last board for the center only thing I'm confused is the the returning positive from the woofer as the negative goes between the 1ohm and the 8ohm and the the positive from the mid should get soldered here in the picture?

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                                    • Mar 2005

Ok, here's what I see.

On top of the image, you have green, black and yellow wires;

Green wire: connect this to the positive binding post
                                                    black wire: Connect this to the negative binding post.
                                                    Yellow wire: Connect this to the positive terminal on the mid and finish soldering it to the connection of the resistor and black wire it's laying on.

Left side of board;

Black wire: Connect this to the negative terminal on the mid.

All done! :T It should work great now.

The ribbon circuit is perfect.

Get it assembled to you can hear what the center is supposed to sound like. Make sure you have the foam and port installed before listening. It won't sound right if you don't have it completely assembled.

Jim

Comment

• jus24112
                                                      • Aug 2011

Thanks a ton Jim this has been a learning experience I got the center up and running it sounds amazing and now working on the statements. Here is some updates and also hopefully I did the boards right
                                                      I also ran out of wedge foam on the bottom woofer hope this will do ok?

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                                        • Mar 2005

OK, from what I can see, the crossover looks good. The very bottom compartment of the cabinet doesn't need to have foam so you should be good to go.

Jim

Comment

• TEK
                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                          • Oct 2002

Hi

I'm a novice here and I'm sure everything is correct, but there is something I don't guite get.
                                                          I'm used to seeing crossovers where each crossover section (tweeter, mid, woofer) has two inputs (positive and negative from the speaker terminal) and two outputs (positive and negative to the speaker element).
                                                          In this picture I only see 3 connection points (4 wires but just 3 connection points).
                                                          Why is that?
                                                          -TEK

Many of the great achievements of the world were accomplished by tired and discouraged men who kept on working...

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                                                            Ultra Senior Member
                                                            • Mar 2005

Hi Tek,

The two wires attached to the cap are the negative leads to the woofers and the negative binding post.

Jim

Comment

Working...
                                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                            Search Result for "|||"