X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cheebs
    • Dec 2015

What MTM for my first build?

Hey Peoples

I am looking for a mtm to build for my real first build. i am building it for my studio. I don't need monitors i just want some thing loud fun for play back. at first i have a bunch of high end drivers that i wanted to use. I wanted to do a 8inch mtm. but as i am reading more i have found that they say it is best to start with a build that is already worked out. So with that said i am looking for which of the larger (driver size) mtm builds i should do. I would like to know which mtm builds have the lowest bass response and is the loudest. The other thing i am wondering is why are almost all of the MTM builds over 6.5 seem to use the rs 180? I have not found any that did not use the rs180 except ones that used PA drivers. My budget is about $350 for drivers.
  • oneplustwo
    • Jan 2010

Any particular reason you want an MTM build? MTM's have a few issues that may not outweigh the positives of a TM build. You mentioned you wanted loud and power handling is indeed one of the benefits, but there are plenty of TM builds that will go very loud and as a first build, would be simpler. And also, the money you save on an extra driver can be used on a higher quality crossover or design in general.

In any case, I would say to look at the completed speaker designs sticky thread for a good start at both TM and MTM options. Zaph Audio is also a great resource for proven designs. If you have a budget for crossovers in addition to drivers, that would help as that's a big driver in cost many times. I've built a number of designs (see signature) so let me know if you have any questions on those. (I also built a Zaph audio ZA5 center channel MTM for a friend.

As for why the RS180... it's a fantastic driver regardless of cost and considering the price, is an even better value.

Hope that helps!
    Zaph SR-71
    Zaph ZDT 3.5
    Sunflower Redux
    12" Dayton HF sub
    CJD RS 150 MT
    Revelator bookshelf
    2x12 Guitar cab
    Corner loaded line array

Comment

• cheebs
      • Dec 2015

Originally posted by oneplustwo
      Any particular reason you want an MTM build? MTM's have a few issues that may not outweigh the positives of a TM build. You mentioned you wanted loud and power handling is indeed one of the benefits, but there are plenty of TM builds that will go very loud and as a first build, would be simpler. And also, the money you save on an extra driver can be used on a higher quality crossover or design in general.

In any case, I would say to look at the completed speaker designs sticky thread for a good start at both TM and MTM options. Zaph Audio is also a great resource for proven designs. If you have a budget for crossovers in addition to drivers, that would help as that's a big driver in cost many times. I've built a number of designs (see signature) so let me know if you have any questions on those. (I also built a Zaph audio ZA5 center channel MTM for a friend.

As for why the RS180... it's a fantastic driver regardless of cost and considering the price, is an even better value.

Hope that helps!
      I want to do a mtm because i love the look. I am in love with the focal twin6 but i will not be able to afford those.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	twin6-be.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	860417
      I already have two TM sets as mixing monitors.
      If i were to build a TM i already know what i would build and i already have the drivers i could use. i have quite a few high end drivers that i have tried in my truck over the years. no. they are not car speakers but home drivers. I figured i ask about which builds of the proven designs had the best bass response and output because in the designs sticky i could not find that info. I know i can not match the sound of the focals and that is not my intent.
      My original idea was to build a MTM with ether the silver flute 8s or the hivi d8.8 i have. i want to build a 8inch MTM bad. I do understand now that it is best to start with a proven build.

Comment

• dar47
        • Nov 2008

That is orientated like a center channel and if your laying them like that you could do 2 center's with 8" RS225's. Check these out 3 different designs with different tweeter options, will do low 30 hrz at 100db with greater mid impact. I built Dennis M's version with the Seas metal tweet. I got great chest registry at 18' away seating position.

http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthr...amp-TMWW-Mains.

If your wanting a stand up MTM consider the NatP, RS180 with response down to low 30 hrz into the 90db before tweeter breakup.

Comment

• cheebs
          • Dec 2015

Originally posted by dar47
          That is orientated like a center channel and if your laying them like that you could do 2 center's with 8" RS225's. Check these out 3 different designs with different tweeter options, will do low 30 hrz at 100db with greater mid impact. I built Dennis M's version with the Seas metal tweet. I got great chest registry at 18' away seating position.

http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthr...amp-TMWW-Mains.

If your wanting a stand up MTM consider the NatP, RS180 with response down to low 30 hrz into the 90db before tweeter breakup.

http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthr...3969-Natalie-P
          I would want the mtm to be laying down.
          Would anyone know what the volume of the center channel is?

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"