Drivers for stealth (ie small) woofer box.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sfdoddsy
    • Sep 2000

Drivers for stealth (ie small) woofer box.

As discussed in the Fundamentals thread, I'm exploring a system using the Seas C18 coax open baffle with a pair of boundary woofers up against a step, somewhat like the Lyngdorf DP1.

The test woofer boxes are a pair of Pinnacle Slimsubs I picked up from eBay for not much. These are slim passive sealed 'subs' with two 6.5" drivers of unknown provenance or quality (although Pinnacle has a decent rep), approximately 18 x 8 x 5.

Thanks to pretty brutal EQ I've forced them to go flattish to 40-50Hz, where they cross to a dedicated Velodyne servo sub. On top they need to be able cross at 300Hz or so, which they kind of manage. With a nudge or two.

I don't play this system loud, but fairly obviously even moderate levels are probably pushing the woofers to their limits and the C18s undoubtedly deserve better partners.

However, aesthetics require that I keep close to their current footprint. I could go a little higher (max 13") or a little deeper (max 8") but ideally not both. I was hoping the step had empty space behind it so I could consider infinite baffle, but it is brick.

So does anyone have any suggestions for a driver that will work in a very small box with enough xmax to be EQed down to a sub 80Hz crossover and enough range to be comfortable crossed at 300Hz.

Crossover and EQ will be active.

The Anarchy woofers came to mind.
    Attached Files
    Steve's OB Journey
  • DS-21
    • Jun 2005

Anarchies sound good to me for that. If you need something shallower and are willing to spend more, the Dayton Esoteric 180 might be good too.

Comment

• JonMarsh
      Mad Max Moderator
      • Aug 2000

It sort of just depends on what kind of output level you need. For small size and more throw, I'd go with the Anarchy's, too. I've got a few of them stashed away... :W
      the AudioWorx
      Natalie P
      M8ta
      Modula Neo DCC
      Modula MT XE
      Modula Xtreme
      Isiris
      Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
      Minerva Monitor
      Calliope
      Ardent D

In Development...
      Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
      Obi-Wan
      Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
      Modula PWB
      Calliope CC Supreme
      Natalie P Ultra
      Natalie P Supreme
      Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
      Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"