Couple questions about multiple subs in tower.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jws66m
    • Nov 2015

Couple questions about multiple subs in tower.

I'm new to this and have done a few simple woofer/tweeter builds and I'm ready to step it up with some serious towers. I'm sure the info i seek is out there i just can't find it.

My next build will be a TMMWW or maybe 3 woofers. Not sure yet. The question is do you isolate the subs from the rest of the box and if yes do you have separate enclosures for each sub? I would think the subs would interfere with the other speakers.

i see a lot of builds where it all one big enclosure with baffles and bracing. So do you just add up the volume required of each speaker and make the whole tower that size?

Hope all this makes sense.

Thanks
  • BobEllis
    Super Senior Member
    • Dec 2005

Yes, you need a separate enclosure for the midrange and woofers for the reason you suspected. Woofer back pressure would move the mid cone causing distortion.

You don't need separate spaces for each woofer. Most simulation programs allow you to model multiple woofers in a single enclosure. Remember to allow for the volume occupied by the mid enclosure and bracing when designing the total enclosure.

Have fun with your design and be sure to post a progress thread. There's lots of good advice here if you need it.

Comment

• Matt M
      • Jul 2014

Please tell us a bit more about your previous experiences, i.e. the "few simple woofer/tweeter builds" you mentioned, so we can get a better idea on what makes sense for you.
      -Matt

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"