X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Carl V
    • Apr 2005

Rockler has ya covered for your nexr speaker project

.rockler.com/diy-speaker-kit?sid=RTEMA15&utm_source=bronto&utm_medium=email &utm_campaign=RTEMA15&utm_source=bronto&utm_medium =email&utm_term=Image+-+Starting+at&SSAID=314743:P:
  • ---k---
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Nov 2005

We'll on one hand I think it is pretty cool that they are offering that. I'm sure it will bring some new faces to the club. But, I'm concerned about the crossover parts shown in the photo. Just a NPE cap, likely for the tweeter. Let's hope they just didn't photograph all the crossover parts.

But on the other side of things, a lot of people shopping at Rockler likely would appreciate a single cap crossover; both from a simplicity of building and listening. People building these aren't going to be the HiFi type and likely comparing them to low to mid-level gear from Best Buy and such. And, with the right tweeter and woofer, it can be done reasonable acceptable.

I wish they would just partner with PE, Madisound, Minscus or DIYsoundgroup.com to offer a real kit. Maybe even they could offer pre-built crossovers. Well, if these sell well, maybe they'll do a Premium kit.
    - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
    CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
    CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• ---k---
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Nov 2005

I was wrong. I read the instructions. Just the one cap. ... Sad. This is still likely a good thing, but they could have done something Great.
      - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
      CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
      CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• Bill Schneider
        • Sep 2007

Maybe competitor Woodcraft will respond with a better speaker kit offering. Or maybe not.

My own involvement in woodworking began with speaker building, and it has resulted in purchases of many expensive woodworking tools. The marketing guys at these companies are no dummies. They must realize that they could grow the customer base by offering a basic speaker kit.

Still, I wish that Rockler could have included a little better crossover than just a cap, or at least have supplied an upgrade option with the kit.
        My audio projects:
        https://www.afterness.com/audio

Comment

• kevinm
          • Jun 2013

Originally posted by Bill Schneider
          My own involvement in woodworking began with speaker building, and it has resulted in purchases of many expensive woodworking tools. The marketing guys at these companies are no dummies. They must realize that they could grow the customer base by offering a basic speaker kit.
          Got me into woodworking as well. Agreed with Ryan though, too bad they don't partner with someone else. Something like Bagby's Carritas are only $88 and I'd bet they are much better (sound great to my ears)

Comment

• Hank
            Super Senior Member
            • Jul 2002

You beat me to it, Carl. I've bought from Rockler over the years, but hate to see them offering those kits. I fear lots of woodworkers will buy them for the pride of having DIY'd their own speakers. That will be the decision factor, not SQ. Sadly, the personal investment will bias their judgement into believing they have high SQ. Therefore, I don't think they will seek better quality kits after they build their pride and joys (hope I'm wrong).

Comment

• dar47
              • Nov 2008

Sounds like Jon has bought a lot from them he should do a trade, a real crossover for all the tools and wood he needs for life.:B

Comment

• JonMarsh
                Mad Max Moderator
                • Aug 2000

Originally posted by dar47
                Sounds like Jon has bought a lot from them he should do a trade, a real crossover for all the tools and wood he needs for life.:B

:rofl:

This is a lot like the cheesy guitar kit they offered last year- I bought one just for the heck of it, to see what was in it- haven't had time to try to put it together. In that case, the quality may be higher than this effort.

I've bought tons of stuff from Rockler and Woodcraft; the local Woodcraft store has closed, but Rockler is still running up in Pleasant hill- hope they continue to!

Now, i really have to wonder about this- but if I had oodles of spare time on my hand, I'd buy this, measure it as built and then maybe do a real crossover for it, though try to keep the component count down. But, for now, I have a LOT of other fish to fry!
                the AudioWorx
                Natalie P
                M8ta
                Modula Neo DCC
                Modula MT XE
                Modula Xtreme
                Isiris
                Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                Minerva Monitor
                Calliope
                Ardent D

In Development...
                Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                Obi-Wan
                Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                Modula PWB
                Calliope CC Supreme
                Natalie P Ultra
                Natalie P Supreme
                Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• benchtester
                  • Sep 2007

Originally posted by JonMarsh
                  .... but Rockler is still running up in Pleasant hill- hope they continue to! !
                  It's not there anymore. Fortunately they moved to Treat and Clayton in Concord. Not freeway convenient, but at least it's available.

Comment

• JonMarsh
                    Mad Max Moderator
                    • Aug 2000

Yeah, I'm on their mailing list, and heard about their closing a weekend recently in order to start the move... that's got to be a lot of work!
                    the AudioWorx
                    Natalie P
                    M8ta
                    Modula Neo DCC
                    Modula MT XE
                    Modula Xtreme
                    Isiris
                    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                    Minerva Monitor
                    Calliope
                    Ardent D

In Development...
                    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                    Obi-Wan
                    Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                    Modula PWB
                    Calliope CC Supreme
                    Natalie P Ultra
                    Natalie P Supreme
                    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"