X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ---k---
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Nov 2005

New home for the In-Khans

New home for 2 of the 3 In-Khans. I thought I would share since this is something that comes up frequently. Putting speakers where it isn't advised to put them!

This isn't final-final. I plan to move them down 6" - 14", but need to wall mount the TV to the right first so the shelf can go down. I'm probably going to add a wall bracket and another shelf mid-height. Then I'm going to try and stuff books on either side, but I believe my wife has plans to stick photos etc. on those shelves. They also need repainted.

I got issues somewhere in the audio chain that I need to work out. My Vortexbox.com squeezebox server sits over in that corner. It is based on an Intel Atom board and only has what Intel calls a "line out/headphone jack". I connected this to an Audiosource Amp 100 that I bought on sale a long time ago but have never used. The audio seems to cut in and out randomly, like every 45 - 120 seconds. I can hear clicking in the amp when it cuts out. And the 60W at full power was filling the room with sound, but I was no where near needing ear plugs. So, I'm not sure if the amp is bad or there is a problem with the sound card.

I got an outlaw receiver somewhere that has USB in (and a bod volume control) that I probably should find and use for testing. Final solution is probably a reasonably priced Linux compatible USB DAC and a better amp. Maybe I'll build one...

But when it was making sound, it sounded pretty good. Still crisp and clear. It seems to have lost some of it's magical bass and maybe some of the midrange warmth. Could be the amp, or it could be the difference between being in-wall and on wall. Could be the big open floor plan room.
    Attached Files
    - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
    CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
    CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center
  • Michael Murray
    • Jul 2006

Looking good, but I'm biased . You used to have very large Speaker Baffles before and now they are definitely smaller and changed.

Comment

• mpotoka
      • Sep 2007

Originally posted by ---k---

I got issues somewhere in the audio chain that I need to work out. My Vortexbox.com squeezebox server sits over in that corner. It is based on an Intel Atom board and only has what Intel calls a "line out/headphone jack". I connected this to an Audiosource Amp 100 that I bought on sale a long time ago but have never used. The audio seems to cut in and out randomly, like every 45 - 120 seconds. I can hear clicking in the amp when it cuts out. And the 60W at full power was filling the room with sound, but I was no where near needing ear plugs. So, I'm not sure if the amp is bad or there is a problem with the sound card.
      Check which input you are using on the Amp 100, as well as what the switch on the back is set to. It should be set to normal, and use input 2 not input 1.

The auto on/off clicking has been bothering me on the Audiosource Amp-100, and I was wondering if I could easily fix it myself. The reviews will explain what I mean. My best guess is that it's controlled by a relay. If so, can I just bypass it? Again, if so, what is the best, safe way to...

Comment

• ---k---
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Nov 2005

Thanks for the heads up. Easy enough that I can probably try it tonight. I've been meaning to drag out a real receiver or something, but haven't gotten there.
        I got so many fish in the fryer and just no energy these days. .
        - Ryan

Comment

• ---k---
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Nov 2005

Listening at about 1/2 volume for the past 15 minutes and no issues with the amp. Appears that may have solved 1/2 the problem. Other half, is they are getting listening loud enough, but not show off loud enough. Might need more amp. We'll see. Would love to crank it a bit more, but I got a 12 mo old sleeping.

But seriously thanks for pointing out the problem.
          - Ryan

Comment

• cjd
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Dec 2004

You lose so much shelf space, you should just put those on their side so they fit better.

Looks great. Sucks there are gremlins. Glad you're sorting them. Remember that output voltage is also often an issue (most commonly seen when people try to use the iPhone direct, it can't handle max volume.)

I think you could fit the Khans in there if you narrow up the entire shelving width. Go with a white grille to make them disappear. Nice looking place, what I see of it.

I need to get pics of my new digs too, but... between fixing the house and working on the car (I'm back racing this year) time is... forgetful of the little things. I still have to figure out how to get sheet goods home! I tore a fireplace out for the HT already with success (but it was a ventless gas, which are really just slow-death-by-asphyxiation so.... no loss. We'll ignore the remaining fireplace count.
            diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• ---k---
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Nov 2005

The Amp 100 just wasn't cutting it. Turning off the out-on and using input 2, got them to stop cutting in and out. But, the volume level just wasn't what it should be. As I said before, they got listening loud, but not show off loud. The room is also open to the kitchen, and they didn't get loud enough there. These speakers are capable of more.

So, I finally got around to hooking the In-Khans to a decent power source. Using an Outlaw RR2150 Stereo Receiver, hooked up using the USB input directly from the computer. It's rated at 100W @ 8ohm and 160W @ 4ohm. All power problems solved!

At 1/3 knob volume these are reaching the levels the Amp 100 was maxed out. It could have either been the fact that I wasn't using a pre-amp with the Amp100 and trying to feed it from a computer headphone jack, or it could have been just the lack of watts. Probably a little of both. Not sure I'm motivated enough to find out....

Now, I need to move some bookshelves around, get things more glued down, and see if I can get these more to in-wall nature. The sound good, but not magical like they did at the old house. .. yet...
              - Ryan

Comment

• JonMarsh
                Mad Max Moderator
                • Aug 2000

Well, that all sounds like progress- source gear is always a critical part of the solution, and sounds like you've made some good progress there. I hope you manage to figure out how to get the rest of the "magic" back...
                the AudioWorx
                Natalie P
                M8ta
                Modula Neo DCC
                Modula MT XE
                Modula Xtreme
                Isiris
                Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                Minerva Monitor
                Calliope
                Ardent D

In Development...
                Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                Obi-Wan
                Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                Modula PWB
                Calliope CC Supreme
                Natalie P Ultra
                Natalie P Supreme
                Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"