X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • soundemon
    • May 2009

Eminence Open baffle design help pls!

I found a nice deal on a "kit" of (stereo pair of each)
    - Eminence Alpha 15a (15" woofer)
    - Eminence beta 12 LTA (12" full range)
    - Philips ribbon super tweeter.

I did a little searching and found some really cool looking open baffle designs for these speakers. The fellow I bought them from assured me there were some plans with them, and crossover components. it turns out that the plans are just a wiring diagram; basically a coil in line with the woofer, and a cap in line with each of the full range and the tweeter.

I know very well that the design of the baffle has a huge effect on the FR of the drivers, and so also the crossover design. But I haven't been able to find any "full design" info ie: use these values with this baffle style / width etc.

I've built quite a number of speakers, but all are from pre-planned, established designs. I have no measurement equipment, (excluding a simple mic etc for REW and a rat-shack SPL meter) so don't really want to start trying to experiment and find my own values.

Anyone here have OB experience with these drivers?

TIA!!
    DIY - once you start down that (dark) path, forever will it dominate your destiny!
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

None on my side. What model of Philips tweeter is it? Usually, mating a ribbon tweeter directly to a 12" woofer can be problematical- - the minimum operating frequency of the ribbon tweeter being higher than what the 12 works to cleanly. And just series pass caps on the mid and tweeter driver is not a crossover, it's just a basic protection circuit so you don't blow them up...

The Eminence drivers are good parts for the right application, but I think you'd may need to start researching designs using those drivers, and maybe you'll come across something usable for them- but it might not be open baffle. And you are quite, quite right- the dimensions and shape of the mounting baffle is a critical aspect to the design of a dipole speaker- and the roll off from the open back usually requires some substantial compensation in the crossover circuit. It COULD be that the upper end response of these drivers is so well controlled and complementary that upper range roll off isn't necessary, but it COULD be that you could also make this open baffle design into a nice glider using lifting body effects. Neither are likely.

Perhaps you should try to get more information and links from the guy who sold you this stuff?

BTW, some info on the 12" Eminence Beta.

No dispersion plots here- a 12" drivere is going to be very directional above 1kHz.
    the AudioWorx
    Natalie P
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• soundemon
      • May 2009

Thanks for the reply Jon!

the 12 is actually the 12LTA, which is "full range" listing FR as 48Hz to 8kHz
      Eminence Speaker is America's premier manufacturer of guitar speakers, bass speakers, and professional audio loudspeakers since 1966.

As I understand, there are designs out there using just this driver without crossover. I guess the idea behind the wiring diagram was to just knock the highs away from the woofer and the lows away from the 12. (and even moreso the tweet)

I'll get the model number info off the Philips when I get home this evening.
      DIY - once you start down that (dark) path, forever will it dominate your destiny!

Comment

• Face
        • Mar 2007

The Eminence Alpha 15a is the "go to" for a budget orientated open baffle woofer. https://www.google.com/search?q=Emin...5a+open+baffle

Either follow the schematic you received or build something else as I doubt you'll find plans for another speaker that uses the same exact drivers.
        SEOS 12/AE TD10M Front Stage in Progress

Comment

• soundemon
          • May 2009

OK the tweets are Philips AD 21600 RT8

I'm seeing a pair on Ebay for more than I paid for the entire kit so that's pretty nice.

I'm thinking something real simple like this:

and add the ribbon. I'll wire it up the way its been suggested, and go from there...

Comment

• JonMarsh
            Mad Max Moderator
            • Aug 2000

Hopefully it will put you in the ball park... there's no substitute for measurements and knowing for sure just what is going on. The Philips were used as super tweeters by some VMPS models, so that notion of an 8 kHz crossover is likely in order- what were the cap values in in the instructions you were given? The Beta might be a good target for a column PA speaker- certainly an adequate range for voice. Lots of squiggles in that impedance curve, though! :W
            the AudioWorx
            Natalie P
            M8ta
            Modula Neo DCC
            Modula MT XE
            Modula Xtreme
            Isiris
            Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
            Minerva Monitor
            Calliope
            Ardent D

In Development...
            Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
            Obi-Wan
            Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
            Modula PWB
            Calliope CC Supreme
            Natalie P Ultra
            Natalie P Supreme
            Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
            Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• soundemon
              • May 2009

It shows a 22uF cap in line with the tweeter, 220uF in line with the beta, (the beta is shown wired in reverse polarity to the woofer and tweeter) and a 14mH coil in line with the woofer

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"