This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • viki_v2
    • Jun 2012

I meant to ask , How do we implement filters via active crossover. can it be connected to pc to introduce filters after importing measured responses as in passive crossovers. Active crossover is completely new territory for me.

Comment

• BobEllis
      Super Senior Member
      • Dec 2005

That depends on the active crossover chosen. The CX2310 is pretty much a set the frequency and you get an LR4 electrical XO at that frequency. For not much more money, the MiniDSP offers the ability to do a variety of filter types depending on the plug in chosen. For example, you can get a balance in/out stereo 2 way or mono up to 4 way out of http://www.minidsp.com/products/mini...p-balanced-2x4

Comment

• fjhuerta
        Super Senior Member
        • Jun 2006

Definitely get the MiniDSP. You connect it to your PC and then configure EQ for the entire speaker, crossovers for each pair (4 total) and parametric EQ for each speaker, plus delays, polarity, and level. It's so simple it may take you 1 hour, tops, to get your speakers properly configured. If using a passive solution, this would take you days, weeks or months... if it works at all. I'm still not convinced a full range line array can work with passive elements.
        Javier Huerta

Comment

• viki_v2
          • Jun 2012

Originally posted by fjhuerta
          You connect it to your PC and then configure EQ for the entire speaker, crossovers for each pair (4 total) and parametric EQ for each speaker, plus delays, polarity, and level. .
          Did not understand this.

Comment

• kevinm
            • Jun 2013

Originally posted by viki_v2
            Did not understand this.
            The MInidsp can connect to your PC and use an interface to set all of your settings (as listed above). He's just saying it is very flexible with lots of powerful tools. I use one in my system and high recommend them. Very nice for the price.

miniDSP is a leading manufacturer of Digital Audio Signal Processors for the HomeTheater, Hifi, headphone and Automotive market. Join our large community of Audiophiles, Engineers and DIYers using our innovative products.

Comment

• viki_v2
              • Jun 2012

Originally posted by kevinm
              The MInidsp can connect to your PC and use an interface to set all of your settings (as listed above). He's just saying it is very flexible with lots of powerful tools. I use one in my system and high recommend them. Very nice for the price.

www.minidsp.com
              I meant are you saying mini dsp for each pair of 4 drivers.

Comment

• JonMarsh
                Mad Max Moderator
                • Aug 2000

I think maybe Viki wasn't getting the technical stuff, about delays, polarity, EQ, etc.

The miniDSP units remind me of the saying from the Spiderman movies, "With great power comes great responsibility."

This is why I was suggesting the Behringer- it's easy to setup, just straightforward front panel controls, does a solid LR4 crossover function, and has the option for add on LF reinforcement with the subwoofer output. Best $80 I ever spent for fooling around or straightforward tests.

For his application, and wanting some limiters functions and other things that require knowledge to implement correctly in a sound system, I'd go with the DCX2596 -

Click image for larger version

Name:	5178bAwbX%2BL._SL1000_.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	947754

Name:	B000NJ3YI8-1.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	947755

And of course one can set it up fairly easy with it's Windows based software.

I'm more familiar with the AKM DAC's used in it, and it does have analog as well as digital inputs. And a nice rack case.

But both this and the minDSP have a learning curve- part is learning how the particular unit works, but another large part is understanding the acoustical issues and control issues to implement for a playback system, especially for one that is planned for live sound. That's rather different than working with a canned source like CD's.

Another unit that would be very useful for this sort of application is the Behringer ULTRACURVE PRO DEQ2496.

Name:	51VovYMlRNL._SL1000_.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	947756

The problem is, as inexpensive as these Behringer units are, they don't fit within his budget. No active crossover multi-amplifier concept fits his budget.
                Last edited by theSven; 12 August 2023, 22:37 Saturday. Reason: Update image location
                the AudioWorx
                Natalie P
                M8ta
                Modula Neo DCC
                Modula MT XE
                Modula Xtreme
                Isiris
                Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                Minerva Monitor
                Calliope
                Ardent D

In Development...
                Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                Obi-Wan
                Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                Modula PWB
                Calliope CC Supreme
                Natalie P Ultra
                Natalie P Supreme
                Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• viki_v2
                  • Jun 2012

Click image for larger versionName:	6_inch_array.jpgViews:	1Size:	29.8 KBID:	859556

Originally posted by JonMarsh
                  I think maybe Viki wasn't getting the technical stuff, about delays, polarity, EQ, etc.

The miniDSP units remind me of the saying from the Spiderman movies, "With great power comes great responsibility."

This is why I was suggesting the Behringer- it's easy to setup, just straightforward front panel controls, does a solid LR4 crossover function, and has the option for add on LF reinforcement with the subwoofer output. Best $80 I ever spent for fooling around or straightforward tests.

For his application, and wanting some limiters functions and other things that require knowledge to implement correctly in a sound system, I'd go with the DCX2596 -

Click image for larger version  Name:	5178bAwbX%2BL._SL1000_.jpg Views:	0 Size:	69.8 KB ID:	947754

Click image for larger version  Name:	B000NJ3YI8-1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	34.6 KB ID:	947755

And of course one can set it up fairly easy with it's Windows based software.

I'm more familiar with the AKM DAC's used in it, and it does have analog as well as digital inputs. And a nice rack case.

But both this and the minDSP have a learning curve- part is learning how the particular unit works, but another large part is understanding the acoustical issues and control issues to implement for a playback system, especially for one that is planned for live sound. That's rather different than working with a canned source like CD's.

Another unit that would be very useful for this sort of application is the Behringer ULTRACURVE PRO DEQ2496.

Click image for larger version  Name:	51VovYMlRNL._SL1000_.jpg Views:	0 Size:	60.5 KB ID:	947756

The problem is, as inexpensive as these Behringer units are, they don't fit within his budget. No active crossover multi-amplifier concept fits his budget.

As active crossovers is completely new field for me, I agree i an a total noob here. I have been lurking over Mini Dsp products for the whole day, also read the documentation. If it was a regular Home hifi use, I can do it with some experimentation and giving some time to learn all the plugins.

But as I am trying to implement this in a line array for a large hall, there are few place which I have not yet understood. which are how to get even response through out the room without losing spl. there is going to be loss of spl as distance increases. How to do power distribution.

Some where I read about curved line arrays hanging on wall , which has 3 arrays and each array has 4 drivers pointed at particular direction. each array of 4 drivers is driven by individual amp thereby providing even spl through out the room. Some where similar to image I have attached.

If I had enough funds I would have done as mentioned by you and others , But problem here is limited budget.
                  Last edited by theSven; 12 August 2023, 22:39 Saturday. Reason: Update quote

Comment

• Rick Craig
                    • Jul 2006

Originally posted by CraigJ
                    No offense Rick, but Viki has a limited budget: "So cost is a big factor here 800 to 1000 Usd at the most".........
                    Ah - thanks for pointing that out to me.

Comment

• Rick Craig
                      • Jul 2006

You can do a passive crossover for a CBT array as long as you have some equalization available.

Comment

• viki_v2
                        • Jun 2012

Originally posted by Rick Craig
                        You can do a passive crossover for a CBT array as long as you have some equalization available.
                        I can get equalization.

Comment

• viki_v2
                          • Jun 2012

Drivers have been decided.
                          They will be rs 225 crossed with RD50 and the Fountek tweeters.
                          I hope jon is still donating RD50 and the Fountek tweeters.

At first it will be a passive system, as ahuja amp is capable of 450 watts rms @ 4ohms.
                          In some time will make it an active system with Minidsp.

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"