X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BCM191
    • Dec 2014

New Design with the RS180 PAPER Driver

I have been playing with electronics for years and just recently started to try my hand at building speakers. I have been reading everything I can find on cross over/cabinet design. I have all the time I need as I no longer tied to work do to a Liver Transplant, successful so far.
    I Have all the wood working tools I need and have been a Heavy Equipment Tech on Caterpillar Equipment for the last 35 years so I have a very good back ground with computer's electronics and can build anything given the time and money.
    I have built several mini speakers for my PC and have been messing around with a few other speakers I have picked up. I love and really enjoy GOOD sound, theirs NOTHING like listening to a good set of speakers SO hence my mission. I don't have the funds to go out and fork over $5,000=$$10'000 for a set, but I can afford to spend time and a reasonable amount to build a conferable pair.
    One of the drivers is the RS180 PAPER 7"https://www.parts-express.com/dayton...8-ohm--295-365. I spent most of the week end looking and searching the web for proven designs or ANYTHING on this driver. I have basically come up with nothing! They have been out for about a year now and still NO info. Am I missing something? I have a set of the RS150 Aluminum speakers and they sound good! and there's lot's of info and the same with the aluminum RS180's just not the RS180 P 7".
    I would really like the to start a build using the RS180P 7" and use them as a learning curve (TOOL)
    I am just a beginner when it comes to designing cross overs, But I understand the mission and giving some guidance and doing it hand's on has all ways been the best way to learn for me, I can read and read some more but I get no where unless I implement, make mistakes,successes and then learn from them.
    ANY direction or info, ANYTHING, on the RS180Paper's would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!
  • BobEllis
    Super Senior Member
    • Dec 2005

Welcome to the hobby/obsession. Is there a particular reason that you are focused on that driver? Its FR looks a bit easier to use than the metal ones, although I haven't looked for anything about distortion performance. You might try adapting one of the designs for the RS180. Load the frequency response and impedance data (.frd and .zma files) into a crossover simulator along with an existing crossover, then tweak as needed. Better yet would be to build a test enclosure, measure the woofer and tweeter in it and use that data. If you don't have a calibrated microphone and preamp if needed, include that in your budget.

Post your measurements and simulations and you will find helpful advice here.

Novice designers tend to focus on on-axis frequency response. While important, there are other considerations as well. Driver phase match is very important, as is off axis response. Off axis response uniformity (or at least without major discontinuities) is one of the things that drives me to three ways. Not the best place to cut your teeth as a crossover designer goes, I just mention it for future project(s).

Most of all, have fun.

Suggested reading:

http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthr...ou-Should-Read!

Comment

• BCM191
      • Dec 2014

Thanks for replying.. I just happened to have a set of the paper 180's (payed for) AND I noticed that there is NO info anywhere compared to all the rest of the RS line.
      I didn't pick this driver to start with, I just was looking to see what others have come up with in cross overs and implementation. I have them in a small .25 2way now for the work shop but was thinking of doing something else as WINTER is here!
      There's just SOOO much info on the aluminum drivers and 1,000s of projects and nothing on this one? I have an opinion why, BUT....
      That page you referenced is just what I need all so, THANKS!

Comment

• JonMarsh
        Mad Max Moderator
        • Aug 2000

OK- here's the deal- the paper version should be easier to work with- you don't need the HF trap filter to deal with the upper break up modes.

One place you could start is an existing RS180 design, like the Modula MT or something similar, and you'll find you can have a first start using the same crossover concepts but removing the trap filter and adjusting the roll off rate.

The thing is, other than removing the trap filter and being easier to design with, it probably doesn't have a big intrinsic advantage over the RS180A. And that part has been around a long time-

Do you have measurement capabilities? There are FRD and ZMA files in the data folder online, but I don't know if they're representative of particular enclosure design or are IB- infinite baffle. the latter are useful for understanding the driver characteristics but NOT for a system design, as they don't include the baffle step behavior of the chosen enclosure design, which is dependent on the baffle width as a first order effect.

I'll try to find time to import the FRD files and ZMA and see what they look like. If they are IB style, it would be possible to do a flush mount speaker design with it, but not for a standalone box. That will require measurement, or guesstimateing from an RS180 design.
        the AudioWorx
        Natalie P
        M8ta
        Modula Neo DCC
        Modula MT XE
        Modula Xtreme
        Isiris
        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
        Minerva Monitor
        Calliope
        Ardent D

In Development...
        Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
        Obi-Wan
        Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
        Modula PWB
        Calliope CC Supreme
        Natalie P Ultra
        Natalie P Supreme
        Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
        Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• ---k---
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Nov 2005

Here is a TM design in progress with the RS180P and RS2F.
          Want a second or third opinion about your speaker cabinet design or other audio related problem? Post your question or comment on the Technical Discussion Board. Hundreds of technicians, engineers, and hobbyists, nationwide read and discuss electronics related questions each week. We welcome your participation

I don't know much about the design or the designer. I had just seen the thread title and though I would point you there.
          The thread also mentions Curt Campbell having shown a design. You might want to reach out to him to see if it is publicly available.

Good luck.
          - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
          CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
          CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• Jim Holtz
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Mar 2005

Curt has a MTM RS180-P design that he demoed at the Iowa DIY last fall. It sounded really nice! I forget which tweeter he used with it. The new "P" drivers from Dayton are very nice and have a great midrange. Email Curt.

Jim

Comment

• BCM191
              • Dec 2014

Thanks Jim, That's the things I was looking for....

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"