X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Blaine
    • Jan 2007

CJD RS 3 way MTMWW? Or something else?

I may not pull the trigger for a while. Money and wife, ya know, FYI. And before I go any further I'd like to say that I have a lot of respect for the members of this forum. There's some brilliant, and helpful, people here.

I've been lurking on this forum (and others) for years. I've built a few speakers. My main music speakers are currently the Stentorians. When I first started reading about DIY, Brian Bunge's CJD RS 3 way MTMWW thread (http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthr...S-3-way-towers) was the first I followed. Also at (http://www.divine-audio.com/canaiolo/3). I've never heard them, and I know it's an older design, but I believe the speakers would still be considered excellent by anybody.

I keep thinking I want to build something extravagant (even though I'm a motorcycle mechanic and can't afford "extravagant"). I like the Stentorians for dynamic range, and honestly I still think the upgraded BR-1s sound lovely, but everything's always been a compromise. I know there are many designs with higher quality drivers than the Stentorians - the forums are flooded with beautiful MT and MTM bookshelf designs, then there's dipoles and whatnot.

I've gotten used to the Stentorians great dynamics, so I don't think I'm willing to scale down, even for better resolution. I'll undoubtedly build other smaller speakers in the future, ie. for the garage or whatever, but I want something "wow" for my main music system.

I've looked at the Statements and a hundred other designs. But I'm wondering if these babies are the best option. The crossover looks like something NASA would have trouble designing and affording, and the drivers alone wouldn't exactly be cheap, but sonofagun, they look as if have it all, good quality drivers, a well designed crossover (well, I don't design crossovers, so I'd be taking that on faith), and, one can only assume, based on size, great heaping buckets of dynamic range.

I'm a bit of a powerlifter, so I couldn't care less about the mass of the things, by the way.

I should also mention that dynamics aren't the only reason I want large speakers. Small speakers don't play all the music, not with sufficient volume, anyway, and I always seem to have issues getting my subs to blend with the mains properly. Drives me crazy. I don't want to listen to speakers and obviously very separate subs. I want to listen to music. I realize that a lot of my problem may be room modes, and I intend to address that, but it's really hard to pinpoint the problem when I have to turn on the TV and navigate through a bunch of crappy menus, choose the crossover point, and then go behind the sub to adjust phase and level. And then do it all again for the next CD. Farting around like that is interesting, but it ain't the same as getting lost in the music. Speakers like this might mean I can just turn the sub off and enjoy ALL the music without a sub.
    I wonder if these are my best option. Jim certainly raved about the Statements when he first built them. And many systems have been designed lately that I probably haven't seen yet. Any thoughts on project choice?
  • cjd
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Dec 2004

Well - give it time, and other options may show up too. I have some in the works, and of course there's stuff like the Ardent to consider.

I still listen to these a LOT. Love 'em. And have learned where I could have done things a little better... so next time. As long as you have enough amplifier behind them- (it's the low impedance handling that matters, though power doesn't hurt, and damping factor is quite important.
    diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

Working...
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"