X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Steve Manning
    • Dec 2006

Better MDF

Ran across this stuff today that some might find interesting ..... Valchromat. It's supposed to be the next generation of mdf, but stronger, safer to work with, comes in many colors, is easier on your tools and machines a lot better. Here's a link from one distributor that I found http://theworkbench.thruwayhardwood....e.aspx?id=3373. From what I can find it runs about 3 -4 times the cost of regular mdf.
    Hold on to your butts - It's about to get Musical!

• ---k---
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Nov 2005

Interesting. If it costs roughly the same as quality birch ply, I would be tempted to try.
    I'm curious about their resin. They say that it is moisture resistant, but that because it is wood any wood finish including stain can be used. I would believe the former, but struggle with the latter claim.
    - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
    CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
    CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• Winter
      • Nov 2007

See attached for specifications for the Valchromat MDF.

Stiffness (modulus of elasticity), given at 2500 N/mm squared, or 0.362 M psi is in the range of standard MDF.

Comment

• PMazz
        • May 2001

Hmm, this one states ~3100 MOE.

Birth of a Media Center

Comment

• Winter
          • Nov 2007

That interesting, two different specifications for modulus of elasticity.

2500 N/mm^2 / 0.362 M psi
          3100 N/mm^2 / 0.449 M psi

Both are in the range for standard MDF.

Comment

• Steve Manning
            • Dec 2006

As an FYI ....... I contacted Interlam for some price info and this is what I got ......

Yes, we can sell to customers and there are only a few different things I need to know to get you some pricing. First off, please know that we ship Freight Collect out of Mt. Airy, NC, and we charge $35 per skid to crate the panels for shipping (we can fit up to about forty ¾” sheets per). The panels are priced per their thickness, so please let us know which thickness you would prefer:

8mm - $1.89 sq/ft

12mm - $2.45 sq/ft

16mm - $3.08 sq/ft

19mm - $3.62 sq/ft

22mm - $4.13 sq/ft

25mm - $5.16 sq/ft

30mm - $5.70 sq/ft

Panels are 49”x98” oversized, so we use 33.63 sq/ft per sheet to price.

(Note: we are more likely to have 8mm and 19mm than any other thickness, as these two are more popular, so we stock them over the others)

Once I know that, I will only need to know which color you are interested in.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thank you,

Kevin Vaughn | Customer Service Representative
            Interlam Corporation

391 Hickory Street | Mount Airy, NC 27030
            (P) 336.786.6254 (F) 336.786.9460

Comment

• ---k---
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Nov 2005

My first reaction to the prices was "Ouch". But, if you don't have to do any finishing, I guess it isn't too bad. Probably won't make it to my projects. But, I'm sure there is a place for it in the world.
              - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
              CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
              CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• Steve Manning
                • Dec 2006

Originally posted by ---k---
                My first reaction to the prices was "Ouch". But, if you don't have to do any finishing, I guess it isn't too bad. Probably won't make it to my projects. But, I'm sure there is a place for it in the world.

I'm with you there K ...... I had run across a guy in the UK using it for his speakers, I believe Troels uses it as well, it appears to machine very well, so I figured I'd check into it. At 3 time the cost of mdf and more than BB it's a little rich for me as well. Figured I'd pass the info along anyway.

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"