X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • borderdad
    • Nov 2005

Extra 225 for Finalists?

Would adding a second woofer be problematic? I have 4 and would like to build a full range, music only speaker. I'm sure that the consensus would be that the bass is adequate as is but for sake of argument...would it work? would I need to tweak the xover a lot? Another 35 liters of cabinet would be needed I'm guessing which is perfect for me. Thanks for any input.
    Hola from El Paso!
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

Jim Holtz should really respond to this, but what you're heading in the direction of is a Statement II, using the same midrange, I believe. Different crossover, of course. trying to convert the Finalists into a 3.5 way may be possible, depending on driver sensitivity, and padding changes, but it's not trivial. Professional road course, do not attempt this at home, etc. :W
    the AudioWorx
    Natalie P
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• borderdad
      • Nov 2005

Guess that's all I needed to know. I'll go with the proven design and save my extra 225's for another day. Thanks!
      Hola from El Paso!

Comment

• Jonasz
        • Nov 2004

Connecting the 225's in series and alter the crossoverparts accordingly should work in theory... :P ...but maybe not in reality...

Would require something like this http://www.parts-express.com/erse-su...-coil--266-952

Comment

• borderdad
          • Nov 2005

Doubling the inductor should work? And no changes to the cap? I'm willing to try it!
          Hola from El Paso!

Comment

• Jonasz
            • Nov 2004

Or just build the original Finalists and use the extra 225's for these: http://www.audioheuristics.org/markk...-duet-file.pdf

The make a shoot-out with a lot of pics! :rofl:

Comment

• Jonasz
              • Nov 2004

Originally posted by borderdad
              Doubling the inductor should work? And no changes to the cap? I'm willing to try it!
              In theory, doubling the inductor and halving the cap should work. The spl stays the same. Passive crossoverdesign is not my thing but it is my understanding it will work. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will confirm.

Comment

• borderdad
                • Nov 2005

Those look nice. I should prob check out the center designs. Maybe I'll actually need the "extras" [emoji16]
                Hola from El Paso!

Comment

• knowledgebass
                  • May 2013

There is a center for the Finalists.

Comment

• 5th element
                    Supreme Being Moderator
                    • Sep 2009

Originally posted by Jonasz
                    In theory, doubling the inductor and halving the cap should work. The spl stays the same. Passive crossoverdesign is not my thing but it is my understanding it will work. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will confirm.
                    This is what I was going to say too. Paralleling the two drivers will keep the same voltage sensitivity but will double the load impedance. To get around this you would need to double the inductor values, double any resistor values and halve any capacitor values in the xover. In theory this should work, but do bear in mind that having a second RS225 below the first will alter how the driver sum a little and this will affect the integration at the xover point. Now the xover point is around 350hz, so the differences should only be very minor and if I were building this for myself I would be comfortable enough doing it.

One thing to keep in mind is that this will create a bass section with a nominal 16 ohm impedance. There is absolutely nothing wrong with this, but you will need an amplifier of considerable voltage swing in order to realise the additional SPL benefits of having two RS225s, rather than the single. Of course, if all you're after is the lower distortion that two drivers will net you, rather than more SPL output, then this doesn't really matter.
                    What you screamin' for, every five minutes there's a bomb or something. I'm leavin' Bzzzzzzz!
                    5th Element, otherwise known as Matt.
                    Now with website. www.5een.co.uk Still under construction.

Comment

• JonMarsh
                      Mad Max Moderator
                      • Aug 2000

Interesting approach. You've just gotta be able to swing some voltage to drive the higher impedance woofer setup. Of course, that's what increased power handling is all about.

Now, what if we built a Wavecor Ardent with 4 woofers per side? But it would require a 10 mH series inductor, too! i think then the mid and tweeter setup might become the limiting factor, though... it's fun to speculate.

I can see this idea for the Finalists possibly working pretty well- dual RS225's would definitely give it a leg up in output level and lower distortion.
                      the AudioWorx
                      Natalie P
                      M8ta
                      Modula Neo DCC
                      Modula MT XE
                      Modula Xtreme
                      Isiris
                      Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                      Minerva Monitor
                      Calliope
                      Ardent D

In Development...
                      Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                      Obi-Wan
                      Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                      Modula PWB
                      Calliope CC Supreme
                      Natalie P Ultra
                      Natalie P Supreme
                      Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                      Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• borderdad
                        • Nov 2005

Would 2 4 ohm drivers in series solve any of the higher voltage needs? or just create more problems? I'm probably going to cut two baffles and try with one 225 then with 2. Then I'll have to sit for hours and hours listening to music to figure out which one works for me. I'm practically a martyr!

Thanks for the input! My son has been dropping not so subtle hints about how my NatP's would help with his music recording so we'll see if they are finally de-throned. Gonna miss 'em if so. Come a long way since the DIII's!
                        Hola from El Paso!

Comment

• 5th element
                          Supreme Being Moderator
                          • Sep 2009

It would only create more problems. The reason why the two 8 ohms in series will work is because everything remains exactly the same. The voltage sensitivity remaining unchanged is key to this.
                          What you screamin' for, every five minutes there's a bomb or something. I'm leavin' Bzzzzzzz!
                          5th Element, otherwise known as Matt.
                          Now with website. www.5een.co.uk Still under construction.

Comment

• borderdad
                            • Nov 2005

Gotcha. Thx.
                            Hola from El Paso!

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"