X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lcolbur1
    • Nov 2010

Port Placement Question

Does the placement of a port matter? Ie, right behind/next to the drivers vs. lower/further away from the drivers?
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

Well, what actually matters the most is the location of the mouth of the port INSIDE the enclosure. Though the placement of the port externally can make a difference, too- for example, it's generally agreed that rear facing ports are not a bad thing, because they tend to minimize putting the midrange port resonance out front, while the impact on the bass from the port is quite minimal.

The internal location is important, because within the enclosure you kind of have two different regions- a high velocity, lower pressure area in the center of the enclosure, and a high pressure low velocity area on the walls. Running a port from one enclosure wall (where it exits) smack over to nearly the other enclosure wall will not get good coupling to the rear wave of the woofer. It will couple better if it's possible for the port entry to be somewhere nearer the center of the box. Naturally, this is tough to do for many enclosure shapes, and for many tunings. In those cases, it's may be a better idea to consider a PR configuration- which has it's own challenges, for sure...
    the AudioWorx
    Natalie P
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• lcolbur1
      • Nov 2010

Awesome, thanks. Second question, suppose I have a 6 inch long port and a cabinet with 3 inch walls. I want the port to be flush with the outside wall, which means that 3 inches of the port will be embedded in the wall and the other 3 inches will be in the actual volume of the cabinet. Is this the same as if I had 1 inch walls and 5 inches of the port was enclosed in the cabinet? Can both configurations achieve the same effect in terms of tuning frequency?

Comment

• ---k---
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Nov 2005

Yes. For the most part, the only thing that matters is the length inside the pipe.
        Your next question should be about port flares. Are you considering using a flare kit or round over on the port exit? Unibox will model the port flare and give you the correct length with the flare and show you the difference in port air speed.
        - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
        CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
        CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• lcolbur1
          • Nov 2010

I finished a design for Zaph's ZRT 2.0's. They'll be curved like my last 2 builds. I'm not incorporating a flared tube and using this site as a guide:

I'm starting the build in November and will be posting the process, so stay tuned. :T

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"