X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • grogamanda
    • Aug 2014

Help with designing a sonosub

Good afternoon all,

I am struggling manfully to work out how to build a sono sub properly.

I want to build a Bosso Raptor System 2 or 3

I have 2 drivers - matched :-

Impedance: 8ohms
    Power handling: 80W RMS
    Frequency range: 25Hz - 4kHz
    Sensitivity: 92db/W @ 1m
    Voice coil resistance (Re): 7.4ohms
    Resonant frequency (fs): 25Hz
    Mechanical Q (Qms): 5.262
    Electrical Q (Qes): 0.428
    Total Q (Qts): 0.396
    Equivalent volume (Vas):194l
    Cone area: 0.0506m2

I can build them but I am really struggling to accurately calculate the size of the tube needed and the gap needed between the two tubes as the speakers fire AT each other. I have tried sonosub calculator etc but its not designed for this application as such that I can make out.

I will be using one amp to power both drivers 200W RMS into 8ohm

Sonotube diameter is 450mm

Prefer Ported as this is for a Home theatre

Can anyone help? Please?

I want to get this built over the weekend so that I can run a Lord of the Rings marathon next week!!

Kind regards

Richard
    Last edited by ThomasW; 30 August 2014, 00:58 Saturday. Reason: Link to identical post on another forum removed by modewrator
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Dave's (aka Bosso's) subs are not ported they're sealed. They use custom designed and built drivers specific to his cabinet design and electronics

There are 2 drivers in each tube, they're run with a very sophisticated version of a Linkwitz Transform circuit and very high power.

A complete set of T/S parameters is required to properly design a sub.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• grogamanda
      • Aug 2014

Originally posted by ThomasW
      Dave's (aka Bosso's) subs are not ported they're sealed. They use custom designed and built drivers specific to his cabinet design and electronics

There are 2 drivers in each tube, they're run with a very sophisticated version of a Linkwitz Transform circuit and very high power.

It was more the similarity than the performance - I wont get that great performance out of these drivers but I love the look :-) as does the wife :-) which is a bonus.

Just needed some help on how to deliver such a thing based on those parameters.

Cheers

R

Comment

• grogamanda
        • Aug 2014

Originally posted by ThomasW

It was more the similarity than the performance - I wont get that great performance out of these drivers but I love the look :-) as does the wife :-) which is a bonus.

Just needed some help on how to deliver such a thing based on those parameters.

Cheers

R

Comment

• JonMarsh
          Mad Max Moderator
          • Aug 2000

You really need to have the driver Fs, and Cms or VAS to get somewhere on calculating the right enclosure volume. The Qts on these drivers is in a somewhat higher range, indicating their most suited to a sealed system. How big depends on the cone mass and suspension compliance. You could search on Madisound for 12" woofers/subwoofers with parameters matching somewhat to the specs you have, then use those characteristics to make a SWAG for the enclosure parameters. Sealed is far less critical for size- ported you really have to have the driver characteristics nailed down to get good results. Also, with just 200W on hand for both drivers, you won't want a small box that requires a Linkwitz transform and EQ to get the LF response- you don't have the power for it.
          the AudioWorx
          Natalie P
          M8ta
          Modula Neo DCC
          Modula MT XE
          Modula Xtreme
          Isiris
          Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
          Minerva Monitor
          Calliope
          Ardent D

In Development...
          Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
          Obi-Wan
          Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
          Modula PWB
          Calliope CC Supreme
          Natalie P Ultra
          Natalie P Supreme
          Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
          Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"