X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • speakerjunkie1
    • Jul 2014

My crossover

Here is my design. It is my understanding that the caps that are 10uF and 22uF and the 1.0mH inductor would be of most importance. If so I take it that is where I should focus most of my money? Please tell me if I am wrong. Click image for larger version

Name:	crossover.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	23.4 KB
ID:	871346
  • 5th element
    Supreme Being Moderator
    • Sep 2009

Yeah, those would be the ones to focus quality on as they are the series pass elements. Who designed the crossover and what loudspeaker is it for?
    What you screamin' for, every five minutes there's a bomb or something. I'm leavin' Bzzzzzzz!
    5th Element, otherwise known as Matt.
    Now with website. www.5een.co.uk Still under construction.

Comment

• Face
      • Mar 2007

Madisound Crossover?
      SEOS 12/AE TD10M Front Stage in Progress

Comment

• speakerjunkie1
        • Jul 2014

I was considering using a Goertz foil inductor on the 1.0mH and solen perfect lays on the rest debating on caps for the 10 and 22uF caps. Which caps do you all prefer for the parallel caps?

Comment

• Face
          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by speakerjunkie1
          Which caps do you all prefer for the parallel caps?
          Generally the same as what I use for my series caps.

I'm a big fan of Claritycap MR and ESA caps. Or when I'm on a tighter budget, Solen.
          SEOS 12/AE TD10M Front Stage in Progress

Comment

• speakerjunkie1
            • Jul 2014

I have been looking at ESA and Sonic Gen1

Comment

• JonMarsh
              Mad Max Moderator
              • Aug 2000

I'm pretty much with FACE, especially Clarity MR's for the tweeter caps in a high end system; though I've had good results with Jantzen Superior Z in the series positions and Jantzen Z-Standard for the other locales- maybe just a slight notch down in performance, but significant cost savings.

BUT, the appropriate choices and expenditures really due depend on the system design and drives, and the rest of your system- though since your system and source components may evolve into higher quality choices, building the speakers for the future makes sense. OTOH, matching a $50 cap with a $30 tweeter might not be the best use of coin...
              the AudioWorx
              Natalie P
              M8ta
              Modula Neo DCC
              Modula MT XE
              Modula Xtreme
              Isiris
              Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
              Minerva Monitor
              Calliope
              Ardent D

In Development...
              Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
              Obi-Wan
              Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
              Modula PWB
              Calliope CC Supreme
              Natalie P Ultra
              Natalie P Supreme
              Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
              Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• speakerjunkie1
                • Jul 2014

I'd love to use MR, they are a tad out of budget.

I am thinking about possibly using the Clarity PX caps for the 2.2 and 15uF caps on the mid and the ESA on tweeters.
                Last edited by speakerjunkie1; 14 August 2014, 15:12 Thursday.

Comment

• JonMarsh
                  Mad Max Moderator
                  • Aug 2000

Sounds like that could be a reasonable choice at a given price point- what tweeter are you using?
                  the AudioWorx
                  Natalie P
                  M8ta
                  Modula Neo DCC
                  Modula MT XE
                  Modula Xtreme
                  Isiris
                  Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                  Minerva Monitor
                  Calliope
                  Ardent D

In Development...
                  Obi-Wan
                  Modula PWB
                  Calliope CC Supreme
                  Natalie P Ultra
                  Natalie P Supreme
                  Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• speakerjunkie1
                    • Jul 2014

Scan D3004/6600, I can use ESA all across the board too, but I am open to any and all suggestions.

Comment

• 5th element
                      Supreme Being Moderator
                      • Sep 2009

I use bog standard polyprop caps everywhere unless the design really needs to be done on a budget, in which case I'll use good quality lytics in every shunt location and only use polyp's for series pass elements.

I prefer to use cored inductors for series pass elements, such as the 1mH here, to keep the DC resistance down.

Your mileage will vary considerably in this. I do not believe in the 'sound' of good quality and appropriately chosen/spec'd parts used in the right place, others do and pay for expensive boutique components.

I'd much rather go active and remove the crossover entirely and with some of the better performing system on chip designs that you can get nowadays you can do this a lot less expensively than buying a plethora of expensive crossover parts. I do realise one needs to be able to build these themselves for this to be applicable, but nevertheless, the point still stands.
                      What you screamin' for, every five minutes there's a bomb or something. I'm leavin' Bzzzzzzz!

Comment

• speakerjunkie1
                        • Jul 2014

Aslo, where it says .6mH is needed, all I can find is .62, that shouldnt be a big difference, correct?

Comment

• 5th element
                          Supreme Being Moderator
                          • Sep 2009

That is correct.

Comment

• ---k---
                            Ultra Senior Member
                            • Nov 2005

Still haven't heard the drivers or the designer, so I'll roll this out there. My personal opinion is that I respect a lot of people who like fancy caps, so I believe they have merit. But, I've never used drivers that merit fancy caps. I think the money is in most cases much better spent on better drivers. I probably wouldn't spend money on caps beyond basic poly's until the tweeter was over $100. Probably same with the mid or more. I personally wouldn't ever consider spending more on the crossover parts than the drivers.

My Khans were about 60% drivers / 40% crossovers when they were built with all basic poly caps. And this was one of CJD's fancy, high part count crossovers. A fancy caps on the tweeter would probably take it to 50/50, and could be easily justified. Beyond this, I think better rewards could be gained with better drivers.

Everything depends on the quality of the drivers, complicity of the crossover, etc... So, if you're using a RAAL tweeter (or something similar), I would say those are amazing and deserve a Clarity MR!
                            - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
                            CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
                            CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• JonMarsh
                              Mad Max Moderator
                              • Aug 2000

The relative worth of "fancy caps" also depends on the quality of your source components and electronics. To justify getting into the "fancy caps" area, I would recommend having something at least on the order of an NAD M51, as a DAC/Preamp, for example. If you're using typical HT components, I would say stay with standard Jantzen or base Clarity components.

My own recommendations would be if you're using tweeters in the range of the SS Be parts to Jantzen or Accuton diamonds to RAAL, then I could strongly recommend the Clarity MR. The 66000 is right on then cusp, as regards it's intrinsic neutrality and performance.

Very high quality loudspeaker kits, components, upgrades, modifications and custom solutions. Humble Homemade Hifi - the one stop loudspeaker shop.

Next tier down in tweeter caps is Jantzen Superior Z, which are fairly close behind Clarity MR in sonics and construction (and also use a highly constrained mechanical construction to minimize the capacitor physical resonance. That's what I initially used in the Isiris, and what I use in the Wavecor Ardent.

If you have a killer front end, then even with a 66000 or the SS Discovery 9130, then I'd go with the Jantzen. OTOH, if you're using typical HT component with the electronic volume controls and so-so DAC's, I wouldn't spend more than Clarity ESA or Jantzen Standard Z. Solen's sound a bit dull and grainy to me in the tweeter position, and I don't use them there anymore. YMMV of course, this may all be stuff imagined in my head, yes? But I have to live in my head, it's what's between my ears...

I haven't heard a DSP crossover solution I'd be happy with yet unless it was re-clocked with a Brainstorm DCD-8 or something similar, like a Mutec MC-3. Analog solutions tend to suffer a bit from cascaded noise, and you have to be careful selecting the opamp you chose for it's base sonics- you wouldn't believe how hard it was to find a decent sounding line preamp back in the 90s, so don't pooh-pooh the effort it takes to make a good sounding electronic crossover. (best sounding preamp I have heard lately is NO preamp- just a DAC with a rock solid high resolution low impedance output stage). It's a different set of challenges, including typically more problems with reliability due to all the parts and cables and amps required. Just saying... and that's the feedback from the semiofficial board curmudgeon. :W
                              the AudioWorx
                              Natalie P
                              M8ta
                              Modula Neo DCC
                              Modula MT XE
                              Modula Xtreme
                              Isiris
                              Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                              Minerva Monitor
                              Calliope
                              Ardent D

In Development...
                              Obi-Wan
                              Modula PWB
                              Calliope CC Supreme
                              Natalie P Ultra
                              Natalie P Supreme
                              Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• speakerjunkie1
                                • Jul 2014

The source and amp are both Mcintosh, were handed down at a very generous price from a relative who upgraded. Couldn't say no.

Madisound did the crossover.

Comment

• speakerjunkie1
                                  • Jul 2014

Can anyone tell me if I would be ok using the 8ohm version of this mid instead of the 4?

Comment

• 5th element
                                    Supreme Being Moderator
                                    • Sep 2009

Absolutely not.

Comment

• speakerjunkie1
                                      • Jul 2014

Didnt think so, my biggest concern is at rest my impedence is 3.5-3.6 ohms.

Comment

• 5th element
                                        Supreme Being Moderator
                                        • Sep 2009

That's pretty good for a 'nominal' 4 ohm impedance loudspeaker. Most amplifiers are okay with a load like unless unless there are crazy phase angles going along with it.

Comment

Working...
                                        Searching...Please wait.
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                        Search Result for "|||"