X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • downhiller2010
    • Jul 2014

CNC files for the Statements?

I'm looking at building a pair of Statement II's in the next few months (as an upgrade from Snell C II's) and have limited access to a shop with good woodworking tools. As an alternative I wanted to price out the cost of having all of the mdf cut by a local CNC shop. If anyone already had the files in a machine acceptable format that would be amazing! I can provide an email if need be.
  • BBLV
    • Dec 2007

Interested in this as well. Where are you located? I'm in Southern CA.

Comment

• downhiller2010
      • Jul 2014

Originally posted by BBLV
      Interested in this as well. Where are you located? I'm in Southern CA.
      I'm in Georgia so not much help there. Essentially we need the autocad pdf's of the cabinets back in a digital form. I'm a newbie with cad/sketchup and might be able to eventually get them put in, but I have a feeling it has already been done and we will only need to tweak the baffles slightly for the new mids.

Comment

• BBLV
        • Dec 2007

I was planning to create my own CAD drawings for CNC when the details on the cabinets are released. I'll definitely share them here when complete.

Comment

• Jim Holtz
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Mar 2005

Originally posted by BBLV
          I was planning to create my own CAD drawings for CNC when the details on the cabinets are released. I'll definitely share them here when complete.
          The Statements II use the same cabinet as the original Statements. The only difference is the cutout, recess etc. for the mids is slightly smaller to achieve a tight fit. Everything else remains the same.

Jim

Comment

• downhiller2010
            • Jul 2014

Originally posted by Jim Holtz
            The Statements II use the same cabinet as the original Statements. The only difference is the cutout, recess etc. for the mids is slightly smaller to achieve a tight fit. Everything else remains the same.

Jim
            Jim, are these available for download anywhere in a format other than pdf? Just trying to avoid payng the CNC shop a little more money for having to convert the cut sheet back to a digital format.

Also, have you ever heard any kevin voecks snell designs and how do you think they might compare to the statements?

Comment

• Jim Holtz
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Mar 2005

Originally posted by downhiller2010
              Jim, are these available for download anywhere in a format other than pdf? Just trying to avoid payng the CNC shop a little more money for having to convert the cut sheet back to a digital format.

Also, have you ever heard any kevin voecks snell designs and how do you think they might compare to the statements?
              Sorry, the only thing we have available are PDF's. It was created in autocad several years ago by a DIY acquaintance who is no longer active. I don't have the original files. The plans and a write up are available on Curts Speaker Design website.

I've not heard Snells in many years. I think you'll find that the Statements II will equal the premium commercial brands in most areas and easily exceed them in many others. They'll definitely be competitive with commercial speakers costing many $1000's of dollars more.

HTH

Jim

Comment

• bigjohn
                • Dec 2010

I have the .DXF files for the curved statements that I did, they could be modified for the regular version. Most CNC companies will still charge to take the .DXF files and put into there own programs for nesting and choosing cutters, ect.. Let me know if you want these.

Comment

• downhiller2010
                  • Jul 2014

Originally posted by bigjohn
                  I have the .DXF files for the curved statements that I did, they could be modified for the regular version. Most CNC companies will still charge to take the .DXF files and put into there own programs for nesting and choosing cutters, ect.. Let me know if you want these.
                  Sure, I'm halfway decent with learning software so that would definitely be a better start than scratch. downhiller2010@gmail.com

Comment

• benthe8track
                    • Feb 2008

Correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't you files be set up for a translam style where he would need a more conventional layout?

Comment

• bigjohn
                      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by benthe8track
                      Correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't you files be set up for a translam style where he would need a more conventional layout?
                      You're not wrong, as it currently stands, it can't be used for a conventional build, but that can be remedied by removing the curves. The basic skeleton that I sent him is the same as the conventional build, just with curved sides, if you remove the curves, fix the front and rear panel widths, you're back to the original.

Comment

• benthe8track
                        • Feb 2008

You're not wrong, as it currently stands, it can't be used for a conventional build, but that can be remedied by removing the curves. The basic skeleton that I sent him is the same as the conventional build, just with curved sides, if you remove the curves, fix the front and rear panel widths, you're back to the original.
                        Ahh I gotcha. That might save a bit of time, but I would probably suggest to just draw it from scratch from the original drawnings. You'll learn how to do draw and have a better feel for what needs to be done. Either way works though.

Comment

• AdelaaR
                          • Dec 2010

I had my Statements CNC'ed by simply writing an e-mail with the needed sizes.
                          The company I had it done at then types in those numbers in a dedicated CNC machine that automatically calculates the best way to take those pieces out of whole plates of raw material, automatically (by robot) fetches the plates of MDF from storage and automatically cuts and labels them.
                          There never is a need for any CAD or anything like that.
                          It may be that I'm just lucky to have such a facility nearby but maybe you should check around where you live if you haven't got one, too.

Comment

• BBLV
                            • Dec 2007

Originally posted by AdelaaR
                            I had my Statements CNC'ed by simply writing an e-mail with the needed sizes.
                            The company I had it done at then types in those numbers in a dedicated CNC machine that automatically calculates the best way to take those pieces out of whole plates of raw material, automatically (by robot) fetches the plates of MDF from storage and automatically cuts and labels them.
                            There never is a need for any CAD or anything like that.
                            It may be that I'm just lucky to have such a facility nearby but maybe you should check around where you live if you haven't got one, too.
                            If there's such a place in Orange County, CA I'd be in heaven!

Comment

• benthe8track
                              • Feb 2008

Well either they will have to draft it (and presumably charge you for that service) or you supply the files.

Comment

Working...
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"