X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Audiophile100%
    • Apr 2005

Seas 22TFF Vs Scan-Speak D9130 for three ways loudspeaker

about you point of view which is better for its specs on a three ways speakers.....
    lets discuss about it.
    ....the 26mm dome ofscan for example has a lighter dome then seas 22 mm....
    the axis and off axis response are better for seas....
  • 5th element
    Supreme Being Moderator
    • Sep 2009

I haven't seen any distortion measurements for the fabric 22mm SEAS, although Zaph has measured the metal dome version. The family resemblance within SEAS products tends to be very strong, so the fabric version is likely to measure as good as the metal.

Comparing the non linear distortion of the two both are very clean above around 3kHz with the SEAS being ever so slightly better due to its lower 3rd harmonic content. Below this the Scan driver takes the honours and is pretty much one of the better performing tweeters down low of any dome tweeter you might care to compare it against.

As you've mentioned the 22mm SEAS has a very smooth and attractive frequency response, both on and off axis although this is usually not a problem to adjust with the xover, at least in terms of getting the tonal balance correct.

The SEAS has a smaller faceplate so will allow you to mount it closer to your mid range driver, this is a nice bonus and should most definitely be taken advantage of. It almost seems foolhardy to buy a device with a small faceplate and not mount it as close as possible to the mid, but you see so many people doing this. If you've bought a smaller form factor tweeter you may as well exploit all that it's good for.

In my opinion the SEAS is a no brainer when you consider that it is significantly cheaper too. You do not mention what mid range driver you intend to use, but, if you need the extra low end capabilities of the Scan, then go with it (for example if you were using a W15CY001 from SEAS as the mid), but if you do not, then go for the 22TFF.
    What you screamin' for, every five minutes there's a bomb or something. I'm leavin' Bzzzzzzz!
    5th Element, otherwise known as Matt.
    Now with website. www.5een.co.uk Still under construction.

Comment

• Jed
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Apr 2005

I've used both in various systems/applications, so this is just my opinion. I was surprised that despite the nice graphs for the seas 22tff, it did not offer the detail of the scan speak. I do like the sound of the 22tafg though, and it is very nice with a good midrange like the tang band w4 1337 or vifa ne123, though so is the HDS.

Comment

• Audiophile100%
        • Apr 2005

....other experiences ?

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"