X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jquin
    • Dec 2006

Speaker workshop replacement?

Hi all
    The old speaker workshop measurement software won't install under Windows 8 and the last update to the SW was 2002. What free/low cost software do people generally use now for measurement?
  • 5th element
    Supreme Being Moderator
    • Sep 2009

For measurements I use ARTA. I've tried HOLM and didn't think it was anywhere near as good/flexible. ARTA is shareware, you can export FRD/ZMA files etc, but you cannot save the impulse responses. This isn't exactly critical to designing loudspeakers but it is quite useful. It is also necessary if you want to create polar plots because you need to be able to load saved impulse files to make them, but that's not strictly necessary either.

I'm on windows 7, I don't know if ARTA works with 8, but I guess it probably does.
    What you screamin' for, every five minutes there's a bomb or something. I'm leavin' Bzzzzzzz!
    5th Element, otherwise known as Matt.
    Now with website. www.5een.co.uk Still under construction.

Comment

• Adept
      • Apr 2014

Room EQ Wizard is another free software just like ARTA(shareware version). Its a bit prettier and easy to get up and running. Its also updated fairly regularly with useful features.

REW is free software for room acoustic measurement, loudspeaker measurement and audio device measurement and analysis

Comment

• jquin
        • Dec 2006

Thanks guys

Comment

• JonMarsh
          Mad Max Moderator
          • Aug 2000

Of course, if you really want to have fun, there's Fuzzmeasure on the Mac. Bypasses that ole Windows install problem completely! :W

Click image for larger version

Name:	FMPhaseRepsonse_zpsa32f745b.png
Views:	28
Size:	217.6 KB
ID:	944679
          Last edited by theSven; 08 July 2023, 16:31 Saturday. Reason: Update image location
          the AudioWorx
          Natalie P
          M8ta
          Modula Neo DCC
          Modula MT XE
          Modula Xtreme
          Isiris
          Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
          Minerva Monitor
          Calliope
          Ardent D

In Development...
          Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
          Obi-Wan
          Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
          Modula PWB
          Calliope CC Supreme
          Natalie P Ultra
          Natalie P Supreme
          Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
          Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• 5th element
            Supreme Being Moderator
            • Sep 2009

What's wrong with windows?
            What you screamin' for, every five minutes there's a bomb or something. I'm leavin' Bzzzzzzz!

Comment

• jquin
              • Dec 2006

Thanks all

Comment

• JonMarsh
                Mad Max Moderator
                • Aug 2000

Originally posted by 5th element
                What's wrong with windows?
                As a long time user of Windows from the earliest versions, and someone who constructed all of their own PC's from 1985 through 2005, including several dedicated test system builds and HTPC's, let's just say you don't want to go there. :W Go Mac, and you'll never go back! :W

Click image for larger version

Name:	Dell-4K-in-retina-mode_720_zps1251d870.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	944680
                Last edited by theSven; 08 July 2023, 16:31 Saturday. Reason: Update iamge location
                the AudioWorx
                Natalie P
                M8ta
                Modula Neo DCC
                Modula MT XE
                Modula Xtreme
                Isiris
                Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                Minerva Monitor
                Calliope
                Ardent D

In Development...
                Obi-Wan
                Modula PWB
                Calliope CC Supreme
                Natalie P Ultra
                Natalie P Supreme
                Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• 5th element
                  Supreme Being Moderator
                  • Sep 2009

Well Jon I've been building my own PCs for the last, hmm 18 years or so and have worked with all the versions of windows from 3.1 up to W7. I don't really have an issue with it as an OS.

Comment

• jquin
                    • Dec 2006

Win 8.1 is nice, well apart from the way MS messed with the GUI.

I have a hackintosh so I might use that.

At the moment I'm having issues with the plate amp, it might have to go back under warranty.

Comment

• jquin
                      • Dec 2006

What are the guys at home theater shack thinking? Talk about pain in the *&%# registration.

Comment

• jquin
                        • Dec 2006

I've been using roomeqwizard and so far it's been a good experience.

Comment

• cjd
                          Ultra Senior Member
                          • Dec 2004

I also use ARTA (I paid - it's worth it to be able to save the impulse and go back later to mess with other export settings, or just look at the data in different ways. I use SW as well as Jeff B's spreadsheets and DLR's Windows version of said sheets for crossover work (SW is so slow, but it offers flexibility no other free software offers...) I might add, after assembling the rather simple jig, I spent a good while hating myself for spending so much time fighting with SW for good data.

Originally posted by JonMarsh
                          Go Mac, and you'll never go back! :W
                          As long as you either: work/organize things the way they think you should OR want the shiny and will retrain your way of life - not even close.

I work with All sorts of devices/OS's at work, and Apple is at the very bottom of the list for usability and effectiveness. I do think OS X ranks slightly above iOS. Windows Phone is next, then Firefox OS, then Android/Linux/Windows are all pretty even (task dependent really)
                          diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• jlaakso
                            • Sep 2012

I use ARTA as well. Very robust and flexible. I have Linux laptop for measurements, ARTA runs very well under wine. I also modified the script (AutoIT scripting) found in ARTA website to handle multiple (angled) measurements and made another one (ARTA_ImpulseToFRD.exe) to gate and export existing impulse responses with same gating. The script (ARTA_Loop.exe) takes angles, filename prefix, step size, wait time between measurements etc as input and runs ARTA in a loop through the angles. It also supports gated FR exports. All I have to do is start the script, run few test measurements, adjust gating and press OK. After that I only have to remenber to rotate the speaker according to measured angle. File naming supports ARTA's directivity pattern format, so measurements are ready use in that as well.

Comment

• JonMarsh
                              Mad Max Moderator
                              • Aug 2000

Originally posted by cjd
                              I also use ARTA (I paid - it's worth it to be able to save the impulse and go back later to mess with other export settings, or just look at the data in different ways. I use SW as well as Jeff B's spreadsheets and DLR's Windows version of said sheets for crossover work (SW is so slow, but it offers flexibility no other free software offers...) I might add, after assembling the rather simple jig, I spent a good while hating myself for spending so much time fighting with SW for good data.

As long as you either: work/organize things the way they think you should OR want the shiny and will retrain your way of life - not even close.

I work with All sorts of devices/OS's at work, and Apple is at the very bottom of the list for usability and effectiveness. I do think OS X ranks slightly above iOS. Windows Phone is next, then Firefox OS, then Android/Linux/Windows are all pretty even (task dependent really)
                              to each their own; I respectfully and strongly disagree. Unix rules, and MacOs is unix. You can use as much of the power as you think you need, and your grandparents can easily get stuff done with it too.
                              the AudioWorx
                              Natalie P
                              M8ta
                              Modula Neo DCC
                              Modula MT XE
                              Modula Xtreme
                              Isiris
                              Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                              Minerva Monitor
                              Calliope
                              Ardent D

In Development...
                              Obi-Wan
                              Modula PWB
                              Calliope CC Supreme
                              Natalie P Ultra
                              Natalie P Supreme
                              Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• jquin
                                • Dec 2006

Originally posted by jlaakso
                                I use ARTA as well. Very robust and flexible. I have Linux laptop for measurements, ARTA runs very well under wine. I also modified the script (AutoIT scripting) found in ARTA website to handle multiple (angled) measurements and made another one (ARTA_ImpulseToFRD.exe) to gate and export existing impulse responses with same gating. The script (ARTA_Loop.exe) takes angles, filename prefix, step size, wait time between measurements etc as input and runs ARTA in a loop through the angles. It also supports gated FR exports. All I have to do is start the script, run few test measurements, adjust gating and press OK. After that I only have to remenber to rotate the speaker according to measured angle. File naming supports ARTA's directivity pattern format, so measurements are ready use in that as well.
                                Thanks I might have to check this out too

Comment

• BobEllis
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Dec 2005

Originally posted by cjd
                                  Originally posted by JonMarsh
                                  to each their own; I respectfully and strongly disagree. Unix rules, and MacOs is unix. You can use as much of the power as you think you need, and your grandparents can easily get stuff done with it too.
                                  I think it boils down to how your brain is wired and your primary computing experience. I started with an 8088 PC and DOS, and have used primarily PC/Windows all my adult life. A lot of Apple OS seems counterintuitive to me once you get past basic function. Windows is getting more apple like and driving me nuts with each "upgrade", especially Windows (H)8. My son was strictly PCs until he went into a creative job and now uses both Apple and PC interchangeably.

That said, I use Holm Impulse, but I am not as advanced as a lot of people and don't model much. I am more of a measure, tweak, repeat guy.

Comment

• Johnloudb
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • May 2007

Originally posted by BobEllis
                                    I think it boils down to how your brain is wired and your primary computing experience.
                                    Hi Bob, I agree, computer prefererance is a lot about what we are familiar with and also what works for "us." As one who always used a Mac till just one year ago, I find windows 7 very Mac like. Still there are quirks I had to get used to and had to learn how to accomplish certain things in a different way. I really like my Lenevo Carbon Thinkpad running windows 7. I hate Windows 8 and dread when I have to upgrade to another version of Windows! I wouldn't call it Mac like ... It is just kind of insane! Just my opinion though, to each there own.
                                    John unk:

"Why can't we all just, get along?" ~ Jack Nicholson (Mars Attacks)

My Website (hyperacusis, tinnitus, my story)

Comment

Working...
                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                    Search Result for "|||"