X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • johngalt47
    • Apr 2007

Invictus

Got one of them mostly done...except for finishing.

I don't have any stuffing in it and it sounds great.
    Attached Files
  • BOBinGA
    • Mar 2009

Nice start.

Is this your own design? It looks like the tweeter should be closer to the woofer, if you can still do that. But if the XO is low enough it should be good.

-Bob
    -Bob

The PEDS 2.1 mini system
    My A7 Project - another small desktop speaker
    The B3 Hybrid Dipole - thread incomplete and outdated

Comment

• 5th element
      Supreme Being Moderator
      • Sep 2009

I'll never understand why designers place drivers further away from one another than they need to be. I mean in a design like this, where one has chosen to use a small form factor neo, you're almost missing half of the point by not mounting it as close to the mid/bass as is physically possible. The designer is Curt, who did the statement series.
      What you screamin' for, every five minutes there's a bomb or something. I'm leavin' Bzzzzzzz!
      5th Element, otherwise known as Matt.
      Now with website. www.5een.co.uk Still under construction.

Comment

• dsrviola
        • Oct 2007

Originally posted by 5th element
        I'll never understand why designers place drivers further away from one another than they need to be. I mean in a design like this, where one has chosen to use a small form factor neo, you're almost missing half of the point by not mounting it as close to the mid/bass as is physically possible. The designer is Curt, who did the statement series.
        Maybe because they like the resultant sound, or it meets their particular design goals. It's not like there aren't plenty of very highly regarded speaker designers who've done exactly that. From my experience you can improve imaging by spacing the drivers further apart. There's a cost (of course), but ....<shrug>

Comment

• BOBinGA
          • Mar 2009

Since the xo is at 2200, that's about a 6 inch wavelength. The driver centers are 6.375 inches apart, so it is close enough.
          -Bob
          -Bob

The PEDS 2.1 mini system
          My A7 Project - another small desktop speaker
          The B3 Hybrid Dipole - thread incomplete and outdated

Comment

• 5th element
            Supreme Being Moderator
            • Sep 2009

Try a good coaxial and then you'll see what having no c2c spacing is all about. And it isn't 1 cycles wavelength one needs to design to for vertical lobing to become a none issue, it's 1/2 1 cycles wavelength. 1 cycle is typically cited because it's practical, 1/2 requires special attention. This design could approach that if the drivers were mounted close together with the tweeter crossed around 1.5k. Why bother paying for the Xbl motor, in the tweeter, if you're not going to use what that advantage nets you.

I know this is rather critical, but 6" 1" two ways are a dime a douzen, you need to do something to make yours try and stand out from the crowd. A 1.5k close mount small neo design would do that, like this it doesn't. Nevertheless it will still sound good.
            What you screamin' for, every five minutes there's a bomb or something. I'm leavin' Bzzzzzzz!
            5th Element, otherwise known as Matt.
            Now with website. www.5een.co.uk Still under construction.

Comment

• TEK
              Super Senior Member
              • Oct 2002

Looks nice (but I'm no designer - just use others design).
              The picture makes this seem like quite a wide baffle, but I expect it not to be.
              What is your box size, what drivers are you using and what finish do you plan to apply?
              -TEK

Many of the great achievements of the world were accomplished by tired and discouraged men who kept on working...

Comment

• Paul K.
                • Jul 2008

I'm pretty sure the external dimensions of this cabinet are 8.5"W x 43.5"H x 15.5"D. If you look up Curt Campbell's site you'll find details on this and many other designs he's done.
                Paul

Originally posted by TEK
                Looks nice (but I'm no designer - just use others design).
                The picture makes this seem like quite a wide baffle, but I expect it not to be.
                What is your box size, what drivers are you using and what finish do you plan to apply?

Comment

• johngalt47
                  • Apr 2007

Please see Curt's web page for details:

This is a great sounding speaker. I'm not sure if I will paint these or veneer them...maybe nothing at all! haha

By the way, I cut the mdf on my CNC router.

Comment

• ---k---
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Nov 2005

Looks like another great design. I would love to hear it. Yours are looking pretty good. I think any design with SS Revs needs a nice veneer.
                    - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
                    CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
                    CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"