• jim1961
    • Nov 2012

XO Modification Question

Click image for larger version

Name:	04 17 14 FR R S W M T.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	871313

(measure at the listening position with 1/24th oct smoothing, 250ms gate)

Green = all drivers +sub
    Brown = sub +woofer
    Purple = sub + mid + tweet

Name:	Jenzen XO.jpg
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	871314

Crossover

Firstly, I have already modified C2011 to 130uf to try to extend the mid lower.

Question. To fix the small gap in the 150hz - 250hz area, I was thinking of XO the woofer higher. Instead of a 8.2mh coil, maybe a 6.8mh one (with corresponding different capacitor).

To make a long story short, the gap is primarily caused by the midrange (in my reading of the graphs). Go ahead and discount room, setup, or treatment changes for I have tried as many as is possible to limited avail (its primarily a room issue that I cant address). Is this the right approach? Is the dip worth fixing? Can I unwind the existing "c" coil some or do I need to purchase another?

Thoughts?
    Last edited by jim1961; 17 April 2014, 13:28 Thursday.
    Seek out and destroy early high gain room reflections
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

would want to simulate this with at least some vaguely representative data before offering any opinion, much less real advice! Should be able to do that some time next week, I think...
    the AudioWorx
    Natalie P
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• 5th element
      Supreme Being Moderator
      • Sep 2009

Is this measurement an averaged response of the mic in various positions, or just in the one place? Sometimes you can pick a bad location to measure at, where the dip goes away if you move the mic a little. Certainly when talking about modal interactions, you cannot come to any conclusions with a single, fixed, mic position.

That said this could either be modal, floor bounce or a poorly integrated mid and bass driver.

If you take a number of measurements at different lateral off axis positions, this should let you see if it's modal or not. It if is the dip will go away, if it isn't, it will remain.

As the dip is still present, even with the woofers turned off, it is unlikely to be poor driver integration. Floor bounce is just physics screwing with your perfectly flat frequency response. You could measure again, with the woofer off, at different microphone heights, or try measuring closer to the cabinet. This should change the frequency that floor bounce occurs at and will let you see if it's likely to be the culprit. The dip also appears to be missing with the mid and tweets turned off, which points towards floor bounce possibly being the issue.

The only way to fix this is to cross over higher up between the mid and the bass driver.
      What you screamin' for, every five minutes there's a bomb or something. I'm leavin' Bzzzzzzz!
      5th Element, otherwise known as Matt.
      Now with website. www.5een.co.uk Still under construction.

Comment

• JonMarsh
        Mad Max Moderator
        • Aug 2000

Measurements of the individual drivers on the cabinet would indicate if this is the case. Similarly, if drivers which measure well in their cabinet location don't show this dip with the crossover, then it's likely to be floor bounce issues... will take some sleuthing.
        the AudioWorx
        Natalie P
        M8ta
        Modula Neo DCC
        Modula MT XE
        Modula Xtreme
        Isiris
        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
        Minerva Monitor
        Calliope
        Ardent D

In Development...
        Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
        Obi-Wan
        Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
        Modula PWB
        Calliope CC Supreme
        Natalie P Ultra
        Natalie P Supreme
        Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
        Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• jim1961
          • Nov 2012

Originally posted by 5th element
          Is this measurement an averaged response of the mic in various positions, or just in the one place? Sometimes you can pick a bad location to measure at, where the dip goes away if you move the mic a little. Certainly when talking about modal interactions, you cannot come to any conclusions with a single, fixed, mic position.

That said this could either be modal, floor bounce or a poorly integrated mid and bass driver.

If you take a number of measurements at different lateral off axis positions, this should let you see if it's modal or not. It if is the dip will go away, if it isn't, it will remain.

As the dip is still present, even with the woofers turned off, it is unlikely to be poor driver integration. Floor bounce is just physics screwing with your perfectly flat frequency response. You could measure again, with the woofer off, at different microphone heights, or try measuring closer to the cabinet. This should change the frequency that floor bounce occurs at and will let you see if it's likely to be the culprit. The dip also appears to be missing with the mid and tweets turned off, which points towards floor bounce possibly being the issue.

The only way to fix this is to cross over higher up between the mid and the bass driver.
          The dip moves in depth and in frequency as you take readings in different places. My avatar is my speaker, so you can see the mid is up pretty high. When I put OC703 on the floor to lessen the bounce the dip actually gets worse believe it or not (overall). More specifically, the woofer bounce seems to help in the frequency range in question, while the primary culprit is the midrange floor bounce. When you move the mic towards the speaker, the dip progressively disappears.

The curves I have shown are a single location. The mic tip where ones right ear opening is measuring the right speaker.

I agree moving the XO point higher seems the best direction to go given, as you pointed out, the woofer is unaffected. Looks like 40hz or 50hz higher would do (220hz to 270hz or so).
          Last edited by jim1961; 18 April 2014, 10:26 Friday.

Comment

• jim1961
            • Nov 2012

Originally posted by JonMarsh
            Measurements of the individual drivers on the cabinet would indicate if this is the case. Similarly, if drivers which measure well in their cabinet location don't show this dip with the crossover, then it's likely to be floor bounce issues... will take some sleuthing.
            The dip isnt there at near field measurements (1M)

Comment

• jim1961
              • Nov 2012

Lets look at the notes within the frequency dip reference to 69.5db:

A#3 233hz -2.5db
              A3 220hz -5.5db
              G#3 208hz -5db
              G3 196hz -3.5db
              F#3 185hz -3db
              F3 175hz -2.3db

In essence, there are (2) notes (A3 & G#3) that are the most need of fixing. That said, I am not going to spend a fortune to fix this problem. Buying (2) new "C" coils, having looked up their price ($53 x2) is too much. What I am prepared to do is unwind the 8.2mh coils already in the XO. BTW, is it tricky to get the plastic surround on those coils off and then back on again in order to unwind them?

In the mean time, I will look for ways to absorb or redirect the midrange bounce. But I am not too hopeful given I have been trying to do this for a year now.

Comment

• jim1961
                • Nov 2012

Name:	04 18 14 FR board sides 2.jpg
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	859076

Tried something new. Got it from the green line to the red one. A modest difference, but now the two "bad" notes are:

A3 220hz -4.4db
                G#3 208hz -3.2db
                Last edited by jim1961; 18 April 2014, 13:25 Friday.

Comment

• Jonasz
                  • Nov 2004

Can you actually hear the dip or is it just a measurement-ocd situation?

What happens if you put a bunch of bedcovers on the floor where the floorbounce should be? Does the dip change? A table placed at the same place should also change the dip, if it is a floorreflexion that is.

Comment

• jim1961
                    • Nov 2012

Originally posted by Jonasz
                    Can you actually hear the dip or is it just a measurement-ocd situation?

What happens if you put a bunch of bedcovers on the floor where the floorbounce should be? Does the dip change? A table placed at the same place should also change the dip, if it is a floorreflexion that is.
                    Mostly measurement OCD :B But it does seem at times, especially playing classical, that what Jon calls the "power spectrum" seems like it should be a bit more robust.

I already have 5 layers of rug on the floor. Additional flooring absorption makes it worse (a previous post explains this more thoroughly)

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"