X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BigguyZ
    • Jan 2009

Small design needed 5" wide

My brother is building a built-in for his house. He was going to go with in-wall speakers, but now his carpenter build the columns smaller than originally planned.

So, the columns in the built-in are 7" wide. The space inside them is only 5" wide. The plan is to cut an opening into the front of the column and build a compartment the speakers will sit in.

What DYI designs are there (that are budget minded), that have an enclosure 5" wide and would be fine sitting flush in a 7" column.

Any suggestions? I need to build these fairly quickly.

Thanks!
  • BOBinGA
    • Mar 2009

Here are a few questions that might help us give you better suggestions:

1. A 5" width will only leave room for a 3" or maybe a 4" woofer. This usually means a subwoofer is a good addition. Do you have a place for a small sub in mind? If so, how big is that space?
    2. You say that the speakers will be built into a "column". Is this column out into the room or is it flush with the wall? Wall placement does not give you as many options since most DIY designs are not for wall mounting. There are obviously some wall mount designs, but I don't recall any with 3" woofers.
    3. Do you have any height restrictions? Would you want only a woofer and tweeter or is an MTM what you have in mind?

Perhaps a picture of the space you have in mind would help.

-Bob
    -Bob

The PEDS 2.1 mini system
    My A7 Project - another small desktop speaker
    The B3 Hybrid Dipole - thread incomplete and outdated

Comment

• BigguyZ
      • Jan 2009

Thanks! I appreciate the help!

1. Yes, a subwoofer is planned as well
      2. The column is part of a whole wall bookshelf/ built-in.
      3. No height restrictions, MTM is fine/ good

I can get a picture, but to be honest, it's my brother and he's not a critical listener. I'm just tying to build something that'll be better than some store bought crap.

I did see the Bose Busters, and am thinking about those. I saw there's a BBV2, but couldn't find details. Any other options? Something with a center channel variant would be nice as well (but not critical)

Thanks!
      Travis

Comment

• 5th element
        Supreme Being Moderator
        • Sep 2009

Hmm. See if you could squeeze this in.

There are two in wall options at the bottom. If you could they'd be perfect. There is no box 'width' in the design as it is intended for you to have them flush into the wall. If you've got a 7" wide column (presumably including panel thickness) you can always have the drivers flush mounting into the side panels. In other words you don't have to build a box to fit into the gap left by the column, build the speakers into the column itself.
        What you screamin' for, every five minutes there's a bomb or something. I'm leavin' Bzzzzzzz!
        5th Element, otherwise known as Matt.
        Now with website. www.5een.co.uk Still under construction.

Comment

• BOBinGA
          • Mar 2009

I second the ZA5s. Quick and easy. Make them fit.

-Bob
          -Bob

The PEDS 2.1 mini system

Comment

• BigguyZ
            • Jan 2009

I'd love to do the Zaph, but it calls for a 8" front baffle. Even if I build a box into the column and use the entire front of the column as the baffle/ build it in, that's not wide enough.

Any other suggestions?

Comment

• 5th element
              Supreme Being Moderator
              • Sep 2009

Like I said, read down the page, he has numerous designs, two of which are in wall. These don't require any baffle width, as in they are in the wall and have infinite baffle width so to speak.
              What you screamin' for, every five minutes there's a bomb or something. I'm leavin' Bzzzzzzz!

Comment

• augerpro
                Super Senior Member
                • Aug 2006

Originally posted by BigguyZ
                I did see the Bose Busters, and am thinking about those. I saw there's a BBV2, but couldn't find details.
                Travis
                I was actually just about to publish that design when I decided to try a couple new entrants into the small format tweeter category. Listening for a few weeks now and I think I'm going with the SB26STCN over the NE19VTT I was using. So this design will get published within the next couple months, just have to do the documentation and a walkthough to integrate the sub. That said, the Overnight Sensations would also be a well reviewed project for your friend. Not sure of the designer's website, but you can look at the kit at meniscusaudio.com
                ~Brandon 8O
                Please donate to my Waveguides for CNC and 3D Printing Project!!
                Please donate to my Monster Box Construction Methods Project!!
                DriverVault
                Soma Sonus

Comment

• Silver1omo
                  • Sep 2010

You can get a flat pack as well in http://www.diysoundgroup.com/speaker...eaker-kit.html
                  Ivan.
                  My Statement monitors

Comment

• 5th element
                    Supreme Being Moderator
                    • Sep 2009

The over night sensations are a full bafflestep design and are not suitable for an in wall installation.

Comment

• augerpro
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Aug 2006

The OP might contact Paul C and see if he ever did a no BSC version, it is pretty popular design.
                      ~Brandon 8O
                      DriverVault
                      Soma Sonus

Comment

• Silver1omo
                        • Sep 2010

Sorry for referencing another forum, but you can see this thread at techtalk:
                        Want a second or third opinion about your speaker cabinet design or other audio related problem? Post your question or comment on the Technical Discussion Board. Hundreds of technicians, engineers, and hobbyists, nationwide read and discuss electronics related questions each week. We welcome your participation

"Good call, Chris. There is a bit of a hump right where you're describing. Sealing the cabinet flattens things out, gives a shallower roll-off. When I run the Overnight Sensations with a sub, I seal them (pair of socks does the trick)"
                        Ivan.
                        My Statement monitors

Comment

• BOBinGA
                          • Mar 2009

Brandon,
                          Is there a reason why you would recommend the Overnight Sensations over the ZA5s? I have never heard neither, but based on the placement requirements, the ZA5s would seem to be the better choice as long as BigguyZ can get a 5-3/4" woofer to fit the space.

-Bob

p.s. Glad to see you back in business after a three year hiatus.
                          -Bob

The PEDS 2.1 mini system

Comment

• Silver1omo
                            • Sep 2010

I don't know Brandon's reasons, but the OP said "What DYI designs are there (that are budget minded)". The OS kit is ~$130 and the ZA5 is ~$200.
                            I do believe an in-wall/on-wall design would be a better match.
                            Ivan.
                            My Statement monitors

Comment

• augerpro
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Aug 2006

Originally posted by BOBinGA
                              Brandon,
                              Is there a reason why you would recommend the Overnight Sensations over the ZA5s? I have never heard neither, but based on the placement requirements, the ZA5s would seem to be the better choice as long as BigguyZ can get a 5-3/4" woofer to fit the space.

-Bob

p.s. Glad to see you back in business after a three year hiatus.
                              No reason other than I saw 5" wide, and they popped into my head. I read too fast and missed the part about being in-wall. Thanks for the welcome back!!
                              ~Brandon 8O
                              DriverVault
                              Soma Sonus

Comment

• BigguyZ
                                • Jan 2009

Options have been extremely limited... I looked for commercially- available (non-DIY) in-wall speakers, and nothing that would fit came up.

I can definitely build a ZA5 or overnight sensation setup into the columns, but here's the rub- the columns are already built, so I'd have NO control over box size. So let's say I created the crossover for the ZA5's and made the cutouts for the drivers and everything, would it sound like utter crap without it being in the right sized box, or will it still be OK, but not great?

I know this is REALLY not ideal, but I'm trying to come up with something better, given the circumstances and the fact that he doesn't want bookshelf speakers and the built-in's already built for the most part.

I appreciate EVERYONES opinions/ help!

Thanks!
                                Travis

Comment

• 5th element
                                  Supreme Being Moderator
                                  • Sep 2009

Technically speaking, if you're going to add in a sub then it shouldn't be a problem but with one proviso, the ZA5 MUST be high passed.

You mention these columns though, surely you could add in some additional internal panelling, between the side walls, to seal off a small chamber for the ZA5 to operate in?

You've also mentioned that the internal width is 5" but the columns are 7". It is only the front of the ZA5 driver that is a little over 5" wide, from the rear it's significantly less, so you could possibly build a cabinet that would fit into the 5" wide space, but mounting the ZA5 flush with the 7" external width.

Comment

• augerpro
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • Aug 2006

Does your friend have to go in wall? I've never liked the idea, once they are installed they are there forever. Another option: http://www.kefdirect.com/ci100qs.html
                                    ~Brandon 8O
                                    DriverVault
                                    Soma Sonus

Comment

• Nigelb
                                      • Mar 2010

The Mariposas should work

While not in walls per se they are designed to go next to a computer monitor.

Want a second or third opinion about your speaker cabinet design or other audio related problem? Post your question or comment on the Technical Discussion Board. Hundreds of technicians, engineers, and hobbyists, nationwide read and discuss electronics related questions each week. We welcome your participation

Comment

Working...
                                      Searching...Please wait.
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                      Search Result for "|||"