X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GOWA
    • Apr 2007

I see RED!

Well, it seems that Philip Bamberg has a new offering on his site. Very nice indeed! Drewl........
    Series 3 TMW is out in the open after more than 3 years in development and do they ever look delicious!

No matter where you go, there you are.

Website
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

Originally posted by GOWA
    Well, it seems that Philip Bamberg has a new offering on his site. Very nice indeed! Drewl........
    Series 3 TMW is out in the open after more than 3 years in development and do they ever look delicious!

http://www.bambergaudio.com/products/series3/3tmw.php
    That woofer sure looks a lot like the SW223 Wavecor...

Click image for larger version

Name:	SW223BD01_hi-res_zps4db01543.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	120.3 KB
ID:	943976
    Last edited by theSven; 04 July 2023, 23:03 Tuesday. Reason: Update image location
    the AudioWorx
    Natalie P
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• 5th element
      Supreme Being Moderator
      • Sep 2009

Indeed it does I've never heard of that designer before, but it seems like he puts sub drivers into a lot of his three ways as the bottom of the three way. That and from the looks of things, his designs are supposed to be mainly active, but with passive options. Quite a different approach to most mainstream audiophile stuff.
      What you screamin' for, every five minutes there's a bomb or something. I'm leavin' Bzzzzzzz!
      5th Element, otherwise known as Matt.
      Now with website. www.5een.co.uk Still under construction.

Comment

• BOBinGA
        • Mar 2009

That's Philip Bamberg. He posts quite often over at the PE forum. Seems to be a pretty good guy. No hype, just facts when he posts. He offers a good perspective from a commercial designer.

-Bob
        -Bob

The PEDS 2.1 mini system
        My A7 Project - another small desktop speaker
        The B3 Hybrid Dipole - thread incomplete and outdated

Comment

• JonMarsh
          Mad Max Moderator
          • Aug 2000

I've been passingly familiar with Phil for some years, but haven't been following him closely- they've been at some of the shows like RMAF for years. The system linked by GOWA is basically a three way at 450 Hz and 3 kHz with a curious roll off characteristics on the midrange- a big stop in the attenuation at about -20 dB which shows up in ripples in the upper bass/low midrange due to the somewhat ragged response of the 5" driver on the bottom end. This info is taken from their own PDF spec. Looks like it's well voiced and should sound pretty good, slopes are LR4. Should have good power handling for the drivers used, as they're keeping out of band stuff down.

Phil is using what I would call an Allison derived layout- woofer at the floor boundary, midrange way off the floor, crossed high enough to try to minimize floor bounce. Only difficulty with that is that you need a bit of distance for a good summation of wavefronts- at 500 Hz, one wavelength is about 68 cm, or ~27". That's in the ball park of the driver spacing woofer to mid- I prefer to see that around 1/2 wavelength or less.

Nice paint finish in red.... GF likes red like that. Especially on Porsches. But possibly not in the family room! :W But he has a lot of other nice options, including cherry and walnut- his Maple sample is a bit bland looking, appears to be standard quarter sawn, not curly/flame or birds eye.
          the AudioWorx
          Natalie P
          M8ta
          Modula Neo DCC
          Modula MT XE
          Modula Xtreme
          Isiris
          Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
          Minerva Monitor
          Calliope
          Ardent D

In Development...
          Obi-Wan
          Modula PWB
          Calliope CC Supreme
          Natalie P Ultra
          Natalie P Supreme
          Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Carl V
            • Apr 2005

Phil has, as Bob mentions always been a "just the facts sorta guy" (Dragnet anybody.?)
            He is always been a straight shooter...imho. He has very generously given me advice
            when I was learning my way around curves, responses & measurements. Thomas & I heard
            a few of his designs & both smiled & nodded at a few past RMAF. I first met Phil at a MIDWEST
            AUDIO FEST in Lima Ohio. I have heard his speakers at two other locations. Always liked his sound.

OT (sorta)....tweeter response. how much shelving do we shoot for? Jon you have mentioned
            in the recent past that you have re~thought your Flat Freq. response 'ideal'. Many moons ago
            I built your M8A and followed your parts expressway articles. I heard your Neo CC, first Ardent
            and helped a colleague with that build (neo in 40 Liter).
            a few years ago I went to Corta madera to hear Siegfrieds design
            and he too mentioned a tapering from the "Flat freq. response"...spent a weekend at Sea Ranch Listening.
            Nice sound.

Thoughts? Fifth Element, Bob, cjd, Phil?

Comment

• JonMarsh
              Mad Max Moderator
              • Aug 2000

Carl, that has been my thought, for the same reasons as Sigfried cites, yet with my current DAC and setup I've wound up tuning the SPL pretty much flat and like it that way...

Maybe I'm just going deaf! :W

And this is even listening to the Isiris pretty much near field (1-1/2 meter, close for a big system).

Especially when you get further away, I wound up preferring the measured flat level setting. I'm still scratching my head a bit on this... let's say I'd recommend the slight tip down as a starting point...
              the AudioWorx
              Natalie P
              M8ta
              Modula Neo DCC
              Modula MT XE
              Modula Xtreme
              Isiris
              Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
              Minerva Monitor
              Calliope
              Ardent D

In Development...
              Obi-Wan
              Modula PWB
              Calliope CC Supreme
              Natalie P Ultra
              Natalie P Supreme
              Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"