X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • xsilverjag
    • Feb 2014

In-Khan-Neatos ported

Has anyone built In-Khan-Neatos ported? Ive been thinking about doing it for my 2nd DIY project, however my first was the O/S Dayton kit(not sure that counts)

Thanks
  • cjd
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Dec 2004

Not that I've heard.

The challenge is that you'll have more excursion issues below tuning. In wall, that may be OK - a bit more box volume, plus a port... should sound good.

If you are putting these on stands (i.e. not putting them in-wall and front-porting) the Garnacha should have the same footprint. I'd suggest going that route in this case due to the power handling gains.

Regardless, it can be done, so if that's the right answer for you we can figure out volume/port spec.

C
    diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• ---k---
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Nov 2005

A lot of people build speakers and we never hear about it. So, I wouldn't be shocked, but I haven't heard of it.

I like subwoofers. I think there are tons of benefits to subs. If you're going to use a sub, there really isn't a point of porting them. It is a waste. CJD has a nice 10" RS w/ 240W plate amp subwoofer. They don't have to be huge or expensive. (CJD also has a monstrous quad 15" IB subwoofer, and I believe a pair of 18" drivers looking for a home...)

The bass from the sealed in-walls is pretty impressive and satisfying, it just isn't extending down much in the 30hz - 40 hz range. Audessy set the crossover point at 50 hz, which I believe is the measured in-room f3. If you aren't going to use a sub, you can port it to extend the bass some more. I haven't modeled the RS 180 in a ported box to see how close to the excursion limits it would be. But, the Statement Monitor uses there RS 180 in a ported box. Box tuning is for the most part independent of the crossover. So, unless I'm mistaken you could use the same box volume and port length as the Statement Monitor or some of the other RS180 designs. At least as a starting point. Curt knows what he is doing with box design.
      - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
      CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
      CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• cjd
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Dec 2004

Statement tuning should work quite well.

And, it's 4 of the Maelstrom-X 18's waiting for me to find space.

C

Comment

• ---k---
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Nov 2005

I need you to post pictures of that so that anything I want to build looks sooooo much more reasonable to my wife.
          - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
          CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
          CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• xsilverjag
            • Feb 2014

Originally posted by ---k---
            I need you to post pictures of that so that anything I want to build looks sooooo much more reasonable to my wife.

Im not sure anything I build will look reasonable to your wife! I will post pictures when I start... I'm still in the commitment part of the speaker building process.... im almost there!

Comment

• xsilverjag
              • Feb 2014

Also, for the Garnacha would the new RS-180 paper be a drop in or would it require a major modification?

Comment

• cjd
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Dec 2004

Originally posted by xsilverjag
                Also, for the Garnacha would the new RS-180 paper be a drop in or would it require a major modification?
                PE states they're not a drop in. I'd trust them on that. Haven't actually looked at the specs to ponder it in more depth myself.

That said, you want the aluminum woofer. It perform better on the low side. The mid might be a candidate for a variation with the -P version...

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"