General Question- what do you do with your old DIY speakers?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BigguyZ
    • Jan 2009

General Question- what do you do with your old DIY speakers?

So, I have a while before I really have to worry about this, I think, but after 3 years I'm getting to a point with my new garage shop where I may actually be able to continue working on the Dynamic set of speakers that's 4-5 years in the making now....

This has me wondering what I'm to do with my old speakers- a 5 speaker set of the D'Appolito designed Audax speakers (well, I actually still have to build the center channel ops. I'd love to give them to my brother, but he's the kind of person who's not big into audio, and definitely not into big audio (we're looking at in-wall speakers for his home theater). I live in a small house, so it's not like I have a ton of space for them. They're bigger than I want for my living room. and definitely too big for my bedroom or office for my computer...

So, the question is then- do I sell them, hoping to get a decent amount for them? (I'm not holding my breath on getting my original investment out of them) Or so I just box them up until such time as I get more room or have someone else to give them to?

They were my first foray into veneering, so while they aren't bad looking, they're not stunning like some of the examples I aspire to in my current build.

Just curious on what others have done. These definitely hold some sentimental value, but then again if I could sell them for a decent amount of money, I wouldn't mind the funds for another project or an upgrade in my electronics.
  • cjd
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Dec 2004

The ones I don't still have have been gifted to family. I haven't tried selling any.
    diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• Carl V
      • Apr 2005

Family or friend's gifts.....
      sold a few but the $ loss can be
      painful. You can part out the drivers for 50%.
      But the XO components get recycled. And now that
      PE cabinets or Madisound has premade cabinets
      I don't lose too much on enclosures. I usually over built the
      enclosure like North-creek and others recommended. Some of those
      were purposed thank goodness as cutouts for SS8545 could be
      used with newer SS midwoofers....it's the Tweeter changes which
      caused the biggest headaches.

DIY saves you so much money....:roll:

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"