X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • agrippa
    • Dec 2005

Dayton's Reference Paper cone drivers

Has anyone used these drivers yet? How do they stack up with the Dayton Aluminum cones I wonder? I have used the Aluminum Reference several times and enjoyed them. I am trying to get some independent confirmation on what I am seeing. They look pretty good.

I am just at the beginning phase of a new speaker project.... the dreaming phase. A Nat P type speaker with these.... Ha. I don't know yet. More dreaming is ahead but I do like this new Dayton Series.

Thanks for any input
    Lady Nancy Astor: "Winston, if I were married to you I'd put poison in your coffee"
    Winston Churchill "Nancy, if I were married to you I'd drink it."
  • agrippa
    • Dec 2005

Want a second or third opinion about your speaker cabinet design or other audio related problem? Post your question or comment on the Technical Discussion Board. Hundreds of technicians, engineers, and hobbyists, nationwide read and discuss electronics related questions each week. We welcome your participation

I found this thread on PE. It looks like they designed the paper mids and mid/woofers to paired with the larger metal woofers.
    Lady Nancy Astor: "Winston, if I were married to you I'd put poison in your coffee"

Comment

• mpotoka
      • Sep 2007

I've got a pair of the 180Ps that should be delivered any minute-I'm planning to pair them up with GR-T3 tweeters I have sitting around.

Comment

• cjd
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Dec 2004

There will be projects. Some excellent, a lot good enough, and I'm sure some pretty bad ones. We won't hear about a lot of them.

I've got enough in the pipeline and absolutely no particular reason at this point to stick to PE/Dayton, but if they're the right driver for the job I'll use 'em. They should be excellent. The information we've seen so far suggests they are.

C
        diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• agrippa
          • Dec 2005

Originally posted by cjd
          There will be projects. Some excellent, a lot good enough, and I'm sure some pretty bad ones. We won't hear about a lot of them.

I've got enough in the pipeline and absolutely no particular reason at this point to stick to PE/Dayton, but if they're the right driver for the job I'll use 'em. They should be excellent. The information we've seen so far suggests they are.

C
          New quality drivers at a decent price are always exciting. I look forward to seeing some designs.

Comment

• Jim Holtz
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Mar 2005

I've not been able to get quite as excited as others about the new RS-P line. They are too much like SB Acoustics at the same price points. There are a lot of designs for SB Acoustics and they test excellent with very low distortion.

I was hoping for something like the Vifa NE's or SS Revelators or Illuminators at a lower price point.

Jim

Comment

• Paul K.
              • Jul 2008

Me neither, Jim. I've done some exploratory TL modeling for the RS180P-8 and while the results were entirely acceptable, the RS180 metal cone does far better in woofer and midwoofer uses. I've always felt the original SB Acoustic drivers to be very high-value performers and extremely well-built. Not blatantly knocking the RS paper series as I'm sure many good designs will be wrought by a number of people.
              Paul

Originally posted by Jim Holtz
              I've not been able to get quite as excited as others about the new RS-P line. They are too much like SB Acoustics at the same price points. There are a lot of designs for SB Acoustics and they test excellent with very low distortion.

I was hoping for something like the Vifa NE's or SS Revelators or Illuminators at a lower price point.

Jim

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Paul K.
                Me neither, Jim. I've done some exploratory TL modeling for the RS180P-8 and while the results were entirely acceptable, the RS180 metal cone does far better in woofer and midwoofer uses. I've always felt the original SB Acoustic drivers to be very high-value performers and extremely well-built. Not blatantly knocking the RS paper series as I'm sure many good designs will be wrought by a number of people.
                Paul
                Hi Paul,

What I'm hearing about the new RS-P drivers is they are well suited to mids in a 3-way but not so good in a 2-way configuration. They're high sensitivity but bass is underwhelming. The question I have in my mind is, what do they do better than SB drivers? Different isn't always better.

I'm not knocking them either but so far I think they're uninspiring for anything I'd want to build. Time will tell though. I may change my mind. :W

Jim

Comment

• Paul K.
                  • Jul 2008

It would appear their main advantage is a higher sensitivity, but as usual, the laws of physics takes over by causing a higher Fs, leading to higher f3s in the same volume box as for the equivalent metal-cone RS drivers. Many people have been asking PE for paper-coned RS drivers and it's great PE has taken the time to provide them.
                  Paul

Originally posted by Jim Holtz
                  Hi Paul,

What I'm hearing about the new RS-P drivers is they are well suited to mids in a 3-way but not so good in a 2-way configuration. They're high sensitivity but bass is underwhelming. The question I have in my mind is, what do they do better than SB drivers? Different isn't always better.

I'm not knocking them either but so far I think they're uninspiring for anything I'd want to build. Time will tell though. I may change my mind. :W

Jim

Comment

• fish fingers
                    • Apr 2015

I've heard some good things about the RS180P-4 if crossed not too high. What appeals to me (and I'm sure not lost on others) are the parameters look perfect for a TL design. They also look bloody nice

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"