X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bpatters69
    • Dec 2013

Subwoofer Build... first time poster

Hello All,

FIrst time poster here. I purchased a Yamaha RX-A730, B&W 685s for fronts and the matching B&W Center. Now I would like to add a sub but I want to
    build it. I am a woodworker so building boxes is not a problem. I would have built the front and center speakers but I thought the electronics were too complicated.
    Anyway, a suboofer seems a lot more striaghtforward but I would still like some advice and pointers to get started.

I am budgeting $300 for the project. If that is not realistic, please let me know. The sub will be placed in my living room which is not huge, I would say the dimensions
    are 14' X 22'. Size-wise, I fgure something smaller to a 2 x 2'. I can probably get away with just about any size but like I said, I prefer something more compact.
    I am planning to place the sub in either the front corner or the back corner of the room. I will usually sit towards the back of the room and in the middle. I
    probably sit about 13' from the front speakers. I like watching movies and listening to music. I figure the split is about 70 to 30% movies to music. My thought
    is if something is good enough for music, it can handle home theater.

I do not need something that blows me out of my chair. I just need something that adds some nice depth and base to the movies and music.

So I am open to your suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

Bill
  • cjd
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Dec 2004

Well, how small is small? By 2x2 do you mean a 2x2x2 cube (so 8cu/ft minus driver, etc.) ?

That gets you a 15" driver , but breaks the budget a little.

A 24" cube with 1.5" walls, an 18" long 4" port, and a 500W amp is a solid option paired with the Dayton RSS315HO-4 - that's a 17.6Hz tuning. It's also over budget.

Down-sizing a little still does well. I'd have to do the math to see what works well - an amp eats up a lot of the budget.

At 230W the 10" RS HO sub pairs nicely in a 12x12x30" box but will not fill the room as well. I think it hits the budget though.
    diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

Working...
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"