X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rbrockman
    • Aug 2007

Another inductor question

I have a question concerning inductors and cross-over wiring. I'm quite familiar with inductor to inductor placement guidelines, but am now wondering about their affect
    on any wires running within the magnetic field produced.

Example: An air-core inductor is oriented horizontally on the crossover board, so that the magnetic field runs primarily vertically. Wiring connections are run under the crossover board and some wires happen to run within the magnetic field of the inductors.

Is the effect of any induced voltages so small not to be concerned with or should the crossover board be re-wired to avoid this entirely? I would have just re-routed wires to begin with if I had questioned this before four crossovers were soldered, hot glued, and mounted.... ops:

Thanks for any guidance - hindsight seems so much more intelligent :roll:
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

Some folks have measured significant voltages that way, by using a loop of wire that is open circuit, but with a real world situation, you have at worst a step down transformer (the ratio of the inductor turns your one piece of wire) with a REALLY lousy coupling coefficient! So if you run that loop of wire, and terminate it with an 8 Ohm resistor, then look at it with a scope, you'll get some idea of the actual cross talk. It's best to run wires that have to be near it at 90 degrees-then the coupling drops to essentially zero. So, my thoughts are, don't lose sleep at night over it.
    the AudioWorx
    Natalie P
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Rbrockman
      • Aug 2007

Thank you for the response. Silly little things like this create untold concerns for those of us paranoid with the details..... I'll sleep much better now

Comment

• dsrviola
        • Oct 2007

While I wouldn't worry about it in a budget or super compact speaker, I do make an effort not to have any caps (or to a much lesser degree: resistors) in line with the magnetic field of air core inductors. It's a subtle difference in sound, but it's noticeable.

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"