X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • macken
    • Oct 2012

What to build?

Been reading a lot in this forum lately and beefing up the inspiration to start my first build. But I got lost in the jungle. Was considering the Modula MT, but that is a design from 2005. Is that too old or do they still hold their place? I am going with standmounters/bookshelfs and at least a 6,5 inch woofer.

How do the Modula MT stack up today? Still worth it to build them or is there a better alternative?
  • wkhanna
    Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

Both the Modula MT & Natalie Portman are still some of best designs ever created.
    Hard to go wrong with either one.
    There are others, too, but I am most familiar with these.
    _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
    ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Finleyville
      • Sep 2006

My first build was Zaph's all metal L18 design. Since it is sourced in a PE box all you really need to worry about is cutting the front baffle. I feel that the design is fantastic. But most importantly it sounds fantastic. There is not another design or COMMERCIAL offering for the same price that I have heard that I would trade it for.
      BE ALERT! The world needs more lerts.

Comment

• JonMarsh
        Mad Max Moderator
        • Aug 2000

Considering money and effort involved, versus results, I'd recommend a slightly larger design like the NatalieP, as the extra radiating area on the woofer helps with dynamics and distortion, and with different cabinet size options gives some flexibility with regards to bass extension. Similar designs from others like Zaph also deserve investigating. For the price, I still know of no woofer that comes close to out performing the RS180 Dayton; it uses advanced principles for it's time and the materials budget, and you often have to go 2x or more to match it, and 4x to significantly beat it. THD and IM tests don't lie... and it has reasonable sensitivity, too.

For example, I've thought about creating a new version of the NatalieP with the Exodus Anarchy, which is now available from a second vendor, (which gives more Xmax), but sensitivity is lower, and price is higher. Dual Scanspeak Illuminators would be another way to upgrade, but those are $237 apiece!
        the AudioWorx
        Natalie P
        M8ta
        Modula Neo DCC
        Modula MT XE
        Modula Xtreme
        Isiris
        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
        Minerva Monitor
        Calliope
        Ardent D

In Development...
        Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
        Obi-Wan
        Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
        Modula PWB
        Calliope CC Supreme
        Natalie P Ultra
        Natalie P Supreme
        Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
        Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Ed H
          • Apr 2011

I 3rd the Nat P's. I finished my build a few weeks ago and HIGHLY recommend them. Absolutely incredible - especially considering the price! They make my Paradigm 9semk3's sound like boom boxes.

I had a similar question about newer speaker designs, but it's hard to improve on (damn near) perfection with the designs already in the missions accomplished thread.

My build is on this form - https://www.htguide.com/forum/showth...atalie-P-Build

Good luck. I look forward to your build thread. Next up for me - Modula MTM center to match the Nat Ps.

Edit - I say "damn near" perfection only because I have been infected with the DIY bug. :T
          Last edited by theSven; 07 July 2023, 21:56 Friday. Reason: Update htguide url

Comment

• BobEllis
            Super Senior Member
            • Dec 2005

I'll pile on with the Nat P recommendation. I built a pair for a friend. He was impressed, but I was disappointed when I heard them with his system. They didn't sound nearly as good as they had at home. The Nat-P will reveal a lot of your system's flaws, they deserve to be driven with well above average electronics, but will sound better than most <$2,000 commercial speakers even with a cheap receiver.

I'll also second Ed's comment that it is hard to go wrong with any of the Missions Accomplished designs. A lot of people are building them and I haven't seen a complaint if built properly. If you want a more "modern" design, try one that fits your budget and sense of style. The only caveat I can think of is the open mid Statement series need room to breathe. Unless you can place them with the backs at least 18" from the wall they won't perform their best.

Comment

• Jim Holtz
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Mar 2005

I'll also suggest The Finalists. They were designed to allow closed back, close wall positioning with a flip of a switch and capping the mid tunnel. Very easy and convenient for difficult placement situations. The Vifa NE149 offers excellent sound quality and some of the very best midrange I've heard. The Finalists have become my music reference and perform admirably in home theater. I'm trying not to sound like a fanboy but I love these speakers.

Curt really did an awesome job with the crossover. A kit is available through Meniscus.

Jim

Comment

• JonMarsh
                Mad Max Moderator
                • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Jim Holtz
                I'll also suggest The Finalists. They were designed to allow closed back, close wall positioning with a flip of a switch and capping the mid tunnel. Very easy and convenient for difficult placement situations. The Vifa NE149 offers excellent sound quality and some of the very best midrange I've heard. The Finalists have become my music reference and perform admirably in home theater. I'm trying not to sound like a fanboy but I love these speakers.

Curt really did an awesome job with the crossover. A kit is available through Meniscus.

Jim

That wold be a good choice, too! :T
                the AudioWorx
                Natalie P
                M8ta
                Modula Neo DCC
                Modula MT XE
                Modula Xtreme
                Isiris
                Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                Minerva Monitor
                Calliope
                Ardent D

In Development...
                Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                Obi-Wan
                Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                Modula PWB
                Calliope CC Supreme
                Natalie P Ultra
                Natalie P Supreme
                Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Finleyville
                  • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Jim Holtz
                  I'm trying not to sound like a fanboy but I love these speakers. Curt really did an awesome job with the crossover.
                  x2!

I love my Finalists too. (thanks guys...) However, for the first time builder I will still recommend finding a simpler two-way design that utilizes a pre-manufactured enclosure. I am glad I did. That very positive experience gave me the confidence to build more complicated designs.
                  BE ALERT! The world needs more lerts.

Comment

• macken
                    • Oct 2012

Lots of suggestions and still struggling to decide. Ordering anything from Parts Express is out of the question since I live in Europe, Finland. The taxes and shipping will skyrocket the budget.

I have looked at the Finalists too, but they are too big. I want something with at least a 6,5 inch driver in a "small as possible" cabinet. Currently Zaphs metal design is at the top of the list. I am not a bassfreak, current setup is Usher S520II, but I want a bit more bass than a 5 inch offers.

Premanufactured enclosure is a no-no. It's gonna be a DIY enclosure, matched with a proven design that sounds good.

Comment

• dar47
                      • Nov 2008

Built the L18's and the SR71's, the ER18's in the SR's are vary nice. If you can afford these I think you can source the Seas stuff there.

Comment

• macken
                        • Oct 2012

Originally posted by dar47
                        Built the L18's and the SR71's, the ER18's in the SR's are vary nice. If you can afford these I think you can source the Seas stuff there.
                        I guess that means you like the SR71's more than the L18?

Comment

• dar47
                          • Nov 2008

Yes, the 27TBFCG in the L18 is a very nice metal tweet but the SR71 has the soft dome version of this tweet 27TDFC. The big difference is ER18's vary nice driver.

Both design are voiced vary similar so if you are not stuck on all metal I would do the the SR's. I have built them in the recommended 14L cab and in a larger front ported(current surrounds).

Here are the L18 before I passed them along.

Image not available

here are the RS71's in a larger front ported cab

Click image for larger version

Name:	MTXover014.webp
Views:	23
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	944443

Click image for larger version

Name:	MTXover016.webp
Views:	20
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	944444 .
                          Last edited by theSven; 07 July 2023, 21:58 Friday. Reason: Update image location and remove broken image link

Comment

• macken
                            • Oct 2012

Some interesting suggestions. I stumbled upon Murphys Usher Two-Way a while ago and I can get the drivers for a reasonable price. Is that something worth considering? I love the look of the Usher Audio 8945-A, but have only found two builds with that woofer. Also, have anyone here listened to The Usher Two-Way by Murphy?

Comment

• macken
                              • Oct 2012

Have made my decision and ordered the drivers. Am going to build The Speedsters by Carmody.
                              The size seems perfect and got a great deal on the drivers and crossover components from a dealer in Italy.

My goal from the beginning was to get a DIY speaker better than the Usher 520 and the ribbon tweeter was the icing on the cake. From my readings the 4 inch Tang Band will also provide a small bass boost from the Ushers.

Will be building with 22mm MDF and to keep the baffle to specs the cabinet is growing a lot in depth to keep the 5.5 litres, so the cabinets will be deeper than tall. But they will look good with a roundover on the top and bottom, like the Elac 310.

Just waiting on the drivers now.

Comment

Working...
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"