Midwoofer options that fit into a ~4.25" square and play down to 100Hz (closed box)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DS-21
    • Jun 2005

Midwoofer options that fit into a ~4.25" square and play down to 100Hz (closed box)

I'm looking for something that can fit into a 4.25" square and still give sufficient bass extension to blend with a sub in a background music or nearfield system in a 3L-per-midwoofer sealed cabinet. I would prefer as much volume displacement as can fit in that space.

Is there anything out there besides the Dayton ND-105 (Aurasound NS4 knockoff) or the newish Faital 4FE32 that I should look at?
    Last edited by DS-21; 20 September 2018, 22:29 Thursday.
  • cjd
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Dec 2004

That Dayton (Aura) is one of the few that side of the insane price line that really does well in a sealed box. Despite reaching surprisingly low, it's usable to a reasonably high frequency as well (though care in the crossover and a lower than usual cross frequency will be to your benefit)

C
    diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• DS-21
      • Jun 2005

What about on the other side of the insane price line? Most expensive drivers just seem too big. I'd be willing to pay, say, 150% of the Scan Disco 10F price for something like that but with more volume displacement. Now, the Accuton "Cell" (which really just looks like an Aura NRT motor with a solid ring instead of chip magnets...) is too dear, but also too large and too "dedicated midrange" so the price is irrelevant.

Comment

• cjd
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Dec 2004

So I was thinking 4" drivers, which got me off to a wrong start.

Actually not priced as bad as I (mis)remembered, how about the CSS VWR126X? I think you'll have to trim the basket to square, but if you do so it might squeeze in. Failure in successfully trimming could make it a more costly than anticipated endeavor...

Reports are the midrange quality is incredible.

Not sure how the Vifa NE123W-08 models up, though it appears it too would need a faceplate trim to work.

I had been thinking there was a Scan-speak mid-woofer, but between bad memory and not paying adequate attention to the dimension requirements, I guess I just got it all wrong.

C
        diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• BOBinGA
          • Mar 2009

There is also the Fostex midwoofers. I've never used them, but the specs look like they would fit your needs. In fact, they almost look like drop in replacements.

The FF-WK series utilizes a double layer paper cone, consisting of a wood pulp fibre base and a KENAF paper surface layer. Which along with a dome shaped aluminium centre cap and pocket neck damper, ensures a fast, realistic high quality sound throughout the range. Exclusively designed for use in bass reflex enclosures, the FF-WK series offers designers a chance to use a full range drive unit in a relatively small cabinet, without compromising on sound quality.

-Bob
          -Bob

The PEDS 2.1 mini system
          My A7 Project - another small desktop speaker
          The B3 Hybrid Dipole - thread incomplete and outdated

Comment

• DS-21
            • Jun 2005

Originally posted by cjd
            Actually not priced as bad as I (mis)remembered, how about the CSS VWR126X? I think you'll have to trim the basket to square, but if you do so it might squeeze in. Failure in successfully trimming could make it a more costly than anticipated endeavor...
            Alas, my klutz factor is too high to trust myself to trim a basket. If it wasn't either the CSS or the 4" Peerless HDS woofers would be great.

Originally posted by BOBinGA
            There is also the Fostex midwoofers. I've never used them, but the specs look like they would fit your needs. In fact, they almost look like drop in replacements.

http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com...-4-full-range/
            Interesting full-ranger. Looks like it really needs augmentation down low, though. For this project, F3 (~120Hz) is too high in a closed box, and volume displacement is a lot lower than the Aurasound NS4/Dayton ND105.

So the Aurasound/Dayton is what I'll probably use, though I'll wait to order until I see what kind of Black Friday discounts PE etc. offer, and if something else interesting comes up between now and then I can always jump on it.

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"